Shockware in firefox (Windows) with Wine

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
john biles

Shockware in firefox (Windows) with Wine

#1 Post by john biles »

Hello everyone,
If you need to use Shockwave and haven't been able this is one way to do it. It's not my idea, I just read on the net that someone had done it this way and it worked.

It's not hard at all, really.
All you need to do is download the Wine version 9.17 dotpup from MU's site and install it.
Note: I tried Version 9.28 from MU's site. While it installed fine, it wouldn't install any Windows Apps I tried? where version 9.17 did?
I found I could successfully install version 1.5 of Firefox, but not version 2 or later.
Once you have Firefox installed, download flash and shockwave into your wine folder and install them by clicking on the exe.
I open wine by navigating to /usr/bin and click on the "wine file" file. I've dragged that file to my desktop for use later.

Note: This test was done in Puppy 2.14

I know that the latest version of Wine 9.54 works in Puppy 3.01 so you'd most likely be able to install a later version of Firefox.

Lastly I'm writing this using the Firefox 1.5 Windows version under Wine.
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

john biles

#2 Post by john biles »

Hello Everyone,
I will continue to experiment to see if I can get Firefox 2.0 working with Wine.
If anyone else has success with Puppy 2 series and gets Firefox 2.0 going, please post how here!

john biles

#3 Post by john biles »

Hello Everyone,
More experimenting has led to Firefox 2.0 Portable Version (Windows) working with Wine 9.17 until I changed the font sizes and it crashed and wouldn't re-open even after re-install?
Also Thunderbird 1.5.0.7 (Windows Version) appears to install fine if anyone is interested.
If anyone reading this knows of a version of Wine later than version 9.17 or (9.28 which appears to have a bug in it and will install but won't install programs) that they have got running in Puppy version 2.14 can you please list the version here.

Also does anyone know of a website that still has Firefox themes for version 1.5 as Firefox's own site only appears to list for download themes for Firefox 2.0 and later.

Lastly you maybe thinking of why do you want a Windows version of Firefox running in Linux. Basically I want "Shockwave" support which isn't available at the moment in Linux. Also it interesting to experiment in seeing what other Windows based plugins will work. I installed Flash and it works. Java didn't install and errored out, but it's early days yet. Shockwave works and that's the main thing.

john biles

#4 Post by john biles »

Hello Again,
While I couldn't install Firefox Version 2 after surfing the net for 10 minutes or so Firefox asked if I wanted to update to version 2.0.6 and expecting problems I tried it and it worked!
I've added themes and entensions and so far so good.

If your going to to try this, remember to link your fonts in /usr/share to ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts as there are no fonts included in Wine in version 9.17

Again writing this using Firefox 2.0.6 Windows version.
Attachments
Firefox 2.0.6 with shockwave plugin.jpg
(117.57 KiB) Downloaded 619 times

john biles

#5 Post by john biles »

Hello Everyone,
Sorry to say upon restarting Firefox 2.0.6 it would begin to open and then crash.
It's interesting that the update went fine and Firefox appeared to work normally. So what ever is missing in the Wine Libs is most likely only required to start Firefox 2.0.6 and may not be required to keep it running?

OH Well, back to Firefox 1.5.0.7
Back to more experimenting

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#6 Post by Béèm »

john biles wrote:Hello Again,
While I couldn't install Firefox Version 2 after surfing the net for 10 minutes or so Firefox asked if I wanted to update to version 2.0.6 and expecting problems I tried it and it worked!
I've added themes and entensions and so far so good.

If your going to to try this, remember to link your fonts in /usr/share to ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts as there are no fonts included in Wine in version 9.17

Again writing this using Firefox 2.0.6 Windows version.
Hi,
Your uploaded picture is way to wide for small screens.
Can you please upload images which are not larger then 700 pixel.
Thank you.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

john biles

#7 Post by john biles »

Hello Everyone,
After days of testing this is what I can recommend.
Wine dotpup version 9.17 works. Wine dotpup version 9.28 had problems and by the postings on this forum at the time it was posted, not many got it to work, which is a real shame.
Checking at the Wine site showed that from version 9.27 Firefox 2 appeared to work.
So if your using Puppy 2 series then install Wine version 9.17 from MU's site. Then find a copy of Firefox 1.5 for Windows and install it.
Now as above in earlier postings link your fonts to wine or Firefox's fonts looks really ugly.
Now you'll be able like a Windows User to easily install Flash when you visit Youtube and install shockwave for Adobe. The later you'll need to download first.
I've had enough in trying to get Firefox 2 working and after days working on and off on this I feel like smashing this screen with a hammer.
To tell you the true there is much to love about Linux. But until I can install a program by just clicking on a exe file like the average Windows user can and expect it to work, Linux is going to be used by the selected few who use it now.
One great advantage about this is Linux will still be the number one OS for surfing the net and not have to worry about many nasties EG Virus's
As before writing this from Firefox 1.5 running in Wine