oigle

PPM

#1 Post by oigle »

I am a newbie and need some help with the PPM
Processor Intel Pentium4 1.6GHz
Memory 256MB (79MB used)
Operating System Puppy Linux 0.43
NIC 3Com C905 (and others)
I got the CD from WA and installed Puppy to the HDD on an EXT2 partition and a swap Partiton.
(using CatDude How to do a full install of Puppy, to an empty HDD - It is not for 4.3 but the best I found)
It connects thru' a router (Cisco Linksystem WRP54GP2) to a ADHL modem ( D-Link DSL 502T)

The internet works well,---- Conclusion no problem with the router modem ot NIC.
A problem occurs when using the PPM and some HELP files, (That is why I got the CD)
click - Configure package manager - Update now

I get a yellow splash with --http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... f-official.
etc. Then - enter
I get an orange splash with (some stuff) then -- Connecting to distro.ibiblio.org|1.0.0.0|:80...
Then after flashing the router and internet lights a few times but it hangs (continuing to flash internet LEDs every few seconds)
If I connect directly to the ADSL modem I get the same result.

Puppy Package:preinstall ( this looks a little different to the screen shots I have found on thr internet)
Click - Seahaven card game - More info -- and up comes Wikipedia and all the info - great, it works - but...
Click - Install Seahaven-1.5-pup4 and up come a list of sites
Select - ibiblio ( or any other) - Download Packages
I get the orange splash with the same results.

HELP, in general, works, unless the files need to be downloaded then the orange screen of DEATH.
If I use the CD to put puppy on the Toshiba A210 or another old computer (both run XP and the internet well), I get the same results.

Processor 2xAMD Turion 62x2 or Intel Celeron CPU 2.00GHz
Memory 902MB (82MB used) or 514MB (85 MB used)
Operating System Puppy Linux 0.43 Puppy Linux 0.43
NIC Don't know or 3 Com (I think)

My Conclusions (which I doubt)
Modem is common but it is OK for XP or 4.3 except for PPM and HELP called from the internet
Router is common but it is OK for XP or 4.3 except for PPM and HELP called from the internet
PPM is common and I suspect it ---- but no one else is having problems
I am cut off from the Puppy 4.3 specific HELP files.
:cry: