Instux, a project I can never do alone

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Wolfen

Instux, a project I can never do alone

#1 Post by Wolfen »

Hey everyone, I've got an idea.
Why is it hard to sell computers with Linux pre-installed? Well, there are hundreds of Linux distros, and what if one person who buy a PC, don't want that distro? It'd be quite hard to make everyone satisfied.
My idea is to make a distro that is based on some Barebones version of Puppy, or a stripped Wolvix Cub (though Puppy seems to fit better), that contains some scripts for downloading and maybe installing different distros. For example Ubuntu, Debian, Mint, Puppy (the normal version), whatever Linux version we choose.
But I've got no time for this, and I don't have the skills. So I wanted to know if anyone was willing to help me/lead the project. Of course, if there is no interest, then I'll just discard this project.

PS: Sorry that I've been gone for so long, but as I said; too much to do, too little time..

-Stig
Wolfen

Wolfen

#2 Post by Wolfen »

Well, since nobody seems interessed, I'll just forget this idea..
See you later sometime.
Wolfen

muggins

#3 Post by muggins »

people don't post to threads for various reaons, so you shouldn't be discouraged that nobody's interested. you've probably expressed why most people haven't responded:
But I've got no time for this, and I don't have the skills.
and,
too much to do, too little time..
we're all in the same boat!

Wolfen

#4 Post by Wolfen »

Well, thank you, Muggins. I'll maybe try to do it on my own, but the scripts will most surely be some crap.. Anyways, time to start VMWare, run Puppy and try to remaster. Oh, what's the name of the current BareBones Puppy? (I've been away for so long..)
Wolfen

raffy

fat-free

#5 Post by raffy »

It's fat-free: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22650

It's 3.00 upgraded with 3.01 patches.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Wolfen

#6 Post by Wolfen »

Thanks, Raffy. I'll download it now.
Wow, Puppy advances fast in version numbers. To think I joined when it was at 1.8.0r2.. It makes me feel outdated xD
Wolfen

raffy

version

#7 Post by raffy »

Barry ticks the numbering up for every major upgrade of the basic system. so 2+ came into being in 2006 and 3+ this October 2007.

I guess you mean 1.08r2, as the 1+ versions ended at 1.09CE. :)
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

jonyo

#8 Post by jonyo »

Wolfen wrote:Thanks, Raffy. I'll download it now.
Wow, Puppy advances fast in version numbers. To think I joined when it was at 1.8.0r2.. It makes me feel outdated xD
I haven't been away (started ~ 2.12) & can't keep up with pup developments. :)

Wolfen

#9 Post by Wolfen »

Yeah, I was meaning 1.08r2, sorry :)
I've downloaded the Fat-free and booted it in VMware, which works great (for now, at least). I've even made some progress at the first script, which is for downloading Puppy 3.01 (normal version) from ibiblio.org (what's up with the "retro" iso, by the way?). The script I attach here is a bit like an outcast, so it's a bit messy, but it works more or less. If you find something that should be done another way, I'd love it if you just post the code, or the modified script.

Note: This script has not been tested under any Puppy version, only under Wolvix 1.1.0 Hunter, where it seems to run great. But since there may be other/better solutions for Puppy, I'd appreaciate some testing. This is, as mentioned, supposed to run under Fat-free Puppy.

EDIT: Some further testing led to after downloading the iso, by some wierd reason, wget hung up on my Wolvix machine. But I can't find the fault, can it be the empty lines in the echo command?
Attachments
puppydown.sh.tar
(10 KiB) Downloaded 638 times
Last edited by Wolfen on Tue 23 Oct 2007, 19:53, edited 2 times in total.
Wolfen

jonyo

#10 Post by jonyo »

Wolfen wrote:what's up with the "retro" iso, by the way?
Some incompatibility issue come up with older gear (think) so if the one vers acts up, idea is try the retro..

http://www.puppylinux.com/download/release-3.01.htm

Wolfen

#11 Post by Wolfen »

OK, now it by some means works again.. This script is wierd. :shock:
I'm still working on it, and I've started writing on the script to burn the iso too. I might put those two scripts together later though.
Oh, and I don't really feel like uploading it again, it's just minor changes made, maybe later.
Wolfen

jonyo

#12 Post by jonyo »

Ran across some info in regards to the kernel thing..
http://www.puppylinux.com/news/comments ... 009-050044

Wolfen

#13 Post by Wolfen »

OK, I'll post some updates.
Here is both the download script and the burn script. Please, post some feedback. I really need it.
Attachments
puppyinst.tar
(20 KiB) Downloaded 642 times
Wolfen

Wolfen

#14 Post by Wolfen »

Noes! The burning script got erased even before I packed it! :(
Well, until I make it again, here's the Ubuntu 7.10 download script. Please, give some feedback, guys. It's not that hard.
Attachments
ubuntudown.sh.tar
Download script for Ubuntu 7.10
(10 KiB) Downloaded 635 times
Wolfen

Wolfen

#15 Post by Wolfen »

Come on. I can see the scripts have been downloaded some times, why don't anyone post? It really is not that hard to write if it even worked on the computer it ran on.
Anyways, here's the Gentoo script. Since I still don't know how these work, they will all look the same, until I get some feedback.
Attachments
gentoodown.sh.tar
Gentoo 2007.0-r1 for x86 download script
(10 KiB) Downloaded 746 times
Wolfen

Wolfen

#16 Post by Wolfen »

Man, I'm starting to think I'm speaking to deaf ears. This thread's got more than 1000 views, and no one's posted any feedback. What's the point then?

I'll try one more time. This is the Mandriva script, test it out. I know you can. I've been a tester of various things myself on this site, it's not hard to check if the scripts works or not. BUT, this time, I've not had the time to test the script myself, as I've used the bandwith of my network most of the day.
Attachments
mandrivadown.sh.tar
Mandriva 2008 One download script
(10 KiB) Downloaded 517 times
Wolfen

geneven

#17 Post by geneven »

I've viewed your messages because I'm curious about what you're doing, but I am also interested in other things. I don't think we owe testing to you in exchange for looking at your messages. If testing was something we owed, I'd probably have to quit reading messages, since there are so many of them here and on other forums.

Wolfen

#18 Post by Wolfen »

Well, if you don't want to test, then you can at least suggest some distros you want me to include. Because I'm running out of ideas soon.
Wolfen

muggins

#19 Post by muggins »

Actually, if you were doing this for a business you should be very happy as you wouldn't need to maintain a complaints department! I see that your puppy install script has been downloaded 21 times, ubuntu 25, gentoo 17 & mandriva 10 times. I haven't downloaded myself as, being on dialup, i suspect I would be 95 before ubuntu download had finished. But then, what person in their right mind would want to install ubuntu? (sorry BruceB, no sleight intended).

I don't want to denigrate the fine members of our puppy community, but I wonder if anyone downloaded your scripts thinking that you had some new marvelous compression algorithm that had squeezed .isos into tiny packages. Look at this thread:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 25&t=23714

where I've uploaded the mtpaint-3.19 manual in two halves, and one half has been downloaded 24 times, the other 12...well, I suppose that is half! why would anyone want to dload half a manual?

geneven

Distros

#20 Post by geneven »

The distros I've used most are Suse and Mint, and now Puppy. Mepis is one you might consider.

If I were doing this, I might just go down the DistroWatch list for candidates, eliminating most of the Ubuntu-based ones because they are too similar, though Mint is my favorite. Or you could use a list you think is more accurate than the DistroWatch list.