Video success finally on Portege 3040CT notebook

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer video hardware
Delboy

Video success finally on Portege 3040CT notebook

#1 Post by Delboy »

I've tried Puppy on my last two notebooks since V. 1.03 I think with no success due to video card problems - first with Neomagic and then S3 Savage cards. Simple pup worked for a few months on this Portege but i could not get any later Puppies to work the video card with either Xvesa or Xorg. I've been using Wolvix in the meantime and Tinyme both which open up at the correct 1024 x 768 x 16 automatically. I read that Puppy had been redesigned using slackware and thought I would give it one more try.
Bingo!, I thought Puppy Xorg was leaving this old video further 'off the map' but it is now properly supported out of the box! On boot, xorg probes and offers me '1280x1024 x16' as a default which is wrong - too high - but I select it anyway and confirm without a test.
Display is a perfect 1024 x 768 resolution which looks great with the modified XFCE in NOP Puppy (3.01) that I am using. Thanks to all.
[/img]
Toshiba Portege 3440CT, 192mbRAM, 300mhz., 11.5" LCD wth Savage S3 IX MV graphics, Linksys WPC54G-S wireless card and Micronet ADSL2+ router on Tiscali UK.