Puppy CE

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
raffy

launchpad and googlemail

#31 Post by raffy »

Launchpad is a useful project development site. It just requires some familiarization. I haven't used it long enough to tell whether email exchange among members would still be needed.

For exchanging information among developers, googlemail should be able to give each subscribed member a threaded discussion by topic (as long as nobody changes the subject (topic) line).

wingruntled

#32 Post by wingruntled »

tronkel or ??
You may want to talk to John Murga. The below quote is from the phpBB community.
Re: Make a forum readable/postable but invisible

Postby Lumpy Burgertushie on Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:09 am
create a forum, make it private/hidden

create a group that will have access to that hidden forum.
put everyone you want to be able to view/post, etc. that forum in that group.

only give those people the link to that forum/

I think this will do what you want.

robert
This is the way we use to do it. Close to home :)

Pizzasgood

#33 Post by Pizzasgood »

I agree with AJ. A hidden private forum is a Bad Idea. But I do see where having a separate (but not hidden) place for the actual developers to discuss their development related stuff would be nice. Someplace where threads won't be mixed with other unrelated threads, making coordination easier. By "development related" I mean the actual coding and implementing, not the discussion. Because for example, say I modify the install scripts. Anybody else who needs to add a modification to them is going to need to be aware of the work I do so we don't wind up breaking each other's stuff. Having a place to keep all this stuff and nothing else would make it much easier to track each other and know what's going on.

Because I'm confused and have been too busy to keep track lately, has it been cleared up about the whole 2.xx and 3.xx thing now? Are we now doing both 2.xx and a 3.xx CEs?

And for the record, I probably won't be participating much in either of these. I've been messing with Puppy too much for too long, and neglected a bunch of other things. I have given myself an ultimatum to have my Pebble and Isolinux/Syslinux stuff completely done by Sunday, at least for Ecomoney's project. I'll also get it all working for 3.01 (mostly is already). Depending on the time then, I might take a look at 3.02, but I really don't have the time for people to keep changing the rules on me like this. Chances are porting it from 3.01 to 3.02 will be trivial, so I'm not going to make that a high priority. Any monkey with Geany and TkDiff could do it, unless Barry changed the boot and install scripts significantly, in which case it would need to be a monkey who understands BASH a little bit.

For that matter, I don't even know if the 3.xx group wants that stuff in the first place. I'll do it for 3.01 regardless though.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Eyes-Only

#34 Post by Eyes-Only »

Well, wonders of wonders even I agree with AJ on this. And just like he, "I came, I saw, I departed."

Not like it's a big loss as I couldn't have done anything anyway but perhaps test. But I'm not even gonna watch the link now. I'm more good somewhere else on the forum.

Tristement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#35 Post by Lobster »

2.xx and a 3.xx CEs?
"Talking Stick" CE
(maximum stability for older hardware) based on Puppy 2.14r (retro)
"Ive cleared the decks in terms of my (ecomoney's) other work, and will be full-time on the job from now on until it is completed." Robert

Robert' who produces EcoPup is project leader
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/TalkingStick

There is also a 3.xx CE series being planned
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/TalkingStickLassie
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

tronkel

#36 Post by tronkel »

Pizzasgood wrote:
I've been messing with Puppy too much for too long, and neglected a bunch of other things
This looks like hard evidence of the existence of a world outside the time/space of the Puppy Linux Zone. I have always suspected that this world exists, due to various reports that have filtered into this zone from the outside. Has anyone else had experience of this exciting, strange and possibly stressful universe? Is it safe? :shock:
Last edited by tronkel on Thu 07 Feb 2008, 17:56, edited 1 time in total.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

Pizzasgood

#37 Post by Pizzasgood »

It depends on your definition of safe. I'm the type of person who runs alongside then jumps onto runaway tractors so I'm probably not the guy to ask...
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]