great fonts (fontrendering) in puppy

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
deniros

great fonts (fontrendering) in puppy

#1 Post by deniros »

edit: this is probably only usefull on LCD screens.

I created some packages to get great fontrendering in puppy linux. (With bytecode interpreter as well as subpixel hinting). On my screen the difference is extremely noticable. They just look crispy and clear.

The fonts are just as great as in ubuntu after some tweaking.

(maybe i reinvented the wheel here, but i haven't found another way to get this great fontrendering in puppy)

Hope it helps you as well.

you can get them at : http://users.skynet.be/deniro/ft/puppyfonts.html

disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

If you want to improve the rendering even more, I think it is Sit Heel Speek that did a very comprehensive howto. You should be able to find it if you search for sub-pixel rendering.

just as great as in Ubuntu?
Whenever I tried ubuntu it had appalling font rendering - as bad as Puppy's default before Barry improved it... do you have some special Ubuntu?

deniros

#3 Post by deniros »

No, i just used standard ubuntu or xubuntu 7.10. And after changing settings to anti-aias and sub-pixel rendering, i think it has the best and clearest fonts.

I wanted that quality in slackware as well, so i used this patched packages. Now i converted them to pets and i can use them in puppy.

disciple wrote:If you want to improve the rendering even more, I think it is Sit Heel Speek that did a very comprehensive howto. You should be able to find it if you search for sub-pixel rendering.

just as great as in Ubuntu?
Whenever I tried ubuntu it had appalling font rendering - as bad as Puppy's default before Barry improved it... do you have some special Ubuntu?

Eyes-Only

#4 Post by Eyes-Only »

Thanks deniros!

I've copied all the files and perhaps tomorrow when I'm not quite so occupied (I have my grandson coming to spend the night) I'll give this a try. While I'm actually quite pleased with the font rendering in Puppy as it is currently I do know what you mean and Slackware doesn't begin to compare with the font rendering of Debian IMHO although as disciple has pointed out SHS has made tremendous progress in this area.

It's going to be interesting to compare the two and see if it's really as easy as doing this. Thank you for all of your efforts kind sir!

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

Eyes-Only

#5 Post by Eyes-Only »

My apologies Deniros that it's taken me this long to get back to you on this subject. I have very serious memory problems and had entirely forgotten about getting back to you until I'd seen the subject of fonts mentioned elsewhere. So hopefully you're still receiving replies to this thread and will be updated to the change of its status.

I wanted to tell you that for myself I did notice quite an improvement in my fonts after applying your packages and following your instructions to the letter (followed by a reboot for an emptying/refilling of the RAM with the new settings and patches of course).

I wouldn't say that the improvements are "remarkable", or "spectacular" but they are definitely and markedly there without a shadow of a doubt (no pun intended) as the grey shadows to many fonts have disappeared and letters have taken on a blacker, more crisp, definition.

So my verdict would be that if anyone is having troubles with their fonts that antialiasing can't seem to clear up, and they haven't the time to follow (yet) the excellent HOWTO of SHS located here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=10576 then by all means---download and give Deniros's packages a try like I did and you're quite likely to see a definite change/improvement until something better comes along.

Because of this I find myself using Puppy perhaps just a little more than before. And that's definitely a good thing I'm sure we'll all agree. ;)

Thanks Deniros!

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*