Puppy 3 series bugs

Please post any bugs you have found
prehistoric

3.02 alpha 4 bugs

#46 Post by prehistoric »

@tronkel

Just burned 3.02alpha4.iso and booted with "pfix=ram". Boot message says alpha3.
Setup keyboard, video, networking - no problem.
Change background; conkey background stays same.
Insert flash drive to save setup. Shutdown blanks screen, can't even tell if there is a message about saving.

Personal preference: on a small screen like my laptop I'd prefer to have conkey near the top, with that background. I still prefer galculator to calcoo. I was happy with JWM, (but then any interface has to be better than the O26 keypunch I started computing with.)

Puzzled: the amount of free memory and the memory use displayed by conkey don't add up, alpha 4 appears to have substantially less free than alpha 3. Could it be difference in booting alpha 3 off USB flash and booting alpha 4 off CD?

Substantial changes between last two versions, have to expect some problems. The behavior at shutdown is the only killer I see.

urban soul
Location: "Killing a nerd is not as much fun as ist sounds" B.Simpson

#47 Post by urban soul »

Hi Barry,

I tested net-setup v.398 and everything works fine. I found only one little inconsistency which does not affect any of its functionality (in the extraction of iwlist params).

wag-profiles.sh v3.98:
line 1012:

Code: Select all

buildScanWindow()
# ... #

SCANALL=`iwlist ${INTERFACE} scan`
   echo "X"
   #SCAN_LIST=`echo "$SCANALL" | grep 'Cell\|ESSID\|Mode\|Frequency\|Quality\|Encryption\|Channel'`
   #urban: no such param in iwlist: "Quality" 
   #urban: (cleanup only, does NOT affect functionality!) 
   #urban: note: "channel" is in found in the same line as "Frequency"
   #urban: replaced 1 line
   SCAN_LIST=`echo "$SCANALL" | grep 'Cell\|ESSID\|Mode\|Frequency\|Signal\|Encryption'`
line 1128:

Code: Select all

getCellParameters()
# ... #

#urban : not used anyway. Commented out 2 lines.
   #CELL_QUALITY=`echo "$SCAN_CELL" | grep "Quality=" | cut -d":" -f2-` 
   #[ ! "$CELL_QUALITY" ] && CELL_QUALITY=`echo "$SCAN_CELL" | grep "Quality" | tr -s ' '`
I tested it with my autoconnect script, which may fit into the usability-concept of puppy: regardless of where you are with you laptop, press a connect button and it will search profiles.conf for usable "titles" and connect you. Press again and radio is turned off.
You can set priority of profiles by re-ordering them in profiles.conf. Version 1.0 coming out soon. If feedback is positive, I make a nice GUI or tray app. Can rework pwireless to use profiles.conf as database also.

greetings,
urban
Attachments
wag-profiles398.tar.gz
optional code cleanup
(9.38 KiB) Downloaded 467 times