Puppy 3 series bugs

Please post any bugs you have found
pdrito

#16 Post by pdrito »

BarryK,

Sorry, you are right, my mistake.
The files missing on my / Directory should be pup_302.sfs and zdrv_302.sfs.

I think the best way to explain what are talking about is to put 2 captures of my desktop, running Puppy.

1.- Running Puppy-2.15CE
On this capture you can see the zdrv_215.sfs and pup_215.sfs files. Both are loaded automatically by Puppy to / Directory..
Plus the kde-bits_215.sfs file. This one I put on my / Directory, and then save the multisession CD/DVD.
When reboot, I have the 3 sfs files and new software working (k3b on the kde-bits_215.sfs file)

2.- Running Puppy-3.02alpha1

On this capture you can not find any sfs file on my / Directory.
Puppy dont load zdrv_302.sfs or pup_302.sfs on my / Directory, by default..
If I try to put (copy) any sfs file on my / Directory, and save the session to CD/DVD , then after reboot, It will not appears on / Directory.

Hope have make a better explanation.

pdrito.

(Sorry for the img size; Now resized according) :oops:
Attachments
puppy.3.02.alpha1.Desktop2.png
(95.54 KiB) Downloaded 1329 times
Last edited by pdrito on Sat 02 Feb 2008, 21:37, edited 2 times in total.

nic2109

#17 Post by nic2109 »

One BIG thing (for me) about this release is that it includes WPA encryption, and it works right out of the box.

A minor buglet is that the network connection wizard needs to be re-run each time to load and use the saved profile - it doesn't "remember" to use it. There's no such problem with eth0 wired which is picked up on re-boot just fine.

Nick

Dell Inspiron 9400 / 1Gb RAM / ATi X300 / SATA Disk / Intel PRO/Wireless

tronkel

#18 Post by tronkel »

re Alienjeff's ee100pro problem

Barry wrote:
f you have a frugal install then it may be an issue with Puppy unable to find the zdrv file, so can't fetch the eepro100 module.
I tried using 302Retro (built but not yet uploaded) on my machine here.
With this version I also lost all the modules including eepro100.

I then copied the zdrv.sfs to '/' on the home partition, (hda1 or whatever)
The module is now accessible and can be loaded.

If you are using a frugal install try this.

You could also find that the video problems are sorted.

If you want to try this along with a retro version of 302 alpha, I should have that uploaded to www.puppylinux.ca/tpp/tronkel shortly. Give it a couple of hours or so.

Let me know how you get on
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

Sage

#19 Post by Sage »

Jeez - these giant pictures are driving me crazy. And not a moderating moderator in sight to wave the big stick and make the adjustments.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#20 Post by Lobster »

gxine seems all over the place. Some versions of Puppy it works. Then not. It is a complex piece of work but Puppy get's the blame if components fail . . .
Last edited by Lobster on Mon 04 Feb 2008, 06:50, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Tui

#21 Post by Tui »

Sage, Here is another one for you, get on with your helping us guys!

BarryK
said back on this thread that " this is the same as puppy v3.01,then why this problem in v3.02alpha1 ? This is the first time I have had this problem in the use of this function in all the puppy versions I have tried. - why now?

The latest blog stated changes to the puppy-UNLEASHED with the
adding of some files - I can't find them, where are they ?

Also stated that you had to go thro' and change packages.txt in
the UNLEASHED and "replace on every line --" does that mean
that I have to go thro' and change the files in the 600mb or so I
d/l ed some hours age ? I also note that there has been no update change as to change of "date" Should this not be updated also? - This I thought may also indicate a change has taken place
for someone who may have re -visited the download site.

Please please advise of what I should do !
Last edited by Tui on Sun 03 Feb 2008, 05:26, edited 1 time in total.

alienjeff

#22 Post by alienjeff »

@tronkel:
Many thanks for all your efforts in providing a v3.02alpha1retro. I downloaded and tested it, yet experience the same problems with the i810 video with Xvesa, Xorg and Xvidtune. The retro does find, load and save the eepro100 module, though!

@nobody in particular:
The handwriting on the wall can still be read as the sun sets. Holding out for i810 compatibility seems futile. The meager HP Pavilion XE736 runs like a champ with v2.12, so it's time to step out of the ring. Good luck with the 3 and 4 series, as well as the divergent CEs.

This is alienjeff reporting live from Winsted, CT. Back to you, Katie.

P.S. @ tui:
Please RESIZE THE SCREENSHOTS, ffs.
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

Sage

#23 Post by Sage »

Tui: Do we understand that your oversized pictures are deliberate?
For myself, I use 800x600 on account of poor eyesight, not lack of HW. There are regular visitors here who are a lot older than me, although age is no marker for the misfortune of less than 20/20. Furthermore, there are millions of less fortunate folks using gifted 14" monitors because they are poorer than either you or me. Frankly, you should be ashamed, having been advised of the reality several times. As you'll appreciate, there is no proper moderation on this Forum, just a long-suffering, hard-working benefactor and a sidekick who prefers to take cheap shots rather than accept responsibility for actioning necessary changes and admonishing miscreants. Other boards may be even less tolerant. Please resize your pictures and let's stop this childish behaviour. If you're still having problems with this - ask for help or search out the original thread with definitive advice which seems to elude Hr. Obermeister. Argument between those well-able to defend themselves is par for the course, but try being considerate towards those who may be unable to improve their lot.

Tui

#24 Post by Tui »

Hi Sage it's me again.
Well about the pixs, yes they look big-big and
very big with the res set at 800x600.

I have also found another problems in viewing this thread and other
threads on this the puppy forum. By the way I also could be past
the useby date in age!

I have been making check of res setup on puppylinux i.e. I have
been using 1024x768 this has got the look on my MS-WINDOWS machine of 800x600. and if I use 1024x768 on MS-WINDOWS I need
times 5 reading glasses to view. So what does that mean ! ???!

So apart from having on my set res of 1024x768 a screenshot
that looks oversize to you looks ok to me! But the file size can
be rather big, 400kb or so. reduced size can be a bit more eco on the
server.

I also note that page2 of this thread has the text and my last
screenshot well outside the viewable of screen.

Page1 fits ok! Maybe I should post a shot- ah- not this time

I am using the default browser of puppylinux - seamonkey,
maybe Firefox would be different. I will have to do a d/l and check.

Cheers Tui

HairyWill

#25 Post by HairyWill »

Tui
The timezone stuff is already reported on the previous page. Here is Barry's response
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 546#171546
Will
contribute: [url=http://www.puppylinux.org]community website[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6c3nm6]screenshots[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6j2gbz]puplets[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/57gykn]wiki[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/5dgr83]rss[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#26 Post by BarryK »

nic2109 wrote:A minor buglet is that the network connection wizard needs to be re-run each time to load and use the saved profile - it doesn't "remember" to use it. There's no such problem with eth0 wired which is picked up on re-boot just fine.
The guys who are currently maintaining the Network Wizard need to pick that one up. There was rarsa, tempestuous also I think, then pizzasgood had a look at it recently ...so I don't really know who wants to take this one on.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#27 Post by BarryK »

Tui wrote:The latest blog stated changes to the puppy-UNLEASHED with the
adding of some files - I can't find them, where are they ?

Also stated that you had to go thro' and change packages.txt in
the UNLEASHED and "replace on every line --" does that mean
that I have to go thro' and change the files in the 600mb or so I
d/l ed some hours age ? I also note that there has been no update change as to change of "date" Should this not be updated also? - This I thought may also indicate a change has taken place
for someone who may have re -visited the download site.

Please please advise of what I should do !
My announcement was quite clear, or so I thought. The ibiblio site (3.02alpha1 directory) has a new file 'packages.txt' and a new 'glibc-2.5-1'. Replace the packages.txt that is in the 'puppy-unleashed' directory and put the new glibc package into puppy-unleashed/packages directory. After expanding them of course. The directory 'puppy-unleashed' is what you get after expanding the 'puppy-unleashed-3.02alpha1.tar.gz'.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

ecomoney

Pretty Puppy

#28 Post by ecomoney »

First off, Barry THANK YOU for creating easily the best looking puppy so far, this stands head and shoulders above anything yet created in terms of aesthetics.I hope it is a sign of things to come. A look like this will do a lot to attract new users to puppy and getting them to explore linux, and is not something that should be taken as unimportant.

I havnt had chance to test much, the only bug I can find so far is on the cups wizard. Drop down combo boxes dont seem to render proplerly (no down cheveron). Netsurf is a big improvement on dillo, but have you considered the newcomer Skipstone as a browser? Currently the browser window is the application with the longest startup time of any of the apps in puppy, from some tests we were doing skipstone would start in about 1/8th of the time, and still give a very useable browser, both for displaying cups config and help files, and actually surfing the net. It uses the Gecko 1.8 rendering engine (and flash9), so it should be as compatible with most webpages as Seamonkey.

It is a shame about the hardware support as overall this is very promising, Intel 810/815 chipsets are very common and should be support (puppy has had problems for a while with them). Im pleased to report the sound works on my AC97 onboard sound as well (an improvement on previous 3.xx versions). The epp100 network driver is very commonly used for a great many cards and should be included. If this can be tightened up then this will be a very useable distro for not-quite-so-old machines.
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#29 Post by Béèm »

Tui wrote:Hi Sage it's me again.
Well about the pixs, yes they look big-big and
very big with the res set at 800x600.

I have also found another problems in viewing this thread and other
threads on this the puppy forum. By the way I also could be past
the useby date in age!

I have been making check of res setup on puppylinux i.e. I have
been using 1024x768 this has got the look on my MS-WINDOWS machine of 800x600. and if I use 1024x768 on MS-WINDOWS I need
times 5 reading glasses to view. So what does that mean ! ???!

So apart from having on my set res of 1024x768 a screenshot
that looks oversize to you looks ok to me! But the file size can
be rather big, 400kb or so. reduced size can be a bit more eco on the
server.

I also note that page2 of this thread has the text and my last
screenshot well outside the viewable of screen.

Page1 fits ok! Maybe I should post a shot- ah- not this time

I am using the default browser of puppylinux - seamonkey,
maybe Firefox would be different. I will have to do a d/l and check.

Cheers Tui
Your screenshots are always oversized for me and I hate it.
I only have a 14" screen.
Screenshot which are really 800x600 display perfectly well on my screen.
I didn't understand any thing about your explanation of 800x600 being huge.
So please find a solution.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#30 Post by Béèm »

Tui, I found that the best size to add a picture is 700x525 and not 800x600
I reduced yours to it and now it displays correctly on a 14" screen.
Please take this into consideration.
Attachments
K2.6.21.7A.jpg
(46.2 KiB) Downloaded 884 times
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

NathanO

#31 Post by NathanO »

Testing at the San Antonio Public Library WIFI. Took 3 reboots, four scans on this last reboot, and two auto DHCP to get the WIFI on this HP zv6000 laptop to stay 'on'. 3.01 never had this problem here.

Will test at San Antonio College tonight. I always have problems there.

NathanO

NathanO

#32 Post by NathanO »

At San Antonio College, managed to get on WIFI with only three 'scan', 'choose', and two auto DHCP. There seems to be a problem with keeping the WIFI in this HP zv6000 laptop 'on' between scanning for a connection and doing the auto DHCP. Once it gets an IP address then it will stay on.

This was not a problem with 3.01.

NathanO

nic2109

#33 Post by nic2109 »

BarryK wrote:
nic2109 wrote:A minor buglet is that the network connection wizard needs to be re-run each time to load and use the saved profile - it doesn't "remember" to use it. There's no such problem with eth0 wired which is picked up on re-boot just fine.
The guys who are currently maintaining the Network Wizard need to pick that one up. There was rarsa, tempestuous also I think, then pizzasgood had a look at it recently ...so I don't really know who wants to take this one on.
Has anyone had a look at this yet, or have I posted a howler?

I actually meant this for the Dingo Alpha 6 (Retro kernel) thread. :oops: It really IS a problem there, so might be in 3.02-alpha-1too.

Nick
[color=darkblue][b][size=150]Nick[/size][/b][/color]

WhoDo

#34 Post by WhoDo »

AJ, to avoid confusion with later versions, would you mind renaming this thread as Puppy 3 Series Bugs? I know you don't have to, but it would be helpful.

Thank you.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

alienjeff

#35 Post by alienjeff »

Hi Warren.

The title is version, state and state-number specific. It was chosen with the express interest of avoiding confusion.

"Puppy 3 Series" is a rather broad umbrella, at least IMO. It covers:

3.00alpha(s)
3.00beta(s)
3.00 final
3.00retro
3.00 fat free
3.01alpha(s)
3.01beta(s)
3.01 final
3.01retro
3.01 fat free
3.01-NOP
3.01-NOP-rev1
Chihuahua(s)
DCL
Fire Hydrant Featherweight 3.0b
Fire Hydrant FHmainAbi3.0b
Fire Hydrant FMmainOoffice3.0b
Fire Hydrant Inferno3.0b
Fire Hydrant FH_Jwm3.01c
Lassie(s)
LighthousePup 3.01a4
LighthousePup 3.01a4oo2.2
Pupeee
Shard 3.01
Talking Stick(s)

... and perhaps more, but I've run out of time and interest in hunting them down.

I'll be more than happy to change the topic to your choice, however in light of the above, I'd appreciate an explanation of how it will avoid confusion. And please forgive me if I'm missing something obvious here.
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]