Muppy 008.2 (Feb 01, 2008) outdated

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Barburo

Download Difficulties

#16 Post by Barburo »

I have tried through the week to download Mini-Muppy and Minisys-Linux and Add-ons for 008.2 from both sites. I keep getting incomplete files or files with incorrect MD5 sums. Download speeds are also kind of slow.
Are these downloads available anywhere else? Any advice?

MU

#17 Post by MU »

wget -c --referer=http://puppyisos.org http://puppyisos.org/isos/2008-01-to-06 ... 8.2-EN.iso

Or:
wget -c http://puppyfiles.ca/puppyisos/isos/Mup ... 8.2-EN.iso

If the download stops and does not continue, interrupt wget with "ctrl - c" and start the same command again.
Then wget continues where it stopped before.
wget is more reliable than using webbrowsers.
Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

Caneri

#18 Post by Caneri »

Barburo,

puppylinux.ca is having a problem with a main server/pipe out of Calgary.

It will be fixed in the near future.

My apologies.

Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

tlchost

Burning Live-CD

#19 Post by tlchost »

I can't seem to find Burniso2cd in the distribution.

What should I use to remaster a Live-CD

Note: I did add Burniso2cd to /usr/sbin and attempted to add
prog "Burniso2cd burn iso file to CD/DVD" "mini-cd.xpm" burniso2cd
to the menu.

Looks fine, remastered OK....but the menu entry above is no longer in the menu. What should I do to not loose it?

Thanks

MU

#20 Post by MU »

You can use pburn, which is the standard-cdburner in Muppy.
I had bug-reports concerning other burning-utilities like burniso2cd (problems with Xdialog), and so focus on pburn.

What do you think of pburn?
From which Puppy did you take a working version of burniso2cd?

To add a program to the menu, create a .desktop file for it in /usr/share/applications.
Use pburn.desktop as template.
Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

tlchost

#21 Post by tlchost »

MU wrote:You can use pburn, which is the standard-cdburner in Muppy.
I had bug-reports concerning other burning-utilities like burniso2cd (problems with Xdialog), and so focus on pburn.

What do you think of pburn?
From which Puppy did you take a working version of burniso2cd?
Pburn looks nice, burns to a CD, but will not write to my DVD drive, with either DVD+RW or DVD-RW.

Not sure what version...if you had it in the 008 version then t was from there.

MU wrote: To add a program to the menu, create a .desktop file for it in /usr/share/applications.
Use pburn.desktop as template.
Mark
Thanks....I copied that file in from another distro...works fine.

The time display is hosed....while I set the system for -5, while the display shows the correct time...it says +5. Weird.

Thanks so much for this version....Having Open Office and Firefox that handles Java is very helpful...and the wine lets me run some of the windows stuff I need.

changturkey

#22 Post by changturkey »

Does this have the newer ALSAs?

MU

#23 Post by MU »

It is the one from Puppy 3.01.
alsactl --version
alsactl version 1.0.14
Mark

changturkey

#24 Post by changturkey »

MU wrote:It is the one from Puppy 3.01.
alsactl --version
alsactl version 1.0.14
Mark
Is there any way to update it to 1.0.16?

Barburo

Muppy 008.2 feedback.

#25 Post by Barburo »

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the wget tip - that fixed the download problems. Some questions and observations about Muppy 008.2:
I am running an HP Pavilion tx1000 laptop with twin AMD Turion processors and 2Gb memory, 713Mb Swap partition. I have to tweak xorg.conf to get the screen to display, by adding an extra definition for screen1, but I need to do that for basic Puppy 3.01 anyway. nVidia installs quickly with no problems.

The first time I booted 008.2 from CD I allowed it to pick up my previous 008 save file. I needed Thunderbird and Firefox so I thought it would be easy, but I got strange results after the files were upgraded. It worked but CPU quickly went to 100%, and Rox opened very slowly (10-15 second delay) , so I reverted to a clean install with a new save file and those symptoms disappeared. With the .sfs file mounter I can get some files I need from previous versions. Too bad you lost the background file with the red maple leaf (it was called Poets something) - I liked it.

Each time I boot 008.2 the initial screen displays with the "MiniSys" logo, then more than 20 seconds passes before the task bar, conky, clock and icedock appear on the screen. Is this delay unusual? My system should be fast enough i'm thinking. After downloading and rebooting with the add-ons.sfs file I found that the delay goes away. Curious.

I tried pcmanfm - you're right about it quitting when you try to open folders containing large or many images. With Xfe on the desktop anyway I find this switch between file managers a bit redundant. I think I like Xfe better than pcmanfm but you probably have your reasons. Is it connected with gtk1 and gtk2?

I have not tried pwget but it should make downloading easier especially as you can specify where to download the file (I ran out of space a couple of times using wget in a terminal). Xwget "help" and "About" don't display on my machine. Netsurf can't display - but you can use Rox to navigate to the folder.

Minisys-Linux: I'm not sure what this is for or what it does.

I downloaded the add-ons.sfs file and booted with it.
Widgets: I looked at clock, calendar and weather. Got my city code from weather.com but it didn't update the applet ( I got N/A ...loading). Calendar shows holidays but you can't enter your own events. Clock is OK but not as good as analog clock. Have you seen what TazOC has done for analog clock in LighthousePup (based on 2.15CE)? It seems a bit more flexible if it can be ported to 3.01.

Mark, overall I like what you are doing with Muppy - it's full of extra functionality - I'm looking forward to testing each app as the need arises. I don't think widgets bring any increased functionality to the desktop, but I guess some people like the appearance (and Vista has them) so it's a function versus form kind of thing. Keep the versions coming and I'll do my best to test them out. CUPS didn't work very well last time so that's next for testing.
--Barburo.

MU

#26 Post by MU »

Muppy is a bit slow at startup because it runs "fixmenus".
The next version will use a patch for quicker startup:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=26170

However this does not explain, why it takes 20 seconds, while with the addon.sfs it is quicker.
I'm a bit irritated by that.

Deskletts: shure, only eyecandy. But many people love it, but it will remain optional (in the addon, not in the base).

Background - hmm.. why is it gone :shock:
Must search why it was removed. I quite like it, too.

Upgrade:
I had made some test-updates here, and that worked ok so far.
But you never know, how instable things become, especially if you had installed own programs before.
I wish I had a solution for that.
A while ago I started writing an "import-wizard", so you could import some settings from an old pup_save.2fs.
So it would become very easy to start with a new one.
However there remains the risk, that automated steps like in a wizard oversee things.
People are chaotic, and do not use "/root/my-documents" to save everything.
This makes it difficult.
But I will keep an eye on this issue.

The clock:
no, had no look yet.
If I find some time, I will look at it.

Thanks for your detailed report of your impressions and experiences, they are very welcome :)
Mark

asburylad

Muppy - The Next Version

#27 Post by asburylad »

Hi Mu

I discovered your excellent Muppy derivative of Puppylinux some time ago. I especially the sharp, crisp looking icons and desktop look.
Other Puppy derivatives seem look fuzzy to me. I also like the apps you included, Firefox, OpenOffice, XMMS, etc.

I have yet to get any sound from the current version of Muppy, Puppylinux (3.01) or the previous version. I've spent many hours and several posts to this board trying to get the ALSA sound module to work and have essentially given up.

The only Puppylinux version where the sound works for me is the current version of PizzaPup based on Puppy (v2.?) and the current Alpha4 version of Puppylinux (Dingo).

My question is; since the official version of Dingo will probably be released in March-April, will you be updating Muppy based on that version
so I can finally hear Muppy ?

Thanks
Asburylad

Barburo

Alsa Sound

#28 Post by Barburo »

@asburylad
When puppy 2.14 came out I was having unresolvable sound problems.
What fixed things for me was to change the slot for the sound card. You could try moving your sound card to a different slot or swap it with another if you've no room. No idea why it worked but it just did.

aragon

Problems with Muppy 008.2 Standard DE

#29 Post by aragon »

Hi MU,

i've downloaded the german standard edtion and am trying to use it on my business pc.

The following problems occur with using the live-cd:

1. Using of XORG failled completely. Whatever resolution i'm using with xorg-wizard the screen went black and nothing happens any more.

2. Using the XVESA i was able to get through to the desktop. There, i was unable to do anything because of the high system load. It seems that the loaded python is overloading the system. After killing python it worked a little better but the system load remained high and working is not possible.

My pc is a Dell Optiplex GX280, Pentium 4 2,8 Ghz, with 512 MB ram. I think it should cope with muppy even from a live-cd. Graphic card is onboard with an Intel 82915G chipset.

Do you have any suggestion how to handle this?

Thanks
aragon

MU

#30 Post by MU »

Aragon, please try the mini-version without addons.
It has no python.

When you have high system-load in the standad-version, click on the symbol left beside the clock on bottom.
This will open "gps" , a processviewer.

In gps, use "continuous refresh" , and sort by CPU-usage.
Then you will see, what is so slow.
You can kill that process from gps.

Please tell me then, what it was.

The python-deskletts produce high load at startup, but only for a short moment.
On my Pentium 700 it is acceptable.
So there must be something else wrong, as your computer is much faster than mine.

asburylad

No, no soon upgrade planned to Puppy 4.
Maybe single packages from it.
But it is so completely different from 3, that I fear that it could be instable with all the many addons I made for Muppy.
Also translating everything again is not very encouraging.
Most of Puppys scripts do not support localization, so it takes weeks to translate them again.
I find it more important, to develop own addons now.
I also will look if it mabye makes more sense, to upgrade Muppy with libraries from the upcoming Slackware 13.

Mark

aragon

#31 Post by aragon »

Hi MU,

well tried is with another burned cd but the same happens.

I started with xvesa and killed python and the icedock with apps so that i could work a little.

i started gps, here are the results (but... as i can't surf in muppy - no browser ever started - i wrote the following list by hand and forgot you wrote CPU-usage). So the list is by size, does this help too???

Here's the list:
x 23.060 k
Rox-Filer 16.412 k
3 13.444 k
blinky 13.104 k
freememapplet-t 11.672 k
icewmtray 6.380 k
exposestart 5.240 k
cupsd 3.932 k
autocutsel 3.724 k
xwin 3.024 k
xinit 2.724 k

if this won't help, i will start another trial with the CPU-Usage.

aragon

MU

#32 Post by MU »

yes, this will not help unfortunately.

Please click twice on the cpu-usage.
The first click "sorts" it by lowest usage, the second click will show the most resource-intensive ones first.
Those we need to know.

Mark

aragon

#33 Post by aragon »

Hi Mu,

back again. I tried it once more from a thumbdrive. Boots faster but same problems:

- Xorg does not work. Xvesa works.
- No working possible because of the system/mem-usage.

Here's the list with continuus refresh and cpu-usage:

runexpose: 4.0
3: 2,8
X: 1,2
3: 1,1
iu_gps: 1,0
freememapplet-t: 0,7
wmsm: 0,5
conky: 0,4
kswapd0: 0,3
blinky: 0,3
wmtop: 0,3
loop0: 0,2
autocutsel: 0,2
wmfishtime: 0,2
init: 0,1

Aragon

MU

#34 Post by MU »

that is no high usage.
You can deactivate the start of expose by deleting the entry in "autostart" on the desktop (then restart X).
But 4% CPU-load is not high.

I currently have no idea, what causes your slow performance.
Maybe an erratic display driver?

Anyone has an idea?

Mark

PaulBx1

#35 Post by PaulBx1 »

Hello Mark, I am trying mini-Muppy 008.2. First of all, thanks for thinking about us non-German speakers! :) I took some German in school but never got comfortable with it.

I ran into a couple of snags upgrading from Puppy 2.16.1. My computer is an old Thinkpad A21m with 320MB of memory, and I'm booting from the CDROM.

1) It said "checking if version update" and then nothing for a long while. I'm assuming it went through the usual but it was disconcerting that no printout happened like it usually does with puppy. Is that intentional?

2) I had to run the network wizard to tell it what profile to use. Then my internet connection was OK.

3) It couldn't find my old pup_save. I finally noticed you called yours "msy" so I renamed mine (keeping a backup of course) and then Muppy found it. I'd suggest muppy become pup_save aware, asking if a pup_save should be used, or at least suggesting to the user (if a pup_save is found but no msy_save), that a rename has to take place for muppy to find it.

4) I noticed when I select "reboot computer" from the menu it still prints the message suggesting the computer be turned off. A minor thing...

5) There was a bit of a bobble getting xorg running. When I finally got through running xorgwizard I got xorg running, except I have no wallpaper or icons. Only the menu/taskbar. I am using it now to post this, but probably it would be nice to have icons. :wink:

I think I am going to retrace my steps, this time though I am going to uninstall everything in 2.16.1 first to clean out any extraneous old stuff and also save the upgradefiles from /tmp like I usually do (by the way, that has always been an irritation in Puppy for me - that the upgradefiles only exist over one boot because they are stored in /tmp, so if you forget to save them they are lost forever. I wish they were placed in /root so they'd stay around for a while).

Thanks for all the hard work!
Last edited by PaulBx1 on Wed 20 Feb 2008, 04:24, edited 1 time in total.