Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 08 Dec 2019, 10:45
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Dual-monitors, drag from screen A to B possible?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
yaknowwat

PostPosted: Wed 30 Jan 2008, 22:51    Post subject:  Dual-monitors, drag from screen A to B possible?
Subject description: Trying to see if it's possible to drag an application between screens.

Hi, I managed to get Xorg to work with Dual Nvidia TNT2 M64 cards but no thr problem i noticed is dragging applications between screen 1 and 2 seems to not work out so well. When dragging the application it will loop itself back through the same monitor instead of going from A to B is there a solution to this?

The setup is :
2x single head TNT2 M64 32MiB AGP
No onboard Graphics
2x 17" different brand CRT monitors
XFCE manager because, it seems to have decent support for dual monitors

If anyone is wondering about Dual Monitors, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=170904#170904 I put it in bugs sorry if I posted something already known.
Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Wed 30 Jan 2008, 23:26    Post subject:  

There are three ways to get a multi-monitor setup in Xorg. The most basic is to just give them each their own screens. This is what have to use, and what it sounds like you did. In this case, the two screens are completely independent and as far as I'm aware there is no way to move things between them (though you can launch an app from one screen and have it appear in the other, either by passing in the --display :0.1 (or whatever is appropriate), or by setting the environment variable first export DISPLAY=:0.1 which causes all apps launched from that terminal to use that display).

The second way is the same as the above, but you also enable Xinerama. This is done in the "ServerLayout" section of xorg.conf. Add this:
Code:
   Option         "Xinerama" "on"

With this method, you get one big display that allows dragging. The drawback is that as far as I know, you can't use hardware acceleration with dual cards, except maybe if both cards are identical (don't remember for sure). I'm pretty sure you can use it when using a single dual-headed card though.

The third way is the same as the first, except you enable a feature of your card's driver that lets it use a tech similar to Xinerama but specific to that driver. I think ATI has something like that. This is a driver specific thing though so the details vary based on which card you're using (and many don't have it at all). I have no idea what the capabilities and limitations are. You'd have to research it.

yaknowwat

PostPosted: Thu 31 Jan 2008, 06:04    Post subject:  

Well the cards are identical but they are TNT2's so more than likely I may not be able to do hardware acceleration if I set it up as an extended desktop. Well one of the Cards seems to need cleaning or something because it seems to blur colors out(as in bad streaks) and its not a driver issue. I'll probably mess with the computer some tomorrow. I'll post the results
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: