"Alt+F7 move" in puppy 2.15CE not in 2.17 or 3.01

Booting, installing, newbie
aarf

"Alt+F7 move" in puppy 2.15CE not in 2.17 or 3.01

#1 Post by aarf »

using Alt+F7 (move) in puppy 2.15CE, a move sign would appear where the curser was located and enable you to move the window that you are in, to another place on the screen and everything was fine and able to be viewed.
After puppy 2.15CE (ie. 2.17 and 3.01) this feature was replaced with others that cause the move sign to appear on the top left of the opened window and enable moving from there. on my small screen laptop this doesn't enable me to move the opened window to where I often need it to go. making viewing difficult or impossible in some case.
Had a look at the JVM keyboard shortcuts in 2.15CE but the F7 key doesn't appear in the shortcuts there so it seems that this type of move feature is enabled elsewhere in 2.15CE.
how do I replicate this 2.15CE type of move feature in 3.01 (and subsequent versions)?
Last edited by aarf on Mon 28 Jan 2008, 05:12, edited 1 time in total.

disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

Are you sure 2.15CE used JWM, not icewm?

If you are saying that the key binding is not there and you are right clicking on the taskbar entry and clicking move, you can add the key binding by adding

Code: Select all

<Key mask="A" key="F7">move</Key>
to .jwmrc. The move symbol does appear in the top left, but you can always use the arrow keys to move instead of the mouse. If it is possible to get the move symbol to the middle of the window, I would like to know how...

aarf

#3 Post by aarf »

using Menu> Desktop>JWM configeration. I put your code on the Alt F7key into3.01 giving the same result as the task bar move, and also tried the move using the arrow keys. still not able to move the top of the window higher than the top of the screen which is possible in 2.15CE.

for a example of the problem, try reading the bottom of the menu>setup>puppy package manager in 3.01, and then try using AltF7 in 2.15CE and only then will you be able to see what it says at the bottom of the package manager window.

disciple

#4 Post by disciple »

Oh yes - I see what you mean now. I knew it would put the cursor at the top left, but I didn't realise you couldn't use the move command to move it further up or left.
That isn't very helpful. I think I'll post a feature request to the JWM mailing list about that.

The other way to move windows in JWM is by clicking anywhere on the border with the middle mouse button, and dragging. If you don't have a wide enough border you can open the JWM configuration file and change the windowstyle - width tag. 4 is a good value. Of course, if you're using a laptop without a proper mouse, it might be hard to move windows this way.

---------------
I just saw a screenshot of 2.15CE, and it looks like it used ICEWM rather than JWM, so maybe you should either install icewm, install something like EZpup, that is an expansion pack that comes with themes and stuff, or go back to a version of Puppy with ICEWM.

aarf

#5 Post by aarf »

disciple wrote: The other way to move windows in JWM is by clicking anywhere on the border with the middle mouse button, and dragging. If you don't have a wide enough border you can open the JWM configuration file and change the windowstyle - width tag. 4 is a good value. Of course, if you're using a laptop without a proper mouse, it might be hard to move windows this way.
Thanks. this "clicking anywhere on the border with the middle mouse button [used depressible scroll button], and dragging." works fine . I use a mouse plugged into the round port because the original track point mouse gives me RSI.
the other thing that annoys me about 3.01 and 2.17 is the task bar alternate screen toggle function which was better in 2.15CE, maybe ICEWM will fix that as well.

disciple

#6 Post by disciple »

maybe ICEWM will fix that as well.
yes it will if you preferred how it worked. It's interesting that you prefer it that way - that's one of the aspects of JWM that I find much better than Icewm :)

wingruntled

#7 Post by wingruntled »

aarf
I just found something interesting that mite solve your problem. To move any window around the desktop you can simply go down to the taskbar and rightclick&hold it on that window in the current desktop box on the taskbar that you are useing and move it around and your desktop window will move with it.

disciple

#8 Post by disciple »

Yeah - I forgot about that because I'm using JWM 1.8 :)

aarf

#9 Post by aarf »

wingruntled wrote:aarf
I just found something interesting that mite solve your problem. To move any window around the desktop you can simply go down to the taskbar and rightclick&hold it on that window in the current desktop box on the taskbar that you are useing and move it around and your desktop window will move with it.
neat. thanks.