New Pup for the Eeepc based on Puppy 301

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
dvw86

#46 Post by dvw86 »

I'll work on the track pad next. I had it working earlier in my tests so I know it's possible.

JustGreg

#47 Post by JustGreg »

If you track pad stops working then try:
modprobe evdev
and then restart x-server from the shutdown entry in menu (menu button).

If the track pad starts working after the "modprobe evdev" command, then evdev module is not being loaded at startup. Open the file /etc/rc.d/rc.local in a text editor and check to see if the last line of the file is:"modprobe evdev". If it is not, then enter it.

I just checked with evdev loaded, the track pad will scroll.

Another way is to use the Xorg Video Wizard to re-build and re-set all the xorg files. This will reset the track pad configuration. I hope this helps.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

yamawho

#48 Post by yamawho »

I just checked the md5sum and got c1fa8b03e9862709f64450723e388951
Was the sum updated in the 1st post ?

I would like to install this to my sd card.
How is this done ?

amlucia

#49 Post by amlucia »

Not to thread jack...but can someone point me to or give me the instructions on how to install java plugin for ff in puppy on my eee pc? The java website instructions are poor. thx

chicks

#50 Post by chicks »

nyu wrote: One problem I am facing is
the Touchpad. I can't scroll up/down of web pages. Does anyone
know how to solve this problem?
I was having this problem on a small notebook with an Alps Glidepoint mouse/touchpad (probably similar to what the Eeepc uses) with Puppy 3.01.

Installed the Puppy Dingo alpha release, which uses the 2.6.x kernel, and was delighted that the Glidepoint was recognized and the correct support for it, including the scrolling support, was installed.

Of course this won't help you until a new Eeepc release based on Dingo is released....

Caneri

#51 Post by Caneri »

The new puppy-eee.iso is up at

http://puppylinux.ca/members/Pupeee/

The old one is still there if anyone wants it...just rename it to puppy-eee.iso if there is a need.

Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

John Lewis

#52 Post by John Lewis »

Hi all,

I picked up my eeepc today. Smaller than I thought.

Charged it and tried the built in OS. Its Ok but I'll change the desktop if I keep that OS.

Tried to run Puppy from USB thumb drive. No joy although the drive works on my other computers.

Kept saying "No operating system" or something. I'll check again.

Well wouldn't you know it. Just tried to boot again to check the error message and it worked this time.

I wonder if the usb thumbdrive might be a bit slow or something? I'll play with it while its up then shut down and try again.

John Lewis

scotto_puppy

#53 Post by scotto_puppy »

Hi DVW86

Any chance you have found the time to make a zip of the latest release? It would be much appreciated.

dvw86

#54 Post by dvw86 »

I haven't yet because I was thinking of releasing another update with the trackpad fix, power-off fix, and a new look. What do you think? Too much black?
Attachments
desktop2.png
Possible new look for Pupeee
(179.87 KiB) Downloaded 1758 times
desktop1.png
Possible new look for Pupeee
(160.97 KiB) Downloaded 1746 times

scotto_puppy

#55 Post by scotto_puppy »

dvw86 wrote:I haven't yet because I was thinking of releasing another update with the trackpad fix, power-off fix, and a new look. What do you think? Too much black?
Take your time :)
The trackpad works fine for other apps. other than Firefox
Yes, the power off fix would be marvellous. As to the black, not quite so keen, but I tend to fiddle with mine anyway. But the idea of a different desktop is good so as to differentiate between versions.
BTW: I just love your 301 version for the eee. It is my default boot and I want for nothing more (apart from Firefox/Thunderbird and Streamtuner, which all went on fine.)

dvw86

#56 Post by dvw86 »

scotto_puppy wrote: The trackpad works fine for other apps. other than Firefox.
What doesn't work in Firefox?

dvw86

#57 Post by dvw86 »

Okay, I tried Firefox with and without the trackpad fix. It looks like I better update the iso so people can use the scroll feature.

MyPup

#58 Post by MyPup »

Love the new look and I hear talk of Firefox which would be great ima. Trackpad has been working fine for me but i have been having to modprobe the video to get it to work in skype. I believe that ttuuxxx made a firefox pet that has java and flash with it as this can be a problem to install separately which can be found here http://www.puppylinux.ca/ttuuxxx/programs/ I really have enjoyed being able to use puppy on my tiny lappy thanks again its very nice. One thing i would like in the future would be the ability to use the webcam to take pictures with other than just in skype.
Last edited by MyPup on Sat 16 Feb 2008, 03:32, edited 1 time in total.

dvw86

#59 Post by dvw86 »

Well I changed the menu color a little and I like it much better. I think this will be the new look.
Attachments
desktop3.png
(179.63 KiB) Downloaded 1715 times

klu9

#60 Post by klu9 »

when distributing a minor fix, don't forget about xdelta, so that people with a previous ISO can just download a small patch.

More info:
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/DistributingYourPuplet
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/XdeltA

dvw86

#61 Post by dvw86 »

MyPup wrote:Love the new look and I hear talk of Firefox which would be great ima. Trackpad has been working fine for me but i have been having to modprobe the video to get it to work in skype. I believe that ttuuxxx made a firefox pet that has java and flash with it as this can be a problem to install separately which can be found here http://www.puppylinux.ca/ttuuxxx/programs/ I really have enjoyed being able to use puppy on my tiny lappy thanks again its very nice. One thing i would like in the future would be the ability to use the webcam to take pictures with other than just in skype.
Videoview can be used to take pictures with the web cam. It is a free download, but unfortunately I can not distribute it without paying a fairly large fee. You can download it for yourself though. I thought about including Java but it is quite large. Having it as an .sfs file would be a good way to install it. Also the new update will include the asapm battery monitor instead of batmon. Asapm just looks too good with the new JWM theme to leave it out :)

maddox

#62 Post by maddox »

Hi dvw86,
we (the french puppy users) are interested in translating your soft for the Eeepc.
But first a simple question,
- Do we need an Eeepc to run the soft to start translating,
or can it be run on normal pc hardware ?

If it can run on a normal pc, do you agree to let us try translating it ?

Thanks in advance for your hard work bringing puppy to this new machine.

Caneri

#63 Post by Caneri »

Good idea maddox.

Maybe other languages as well if there are other translators around. This seems to be a good fit the purpose of the Eeepc.

Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

dvw86

#64 Post by dvw86 »

By all means start translating it. Everything I do, and Puppy are under the GPL so anyone can modify it. There are some free but copy written applications though such as Skype. I will test it on a standard desktop PC. It should run on any Puppy compatible PC, but my guess is that you will have to run the xorg wizard to get the correct screen resolution. I did not remove anything from Puppy when I made this. I only added what was needed for the Eeepc. I will test it and let you know.

dvw86

#65 Post by dvw86 »

Well I'm posting from Pupeee running on my VIA ML800desktop computer. Everything works as expected. Puppy detected the new monitor and ran the xorg wizard at boot. You should be able to run it on a standard desktop PC and translate it just as if you were running Puppy 3.01.