New Pup for the Eeepc based on Puppy 301

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
AngelEee

Re: New Pup for the Eeepc based on Puppy 301

#376 Post by AngelEee »

So is this a new Eee? like thing? where and when will it hit the market? Thanks Angel

dvw86 wrote:
***UPDATE 2/17/08***
I have changed the main server location. Thanks goes to 1ColdBeer. The new location is:
http://epc.waltonpond.com

You can still download from the mirror hosted by Caneri.
http://puppylinux.ca/members/Pupeee/

Well here it is. The first release of ... What do I call it? Pupeee? Whatever the name, this is an iso that I put together for the Asus Eeepc. It should work for the Intel Classmate as well, but I can not test that since I don't have one. It is a basic install of 301 with all the needed drivers installed. It should boot right up without asking for keyboard layout or screen resolution. Sound works right out of the box (the mic works as well). The webcam modules are installed but I have not been able to get it to work. The wireless card will show up the first time you run the connect wizard. The built in Ethernet port drivers are installed but not loaded. It is listed in the "load module" screen though. ACPI drivers are installed for the numlock and scroll lock keys. Volume up, down, mute, and print screen keys work but you have to use the alt key instead of the function key. The screen brightness keys work with the function key. Other additional items include:

Batmon the battery monitor.
A custom JWM-Tray file with auto hide on to help make use of the small screen.
gtkpod
xmms
xine-ui
xine extra codecs
GQview
English dictionary for Abiword.
A few wallpapers that I liked. My wife took the picture of the default background from our back porch.
A few other things that I may have forgotten.

***UPDATED 2/4/08***
New iso uploaded.

Updates include:
Webcam works! (Be sure to enable it in the bios)
Skype Beta 2 with webcam support.
Better startup script for batmon. (no popup box on first boot)
Rox icons set to automatic size instead of large.
More apps added to the "open with" menu.

***UPDATE 2/21/2008***
New iso uploaded.
It still has the little JWM bug where you have to re-choose the black Vista theme after your second boot (first boot from your pupsave file). This has some requested features and it's not that serious of a bug so I wanted to post it anyways. Updates include:

Trackpad scroll and tap enabled by default.
Asapm battery monitor replaces Batmon.
The shut down bug eliminated (hopefully).
The wireless driver rt2570 is blacklisted since it causes problems on the Classmate. (thanks to Caneri).
New JWM look.

***UPDATE 3/16/2008***
New iso uploaded

Skype is still installed but it is no longer on the desktop. I put it in the start menu instead.
Cleaned up the rest of the start menu a bit. Some of the .desktop files needed modified.
Added icons for the "Open With" menu.
Xmms has been updated to work with ACC files also known as MP4. It still will not work with Apples protected (DRM) ACC files though.
New default wallpaper. (Thanks to Lobster)
Audacity is installed.
Handbrake is installed.
Xplns is installed.
Puppy Control Panel is installed along with murgaLua. This changes a lot of things both now and in the future.
The new Puppy Control Panel gets rid of that annoying JWM bug of having to re-choose the theme.
My Simple Calculator is installed.
sysmsg is installed.
Removed the current gftp server tool as this is now part of the control panel.
Removed the current JWM configuration tool from the start menu since it is now part of the control panel. (It is still in the iso since it is small, but it is not listed in the start menu)
Removed the firewall wizard from the start menu since it is now part of the control panel.
Removed the "Connect" icon from the desktop since it is now part of the control panel.
Removed the network wizard from the start menu since it is now part of the control panel.

Be sure to use a fresh pupsave and delete or rename the old pup_301-eee.sfs file.

md5sum
150a1d9f61160babc04a772b7d3b25dc

Mirrors are welcome :wink:
Size is 139MB
http://waltonpond.com/eeepc/2008-3-16/pupeee-b4.iso

tqwe

modem

#377 Post by tqwe »

@aitch i did some more research. it seems with xandros on the eee to get the usr5637 usb modem woking as you suggested they are using ttyacm0. i looked around in the p4 files i do not seem to have this acmo file. is there a way to have it on pupee4.

@ angelee not to sure what you are asking about, the eeepc has been out for awhile,and there are some good linux operating systems for the eee. the best ones that come to mind are pupee4 and breezy.i hope that helps if not give a few more details and you will get some answers here.

Aitch

#378 Post by Aitch »

@angeleee
So is this a new Eee? like thing? where and when will it hit the market? Thanks Angel
If you are referring to the referenced pupeee links, pupeee is a freely downloadable alternate operating system to the xandros supplied with the Eeepc

If you are referring to this
It says quite clearly in the link "Negroponte unveils new design for the 2nd generation laptop"
A design is not a marketable commodity for public consumption, unfortunately!

@tqwe

Try typing in a console modprobe cdc-acm or modprobe cdc_acm

this may help;

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... d063b5567e

rerwin seems to answer a lot of usb modem problems

or,

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... c6907a591c

as Barry seems to be aware of this, if not post it on that page, where he's asking for testers, or on his blog, maybe?

http://www.puppylinux.com/blog/?page=2

Aitch

tqwe

modem sucess

#379 Post by tqwe »

Just a little update.The Usr5637 usb dialup modem is working.I used info found here by Chriss667 posted in the howto "Internet through a mobile phone.I only added cdc_acm with bootmanager,then typed into terminal the "mknod" 4 lines of code Chriss667 used.I rebooted and installed Wvdial1.5.I ran wvdial it picked up the modem and now i am typing this on the 2geee pupeee4 connecet :wink: :wink: ed through dialup. Thank you Chriss667 and all the others that tried to help me. Tqwe.

Aitch

#380 Post by Aitch »

I love it when a plan comes together
:wink:

well done, glad to have been of assistance

Aitch
Attachments
eusa_dance.gif
(2.4 KiB) Downloaded 2646 times

tqwe

eee usb modem

#381 Post by tqwe »

Aitch,thak you.The usb modem works great other than the litle problem of havting to use gkdial to connect and and wvdial to dissconnect.I find this a little strange but I am sure I will solve this soon,thanks again.

I have inquired about this else where here.

Aitch

#382 Post by Aitch »

@tqwe

Try pming Richard [rerwin] as he's very good on modem problems

Aitch

gingerman

Wireless Problem

#383 Post by gingerman »

I have Asus eee4g. Windows XP installed. Running Pupeee right now from USB Thumb Drive. If I can overcome some problems, I want to install Linux over the XP.

Problem 1: No wireless connection. In XP, it works fine; the thumb drive version works perfectly on my Toshiba Laptop, with no connection problems.
On the Asus, Pupee doesn't seem to find a wireless card.

Problem 2: can't print on any of my printers but that's for another day.

Any suggestions about the wreless problem?

slvrldy17

#384 Post by slvrldy17 »

Check out this thread - the info you need to get wireless and other things working on the EeePC with any 3.01 based puppy is there.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=26567
Always give without remembering - always receive without forgetting.
Alice

dinky

#385 Post by dinky »

Hi folks, have Compiz-Fusion working perfectly on my eeepc, I'm using a modified version of TigerPup 1.6, re-worked for the eeepc. I'm also running in pupmode 13, so writes are saved to the internal SD disk every 30 minutes. Not sure about these figures of the internal disk lasting 25 years without this... my figures were more in the realm of 2 or 3... keep in mind these are very cheap (relatively) laptops, and I don't think they are made to last... not with the xandros setup anyways. The worlds first disposable computers? Have edited init and it's working fine.

Before I make an iso for everyone, I'm stuggling to get this sorted on an sd card which boots in the card reader. Booting is no problem, works fine, but for whatever reason puppy won't recognise it for the save medium... keeps saving the save file to the internal hard drive instead. This is highly irritating, to say the least. Has anyone sorted how to have the save file on a removable sd card? Could someone walk me through it? Thanks.
~dinky

dinky

#386 Post by dinky »

Hi folks, have Compiz-Fusion working perfectly on my eeepc, I'm using a modified version of TigerPup 1.6, re-worked for the eeepc. I'm also running in pupmode 13, so writes are saved to the internal SD disk every 30 minutes. Not sure about these figures of the internal disk lasting 25 years without this... my figures were more in the realm of 2 or 3... keep in mind these are very cheap (relatively) laptops, and I don't think they are made to last... not with the xandros setup anyways. The worlds first disposable computers? Have edited init and it's working fine.

Before I make an iso for everyone, I'm stuggling to get this sorted on an sd card which boots in the card reader. Booting is no problem, works fine, but for whatever reason puppy won't recognise it for the save medium... keeps saving the save file to the internal hard drive instead. This is highly irritating, to say the least. Has anyone sorted how to have the save file on a removable sd card? Could someone walk me through it? Thanks.
~dinky

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#387 Post by Lobster »

Well done so far. 8)
The Universal Installer even in Puppy 4.1 Alpha 3 (though it has support for the Eeepc) does not seem to install to the SD card' internal or in the side slot.

I know Barry did write (probably on his blog) about installing Puppy into the internal SD of his Classmate which has similar architecture.
Does your modified Tigerpup include support for wifi?

Without wifi, I consider the Eeepc to only be 10% functional with Puppy - Internet connection is that important to my usage.

Anyway good luck in your efforts. Compiz + Puppy on Eeepc - m m m :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

dinky

#388 Post by dinky »

Wireless works perfectly, though I've yet to have much luck cracking wep....lol. I'm the same, eeepc is next to useless without the internet. Haven't tried the webcam, and microphone is recognised, but haven't been able to get it working yet. I've wiped xandros from the system.

Getting it running from the internal card was quite easy. All you need to do is add the files for a frugal install, then run the grub config wizard... knowing a bit about grub helps however. The big things have been adding all the extras to make the eeepc run (kudos to the creator of this forum, the work has already been done!), and editing init so that you run in pupmode 13, saving to flash every 30 minutes.... I'm just working out how to remaster this thing... trying to avoid hooking up a cd drive....lol. Will post this up soon.
~dinky

tqwe

tiger pup

#389 Post by tqwe »

Dinky I have been following your posts, you are doing some really interesting things with puppy.Keep up the good work,I look forward to trying out tiger for the eee as soon as you post it,thanks.

Lobster I agree about your wireless comment maybe as well future eee pups could support usb modems and such or make it a little easier to do so. Any way one really has to appreciate all the hard work people are putting into these projects.

Aitch, I sorted out the modem I went back to pupee3 from pupee4, works good now thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

dinky

#390 Post by dinky »

@tqwe:
thanks for your support and interest. I've finally succeded in creating a remastered version of Tigerpup for the eeepc, thanks to dvw86's advice and massive amount of work with puppy for the eeepc. The hardest thing has been the remastering process... pizzasgood edited /usr/sbin/remasterpup2 to include an iso file as an option, which has made this much easier.

I'm still sorting out final bugs, and will hopefully post this sometime tomorrow. The issue now is forcing eeetiger into pupmode 13, so saves are made once every 30 minutes, unless otherwise specified. I have edited init, and have this working on my own eeepc, but haven't gotten it sorted for the remaster yet...

Anyway, more ramblings, will be up soon. Cheers.
~dinky

dinky

#391 Post by dinky »

Ok, here's the test version of eeetiger, a version of TigerPup (compiz-fusion) customised for the eeepc. Thanks to dvw86 and everyone else who has made this possible, I've only had to edit a few files. Go to: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 672#214672 for more details. Cheers!
~dinky

mdisaster2

#392 Post by mdisaster2 »

Great. It really deserves its own thread though ;)

dinky

#393 Post by dinky »

Time time time time time....lol. When I get some more of the stuff I'll even create it's very own wiki page...lol. Any punters willing to help?
dinky

Aitch

#394 Post by Aitch »

One of these any use, dinky? :wink:

Aitch
Attachments
Tuit2.JPG
(28.22 KiB) Downloaded 2206 times

dinky

#395 Post by dinky »

Lol...probably not, but thanks for the help... although, anyone who feels like compiling any docs for either eeepc or TigerPup would be very welcome! Cheers.
~dinky