Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 04 Jun 2020, 22:24
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
New Pup for the Eeepc based on Puppy 301
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 22 of 29 [423 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, ..., 27, 28, 29 Next
magerlab

PostPosted: Wed 16 Apr 2008, 00:06    Post subject:  

seamonkey 1.1.7 works fine( i replaced the folder in /usr/lib/seamonkey
with a new version)
and i have no problem with new addons
also skype upgraded recently to a stable version
there are some calculators n puppy( they are smal in size on the ohter hand)n calculate menu
tqwe

PostPosted: Wed 16 Apr 2008, 06:04    Post subject: boot speed  

hi i would like to know if the the no probe added to grub would also help to reduce the boot time down from 48 seconds. i have 301 installed on the hdc of the eee, full install.
lobster ez pup works fine for me other then the battery monitor not showing any more. i really like the black vista theme. thank you
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Wed 16 Apr 2008, 07:16    Post subject: Re: boot speed  

tqwe wrote:
lobster ez pup works fine for me other then the battery monitor not showing any more. i really like the black vista theme. thank you

You are very welcome Laughing
Embarassed

Even though I maintain a page at tmxxine on Ezpup - it was created
by Warren (WhoDo) Cool
http://tmxxine.com/wik/wikka.php?wakka=EZpup

magerlab

PostPosted: Wed 16 Apr 2008, 14:49    Post subject:  

also i have a thought....
is it possible to deal with ssd of eee pc as puppy works installed on usb drive to reduce writes to it ?
it works in ram and saves only after 30 minutes and in the end of a session
tqwe

PostPosted: Wed 16 Apr 2008, 15:28    Post subject: faster boot  

ok just to let all know with the noprobe mod to grub menu my boot time with pupeee301, ezpup with full install to hdc is now at 33 seconds thats pretty fast. i found the info in an earlier post here thank you.
ronacc

PostPosted: Sat 19 Apr 2008, 12:41    Post subject:  

I am trying to get pupeee b4 to boot from an sdhc card without much luck , I'm having the same problem as smoeky01 , starts to boot , loads kernel and drivers then cant find pup_301.sfs . I have reinstalled using puppy universal installer about 10 times tried different mbr's reformated the sdhc atleast 6 times . pupeee b4 is the only thing that has ever been written to that card , it is a brandnew toshiba 4gb highspeed sdhc , is the problem that I am formating it to ext3 , does it have to be fat16 or 32 ? and note that when it boots it is looking for pup_301.sfs not pup_301-eee.sfs which is what is actualy there ( though I tried renaming it , that didn't help) I have d/l'd b4 twice and burned it to 3 different cd's (all of which boot and run fine) . also I do not get the standard puppy boot message when trying to boot from the card so I can't try feeding it boot parms , the cd's do give the message , I have tried erasing the files after install and copying them back direct from the cd no help , what am I doing wrong ?

edit later in the day , I d/l'd and installed breezy for the eee on an sd card no problem . so why cant I get pupeee to work ?

edit 1 day later finaly figured out what I was doing wrong , my ignorance of the eee ( I only had it 2 hrs when I tried to install pupeee ) caused me to assume I should choose cf connected to ide for the place to create the files , pupeee did see the sd card there but the files apearently were corrupting . the correct choice is USB FLASH ( I thought that was for a usb stick rather than an sd card) I tried both fat 16 and ext3 both worked but ext3 seems to work better and faster . next hurdle I have 2gb ram but pupeee like xandros is only seeing 1 rafy's breeezy also only sees one can this be fixed ?

edit a few says later: again I have to plead mea culpa to ignorance (of puppy this time ) I had immeadately created a pupsave file so the "memory" display in the bottom bar was showing the remains of the pupsave rather than ram . top shows the correct value .

I am doing repeated edits so that others may profit from my errors .
jpa_cds

PostPosted: Wed 30 Apr 2008, 03:00    Post subject: To get the touchpad to work.  

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=26205

Worked fine for me.
8Geee

PostPosted: Mon 12 May 2008, 07:38    Post subject:  

[busted]

OK its pupEEE, meant for an Eee pc. Can I download the iso file to an Eee USB stick, and get syslinux to make the copy to the SD card by copying the /boot (or other directory) ISOLINUX file to the /root and renaming the latter copy to SYSLINUX? Just a start.
magerlab

PostPosted: Tue 13 May 2008, 08:39    Post subject:  

it's much simplier!
just burn on to CD and boot any desktop computer and use Puppy universal installer to install on usb -pen drive
then boot EEE pc and install
read also here ( a very good review of Pupeee)
http://ronnietucker.co.uk/blog/asus-eee-701-notebook-with-puppy-linux/
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Fri 16 May 2008, 01:48    Post subject:  

This script GUI might come in useful to up battery life . . .
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=192826#192826

8Geee

PostPosted: Fri 16 May 2008, 13:13    Post subject:  

magerlab:

no 2nd computer, and the Eee doesn't recognize ISO 9660 filing system (DATA cd-r). There's a way to do this for puppy, wondering if the pupeee can do this trick. After all pupeee is for the Eee PC.
Hedgehog

PostPosted: Sat 17 May 2008, 23:07    Post subject:  

I am using a makeshift dvd drive on my eeepc.

I dont have an external dvd drive, but I do have an eternal hard drive case. I opened it up, and connected an internal dvd drive to it.(I really need to get an external case for the dvd drive.) I am running pupeee on it now. If i can get everything to work that I need, I will install pupeee to my eeepc.

Anybody know how well a smart card reader works with CAC's (command access cards) on puppy?
Jickel

PostPosted: Mon 19 May 2008, 09:35    Post subject:  

Regarding boot times, I got an abysmal five minute bootup time from a frugal install on my 2GB Kingston Datatraveller, though a hdc=modprobe brought that down to a only slightly more acceptable 3m45s.These drives are slow, might buy a Corsair Flash Voyager soon to try out (and 4GB one is about 20 USD in sweden).

A full install on the SSD took 48 seconds to boot, but I switched to frugal before trying the modprobe trick on it. Without modprobe, boot time was a very dissapointing 2 minutes, but with that boot entry it's down to 48 secs, which seems to be the same everyone else is getting.

I only have Firefox installed on my user file, though I might try removing some apps and remastering the pup_xxx.sfs file for a hopefully faster boot. Anyone know if this might have any significant impact? What programs are safe to remove anyway, I heard printing is dependent on Abiword, for one thing.

Last edited by Jickel on Tue 20 May 2008, 07:55; edited 1 time in total
doaks

PostPosted: Mon 19 May 2008, 17:53    Post subject: Fan Control
Subject description: Howto add eee-pc fan control to pupeee

Can anyone help w this. My Eee has fan on full. Pupeee 3b4

Thanks.
magerlab

PostPosted: Tue 20 May 2008, 08:42    Post subject:  

to have a faster boot up you must add
hdc=noprobe to the line in grub
Page 22 of 29 [423 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, ..., 27, 28, 29 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: