New Pup for the Eeepc based on Puppy 301

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
dvw86

#31 Post by dvw86 »

Well I got everything working that I wanted to, but I'm having trouble creating the new iso. I'll keep working on it and post when it's done.

dvw86

#32 Post by dvw86 »

Finished it. Uploading now. :D

amlucia

Install Help

#33 Post by amlucia »

Can someone please post detailed (step by step) instructions for loading this iso to boot from an sd card.

I have tried 100 diffrent (well maybe not 100) ways to do it and nada!!

Thx

eee pc / booting from sd slot / 4g

raffy

simplest way

#34 Post by raffy »

The simplest way is to burn it to CD then boot a PC, and from within Puppy, use Universal Installer to prepare a USB or SD card.

There are utilities for opening an ISO file and getting the files from there (example, MagicISO for Windows). Then you can follow this tutorial:
http://minipc.org/safepup/index.php?fil ... orials.htm
But you have to use vmlinuz, initrd.gz, pup_301.sfs and zdrv_301.sfs from the pupeee ISO.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

dvw86

#35 Post by dvw86 »

Personally I use an external USB CD drive and boot the eeepc off of that. Once it is booted up into Pupeee I can then install it to SD card or the internal SSD drive. I may just make an installer scrip to put Pupeee on the internal drive with a dual boot setup.

dvw86

#36 Post by dvw86 »

New iso uploaded. See the first post. When I get a chance I will make a zip file for it so it will be easier to install for people without an external CD drive.

MyPup

#37 Post by MyPup »

Thanks again for the new version I will try try it out again and use big_bass's suggestion although, im not sure what 848X480 will look like if anyone else is using it on the eeepc maybe they can post some suggestions on what works best for them. I am very interested in dvw86 topic on dual booting and what he is running on his, As he stated he may just make an installer script to put Pupeee on the internal drive with a dual boot setup. Since I have little skills with linux I am interested in seeing what comes up with. I very much like the puppy you made an plan on installing it to mine thanks again everyone for your insight and help.

dvw86

#38 Post by dvw86 »

I am dual booting the default xandros Linux that came with the Eeepc and Pupeee. You can use this post as a guide.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=25243

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#39 Post by Lobster »

guys - thought these hardware upgrades might tempt you . . .
http://beta.ivancover.com/wiki/index.ph ... l_Upgrades
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

John Lewis

#40 Post by John Lewis »

Thanks for the Pup.

I have it downloaded and will get it ready on an SD card while I wait for my eeepc to turn up.

Four in the store on Thursday. When I went in Saturday with my money all were gone. Hope the next shipment turns up in the next week as promised.

Thanks again,

John Lewis

MyPup

#41 Post by MyPup »

Well I couldn"t configure it on the ssd although, big_bass did make the menu1st for me. I did manage to install it back on a sd card and it is working great. I am very happy with it and thanks again for helping me out and others that need something easy and just works. I would like some more information than what is posted about getting the webcab to work. And yes it is enabled in bios. I am a happy pupian and have been ever since the day I came across puppy linux. I hope that you will continue with this project as it is a wonderful edition. [/img]

amlucia

#42 Post by amlucia »

Thanks for the help, got it all working....another question, where do I find that cool desktop "pupeee.png" to d/l....

thx

MyPup

#43 Post by MyPup »

I downloaded the old iso have the new one now and webcam is working I do have a problem still with it shutting down still I have to depress the power button still to get it to totally powereoff after doing a shutdown I have had this problem before with older versions of puppy like 212 not sure why that is. Also I have a problem getting conky to read temp I have conky configured and added modprobe thermal to rc.local but no go. Then alienjeff suggested to add "sleep 5" just under where I added modprobe temp in the local.rc file all is good now. As for the background its not that good had to stretch it but here it is if you like it amlucia.http://img.flashtux.org/img132665020abex88e1752.jpg I'm not sure if i will not just boot pupeee from sd card as it does quite well from sd as it boots faster that way I really do enjoy finally having puppy linux on my eeepc its exactly why I got it for to begin with. Thanks dvw86 for sharing this with us.

dvw86

#44 Post by dvw86 »

As far as the shut down issue goes, I have this from time to time but not always. I even noticed it with the default Xandros OS that came with the Eeepc.

Minnie

#45 Post by Minnie »

Another person asked about how to get the touchpad to scroll. Alas, that's the same problem I'm having. We got Puppy installed on SD cards and it's running fine on the Eeepc (which is a great feat for Linux newbies!). Please, does someone know how to get the touchpad to scroll? THANKS! And thanks to the creator of the program - it's awesome!

dvw86

#46 Post by dvw86 »

I'll work on the track pad next. I had it working earlier in my tests so I know it's possible.

JustGreg

#47 Post by JustGreg »

If you track pad stops working then try:
modprobe evdev
and then restart x-server from the shutdown entry in menu (menu button).

If the track pad starts working after the "modprobe evdev" command, then evdev module is not being loaded at startup. Open the file /etc/rc.d/rc.local in a text editor and check to see if the last line of the file is:"modprobe evdev". If it is not, then enter it.

I just checked with evdev loaded, the track pad will scroll.

Another way is to use the Xorg Video Wizard to re-build and re-set all the xorg files. This will reset the track pad configuration. I hope this helps.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

yamawho

#48 Post by yamawho »

I just checked the md5sum and got c1fa8b03e9862709f64450723e388951
Was the sum updated in the 1st post ?

I would like to install this to my sd card.
How is this done ?

amlucia

#49 Post by amlucia »

Not to thread jack...but can someone point me to or give me the instructions on how to install java plugin for ff in puppy on my eee pc? The java website instructions are poor. thx

chicks

#50 Post by chicks »

nyu wrote: One problem I am facing is
the Touchpad. I can't scroll up/down of web pages. Does anyone
know how to solve this problem?
I was having this problem on a small notebook with an Alps Glidepoint mouse/touchpad (probably similar to what the Eeepc uses) with Puppy 3.01.

Installed the Puppy Dingo alpha release, which uses the 2.6.x kernel, and was delighted that the Glidepoint was recognized and the correct support for it, including the scrolling support, was installed.

Of course this won't help you until a new Eeepc release based on Dingo is released....