New Pup for the Eeepc based on Puppy 301

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
smokey01

#286 Post by smokey01 »

Some time back I bought a couple of A-Data 8G HDSC cards hoping they would speed up boot time for Pupeee. I am a little disappointed as I thought they would be much faster. These cards are supposed to transfer 6M per second where many are around 2M.

There was definitely an improvement in speed but still took about 45 seconds, nothing like the 8 seconds that scotto_puppy had claimed.

I use a frugal install which would be slower than a full install. I haven't worked out how to do a full install on an SD card yet. Does anyone know because the universal installer does not supply this option. I guess you would also need to have the card formatted to EX2. My attempts at this have not been successful either.

The HDSD cards do work well in my camera as well so this is very convenient. It means I can have puppy on the card and save photos there as well.

Dan, here is a thought. Is there a way you could make puppy boot off the SD card and then be able to remove it like booting off a CD.

At the moment when booting off cards or flash drives, a message says you must not remove the media. As the EeePC only has one card slot this would be very handy.

Thanks

Smokey

dvw86

#287 Post by dvw86 »

smokey01 wrote: Dan, here is a thought. Is there a way you could make puppy boot off the SD card and then be able to remove it like booting off a CD.

At the moment when booting off cards or flash drives, a message says you must not remove the media. As the EeePC only has one card slot this would be very handy.

Thanks

Smokey
Well you could not save your sessions to the SD card. You may be able to boot off of the SD card but save your pup_save file to the internal drive. I simply do a frugal install to the built in drive. This way I can still use the SD card slot to transfer files from my camera.

smokey01

#288 Post by smokey01 »

dvw86 wrote:
smokey01 wrote: Dan, here is a thought. Is there a way you could make puppy boot off the SD card and then be able to remove it like booting off a CD.

Thanks

Smokey
Well you could not save your sessions to the SD card. You may be able to boot off of the SD card but save your pup_save file to the internal drive. I simply do a frugal install to the built in drive. This way I can still use the SD card slot to transfer files from my camera.
I had considered that but I was trying to avoid using a boot manager. I don't mind saving the pup_save file on the internal drive but other than that would like to keep it pristine.

The other option of course is to boot pupeee off a USB drive which leaves the card reader free for photos.

Not a biggie, just a suggested added feature.

Smokey

JohnRoberts

#289 Post by JohnRoberts »

Pupeee entry in the Wiki
The built in Ethernet port drivers are installed but not loaded
Guys, how do you enable the ethernet connection? Which module should be loaded?
Help M$ become a Linux distro maintainer...
Force-feed them with Open-Source faster than they can produce patents

scotto_puppy

#290 Post by scotto_puppy »

The module _should_ have loaded automatically. It did for me. However, look through the list of available modules for the eee ethernet driver. It should be there!

tempestuous

#291 Post by tempestuous »

Code: Select all

modprobe atl2

magerlab

#292 Post by magerlab »

i wonder if it's possible to make a cut-off version of puppy linux 3
with only modules for EEEpc
unlike normal puppy we do not need to probe video lan wifi and audio devices
because we know each of them

also is there a way to upgrade bios of eee from linux
( in russia it comes with winxp, wich i wiped off) :P
and now i have 2,5g free

JohnRoberts

#293 Post by JohnRoberts »

scotto_puppy wrote: However, look through the list of available modules for the eee ethernet driver. It should be there!
tempestuous wrote:

modprobe atl2
Many Thanks guys!!! Worked!! :D
I did not see the comment next to the Atheros module, that it's the right one for the Eee (...comment was outside of visible window :oops: )
scotto_puppy wrote: The module _should_ have loaded automatically. It did for me.
:? ...hmmm. That's strange. Was connected to my DSL router but did not autodetect the module.
magerlab wrote:also is there a way to upgrade bios of eee from linux
The way that the default Xandros does it (it is in "Add/Remove Software"), I think, is to copy the image of the BIOS to be updated on the hidden FAT16 partition under the name 701.rom along with a signature file for verification. Then it forces a reboot while activating the EZFlash function of the BIOS. I have the impression that EZFlash only needs a bootable medium and the correct name (I guess the "701.rom" is the right name...). I am positive, this could be automated with any distro, but some input from ASUS is required. What I have seen for sure, is that a 64MB SD/MMC, formatted with FAT16 and DOS bootable, will boot automatically w/o user intervention (from factory BIOS settings the 1st boot device is removable storage...)

JohnRoberts

#294 Post by JohnRoberts »

...with a latest crop, fast USB flash stick (w/o pup_save file, all settings remastered to main .sfs) boot time dropped to 37'' flat.

:lol: where would it go on a "fast" CF (the x266 ones that go over 40MB/sec...)

stjohnh

#295 Post by stjohnh »

Hmmm, I've been using Pupeee B4 for a while but have hit a problem I can't quite solve. I want to remap the Right Shift key (I just can't get used to the factory position, I keep accidentally hitting the up arrow, really hassle) as described in the wiki
http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:moveshift ... hift%20key. This worked fine for the default Xandros, but I am having trouble getting it to work in Pupeee. I wrote the script as described in the wiki, made it executable and tested it in a terminal window, works fine. However, when I put the line that I think should make it work on startup:

/root/my-documents/scripts/setupkbd.sh  at the end of the /ect/rc.d/local.rc file it fails to move the keys. If I exit the window manager to command line only and run the same line I get several lines saying:
xmodmap: unable to open display ' ' (repeated several times) then
xset: unable to open display ' ' (repeated 3 times).

Does anyone know how to get this to work on startup? I'm pretty new to linux, so it may be a very basic error.
Thanks

stjohnh

#296 Post by stjohnh »

Hmmm, I've been using Pupeee B4 for a while but have hit a problem I can't quite solve. I want to remap the Right Shift key (I just can't get used to the factory position, I keep accidentally hitting the up arrow, really hassle) as described in the wiki
http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:moveshift ... hift%20key. This worked fine for the default Xandros, but I am having trouble getting it to work in Pupeee. I wrote the script as described in the wiki, made it executable and tested it in a terminal window, works fine. However, when I put the line that I think should make it work on startup:

/root/my-documents/scripts/setupkbd.sh  at the end of the /ect/rc.d/local.rc file it fails to move the keys. If I exit the window manager to command line only and run the same line I get several lines saying:
xmodmap: unable to open display ' ' (repeated several times) then
xset: unable to open display ' ' (repeated 3 times).

Does anyone know how to get this to work on startup? I'm pretty new to linux, so it may be a very basic error.
Thanks

stjohnh

#297 Post by stjohnh »

Oops, sorry about the double post, I might have hit Submit twice, thinking it didn't respond. Also I'm not sure why the wiki address didn't show up as a hotlink, and the "code" entry didn't format properly, sorry.

magerlab

#298 Post by magerlab »

hey all!
i use puppee frugal on ssd
it works good( as puppy must work!)
but the only disappointing thing is that it bots up slowly( 1,5 minutes)
i have only 128mb save2fs
is there a way to make boot faster?

thank you!

mikeinrichmond

Help...Re: SSD DMA

#299 Post by mikeinrichmond »

if you used the default directory with a frugal install the suggestion would look something like:

title Puppy Linux 3.01 Frugal
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel /puppy301/vmlinuz pmedia=idehd psubdir=puppy301
initrd /puppy301/initrd.gz

all you need to do is change the kernal line a little to look like:

kernel /puppy301/vmlinuz hdc=noprobe pmedia=idehd psubdir=puppy301

[/quote]

I did the full install and my kernel line is

kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdc1 ro vga=normal

it does not have the initrd /puppy301 etc... line at all...

Any ideas? Also this is the pupeee b4 edition if it makes any difference. Thanks.

dvw86

#300 Post by dvw86 »

@ mikeinrichmond

I really recommend using a frugal install. It would be much easier to back up, re-install, and upgrade. Pupeee is still in Beta and I plan on a few more releases before I call it finished.

tempestuous

#301 Post by tempestuous »

magerlab wrote:is it possible to add needed modules for wifi lan and wedcam to a nomal puppy?
where are they situated in Pupeee?
magerlab has just revealed via private message that he is using a Puppy3-series version with "retro" kernel.
This should be the 2.6.18.1 kernel, as used in Puppy2.12-2.16 (but not 2.17)
so extra drivers compatible with this kernel can be found at "Extras for Puppy 2.12 - 2.16" -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=24620

JohnRoberts

#302 Post by JohnRoberts »

magerlab wrote:but the only disappointing thing is that it bots up slowly( 1,5 minutes)
i have only 128mb save2fs
Even with the 128MB save2fs, 90'' seems just abnormally long. If you can find a fast USB flash stick (the 37'' I counted were from a Corsair Voyager 2GB, and maybe there are even faster that this...), using a mirror of your SSD install, how fast does it boot?

Is it not a shame, that beside the SD card reader there is no CF card slot, directly connected to the SSD controller (like a secondary disk)? :roll:
CFs are much more durable that SDs, have higher capacities, faster speeds, have DMA support and ECC functions and a lifetime warranty as well :)

magerlab

#303 Post by magerlab »

i just added
hdc=noprobe and now pupeee boots only in 35 sec!
that's fine

mikeinrichmond

Putting Pupeee on EEE's SSD...

#304 Post by mikeinrichmond »

Is there a way to put Pupeee on the SSD and have it boot in DMA mode? I did a benchmark using hdparm between my install on the SSD and my Transcend 8g class 6 card and the Transcend was almost twice as fast.

I can't remember exactly the install choices in Pupeee but I think I chose to install to 'internal IDE hard drive'. Would it have been different if I chose 'SATA hard drive'?

Thanks for the help! :)
Puppy Power! :lol:

Asus EEE Pc 2G Surf w/ Pupeee 3 on SSD
8G Transcend class 6 SD card
500Gb WD USB HDD

magerlab

#305 Post by magerlab »

also i would like to know if it's possible to rule cpu somehow to save batteries
are there any scripts for that?

the minor issue i have with battery indicator in jwm
sometimes it does not show anything
and conky says that battery is not present