New Pup for the Eeepc based on Puppy 301

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
dvw86

#16 Post by dvw86 »

Hey the webcam works! Turning it on in the bios was the key. I will make a new iso with a roxapp that will load the video modules and explain that you must have the webcan turned on in the bios. I will try to get permission to include videoview with the iso and have the roxapp launch it. I will also include the newest beta version of Skype if the video works in that as well. Also I will use some of the suggestions posted in this thread. Thanks for all the help.

dvw86

#17 Post by dvw86 »

Yep, Skype 2 beta works with the webcam. I will have to wait until my days off to make the new iso, but I will post it as soon as I can.

gary101

#18 Post by gary101 »

Hi

I have the webcam working under 2.16 with no problem.

What works for me is to have everything load from /etc.rc.d/rc.local

Copy of mine below:

modprobe v4l2-common
modprobe v4l1-compat
modprobe videodev
modprobe compat-ioctl123
modprobe uvcvideo

@nyu - touchpad scrolling also works, although you have to tap in the page first. Check /etc/x11/xorg.conf for the line in the "Synaptics Mouse" section.

Option VerticalScrollDelta" mine is set to "100"

Hope this helps

Gary

darrelljon

#19 Post by darrelljon »

JustGreg

#20 Post by JustGreg »

I know I set the webcam BIOS setting to enable. Somehow after using Xandros, the webcam BIOS setting was disabled. After several tries, I found what worked for me. I set the BIOS webcam to enabled and then used Xandros webcam application. I did a complete power down. Powered up to use Pupeee, checked the webcam with videoview and it worked. I rebooted and started Xandros, check the webcam, it worked then shut it down. Started Pupeee up and webcam was working. So if the webcam stops working, then check the BIOS setting, especially after using Xandros.
Last edited by JustGreg on Sun 03 Feb 2008, 01:16, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

JustGreg

#21 Post by JustGreg »

Pupeee uses the batmon for showing the battery condition in the system tray. The batmon program is fine. I happen to like the asapm battery monitor that is part of Dingo better. It looks better to me. Here is how I inserted it into Pupeee. At the time, I was doing this, there was no pet. I think a asapm.pet is now available for Puppy 3.01. I am providing the files and information for the use of anyone else..

First one needs to copy the program asapm to /usr/sbin. I have attached a gzip version of asapm for your use.

Second one needs to modify .jwmrc-tray file. The height of the tray needs to be increased from 26 to 32 pixels. The following code needs to replace the batmon code.

Code: Select all

<!-- asapm battery -->
<Swallow name="asapm">
asapm -u 4
</Swallow>
I have attached modified version of .jwmrc-tray (gzip as jwmrc-tray-asapm) for anyone's use. Just "ungzip" the tray file and rename it .jwmrc-tray and replace the existing .jwmrc-tray file.

Hopefully, asapm will be used in the next update. If not then one can use either the .pet or this post.
Attachments
asapm.gz
(12.66 KiB) Downloaded 1051 times
jwmrc-tray-asapm.gz
(554 Bytes) Downloaded 1027 times
Enjoy life, Just Greg

JustGreg

#22 Post by JustGreg »

I thought that I solved it in the second post above this. The bottom line is after using Xandros, is to check the settings for the devices in the BIOS if you want to use them in Puppy.
Enjoy life, Just Greg

dvw86

#23 Post by dvw86 »

JustGreg wrote:I thought that I solved it in the second post above this. The bottom line is after using Xandros, is to check the settings for the devices in the BIOS if you want to use them in Puppy.
Thanks, I'll be sure to make people aware of that when they start the webcam in Pupeee. Also I've been playing with the asapm battery monitor and I have a couple of issues with it. First of all when the JWM tray is taller the menu button looks terrible. Maybe we could find a different graphic for it so it would look better? Secondly, I think that the asapm battery monitor is un-hiding the taskbar every so often. It results in kind of a flicker effect. Have you had this problem too? I wanted to update the iso tomorrow, but I'm still kind of "on the fence" about the battery monitor.

JustGreg

#24 Post by JustGreg »

I have not noticed any flicking with asapm battery monitoring. However, my eyes are bit older so I may just not have noticed it. dvw86, it is your call. The batmon program does the same functions as asapm. The batmon does it using a simple interface, a plus or minus sign to indicate if charging or not. I just thought asapm looked better. In functionality, they are the same. If I did not know about asapm, batmon would be fine. I got asapm to work and provided the information for you and everyone else's use. dvw86, if you are doing the iso buliding then it is your decision. Which ever one is used, pupeee provides the need function. I hope this helps.
Enjoy life, Just Greg

spb37

NOP / compiz needed

#25 Post by spb37 »

Thx for doing this. I have gotten used to beryl on the xandros kde. The "expose" feature is really helpful working with multiple windows. And I am also constantly showing the Eeepc off to friends and nothing blows them away more than the fact it can do vista like graphics not to mention the otherwise useless rotating cube.

So if you get a chance add compiz. I tried Puppy NOP which worked incredibly well compiz wise (but lacks ACPI and wifi). I know some people are put off by eye candy but it is amazing that the eeepc can handle it so well.

dvw86

#26 Post by dvw86 »

Ouch! It's 200EU to include videoview in the Pupeee iso. I will look for an alternative before the next release.

raffy

online test

#27 Post by raffy »

How about a Puppy online test site for the webcam, something like, "Click here to test your webcam"? Just a thought. :)
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

MyPup

#28 Post by MyPup »

Thanks for the new pupeee I have an 8g and been trying several versions of puppy and use puppy on other machines. I installed it on an sd card and it booted great I didn't try cam yet but installed conky and some other apps. Seajunky seems to crash on me so i tried firefox (which i prefer) but got errors after a couple of hours surfing the web see here. But I love puppy and the epc as well. I didn't get 800x480 as someone else had mentioned but would sure like to know how its done as this is the biggest draw back to using puppy on the eeepc.
I want to thank all of you for your great work with puppy linux as i have grown to really like it very much. I hope others will try to make a good version for the eeepc as it is really in need of a good linux disto as I am not very fond of the fisherprice xandros version that comes with it. Here are a couple of caps of your version running on my eeepc. Thanks again hope to hear more about your next version and thanks for not having too much bloatware. I will try this on a different sd card to see what happens. Although, I have no idea why it wouldn't let firefox work. As I wanted to use firefox because I like it and for some themed choices that use little screen space which is needed for the e. And thanks for using abiword and all the work that you must have put in on it. I am a total linux noob but a great theme would be thinblack2 which is what i use on my e found here->http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show. ... tent=55648 . I like the drop down menu please post a how to sometime I would like to know.
Attachments
new sd pup.png
(84.72 KiB) Downloaded 4190 times
error.png
(34.36 KiB) Downloaded 4125 times

big_bass

screen options

#29 Post by big_bass »

MyPup wrote:. I didn't get 800x480 as someone else had mentioned but would sure like to know how its done as this is the biggest draw back to using puppy on the eeepc.

Hey mypup

you got this info
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=25563

and this script
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... ch&id=7467

now run the script and select
0x015D: 848x480x16 or 0x015F: 848x480x24

P.S you can always send an email too

"preserve vintage puppy versions update them and keep the magic alive "

your IRC friend big_bass

dvw86

#30 Post by dvw86 »

If you are using Pupeee then the 800 x480 screen resolution should have worked right away. Also, Seamonkey has been very stable for me in Puppy 301 and Pupeee. I wonder if you don't have some other problem, like a bad download of the iso..

dvw86

#31 Post by dvw86 »

Well I got everything working that I wanted to, but I'm having trouble creating the new iso. I'll keep working on it and post when it's done.

dvw86

#32 Post by dvw86 »

Finished it. Uploading now. :D

amlucia

Install Help

#33 Post by amlucia »

Can someone please post detailed (step by step) instructions for loading this iso to boot from an sd card.

I have tried 100 diffrent (well maybe not 100) ways to do it and nada!!

Thx

eee pc / booting from sd slot / 4g

raffy

simplest way

#34 Post by raffy »

The simplest way is to burn it to CD then boot a PC, and from within Puppy, use Universal Installer to prepare a USB or SD card.

There are utilities for opening an ISO file and getting the files from there (example, MagicISO for Windows). Then you can follow this tutorial:
http://minipc.org/safepup/index.php?fil ... orials.htm
But you have to use vmlinuz, initrd.gz, pup_301.sfs and zdrv_301.sfs from the pupeee ISO.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

dvw86

#35 Post by dvw86 »

Personally I use an external USB CD drive and boot the eeepc off of that. Once it is booted up into Pupeee I can then install it to SD card or the internal SSD drive. I may just make an installer scrip to put Pupeee on the internal drive with a dual boot setup.