New Pup for the Eeepc based on Puppy 301

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
dvw86

New Pup for the Eeepc based on Puppy 301

#1 Post by dvw86 »

***UPDATE 2/17/08***
I have changed the main server location. Thanks goes to 1ColdBeer. The new location is:
http://epc.waltonpond.com

You can still download from the mirror hosted by Caneri.
http://puppylinux.ca/members/Pupeee/

Well here it is. The first release of ... What do I call it? Pupeee? Whatever the name, this is an iso that I put together for the Asus Eeepc. It should work for the Intel Classmate as well, but I can not test that since I don't have one. It is a basic install of 301 with all the needed drivers installed. It should boot right up without asking for keyboard layout or screen resolution. Sound works right out of the box (the mic works as well). The webcam modules are installed but I have not been able to get it to work. The wireless card will show up the first time you run the connect wizard. The built in Ethernet port drivers are installed but not loaded. It is listed in the "load module" screen though. ACPI drivers are installed for the numlock and scroll lock keys. Volume up, down, mute, and print screen keys work but you have to use the alt key instead of the function key. The screen brightness keys work with the function key. Other additional items include:

Batmon the battery monitor.
A custom JWM-Tray file with auto hide on to help make use of the small screen.
gtkpod
xmms
xine-ui
xine extra codecs
GQview
English dictionary for Abiword.
A few wallpapers that I liked. My wife took the picture of the default background from our back porch.
A few other things that I may have forgotten.

***UPDATED 2/4/08***
New iso uploaded.

Updates include:
Webcam works! (Be sure to enable it in the bios)
Skype Beta 2 with webcam support.
Better startup script for batmon. (no popup box on first boot)
Rox icons set to automatic size instead of large.
More apps added to the "open with" menu.

***UPDATE 2/21/2008***
New iso uploaded.
It still has the little JWM bug where you have to re-choose the black Vista theme after your second boot (first boot from your pupsave file). This has some requested features and it's not that serious of a bug so I wanted to post it anyways. Updates include:

Trackpad scroll and tap enabled by default.
Asapm battery monitor replaces Batmon.
The shut down bug eliminated (hopefully).
The wireless driver rt2570 is blacklisted since it causes problems on the Classmate. (thanks to Caneri).
New JWM look.

***UPDATE 3/16/2008***
New iso uploaded

Skype is still installed but it is no longer on the desktop. I put it in the start menu instead.
Cleaned up the rest of the start menu a bit. Some of the .desktop files needed modified.
Added icons for the "Open With" menu.
Xmms has been updated to work with ACC files also known as MP4. It still will not work with Apples protected (DRM) ACC files though.
New default wallpaper. (Thanks to Lobster)
Audacity is installed.
Handbrake is installed.
Xplns is installed.
Puppy Control Panel is installed along with murgaLua. This changes a lot of things both now and in the future.
The new Puppy Control Panel gets rid of that annoying JWM bug of having to re-choose the theme.
My Simple Calculator is installed.
sysmsg is installed.
Removed the current gftp server tool as this is now part of the control panel.
Removed the current JWM configuration tool from the start menu since it is now part of the control panel. (It is still in the iso since it is small, but it is not listed in the start menu)
Removed the firewall wizard from the start menu since it is now part of the control panel.
Removed the "Connect" icon from the desktop since it is now part of the control panel.
Removed the network wizard from the start menu since it is now part of the control panel.

Be sure to use a fresh pupsave and delete or rename the old pup_301-eee.sfs file.

md5sum
150a1d9f61160babc04a772b7d3b25dc

Mirrors are welcome :wink:
Size is 139MB
http://waltonpond.com/eeepc/2008-3-16/pupeee-b4.iso
Last edited by dvw86 on Mon 17 Mar 2008, 02:37, edited 7 times in total.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

:D Congratulations

Any pics of it running?
Who is gonna try it on the Classmate?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

dvw86

#3 Post by dvw86 »

Here you go.

dvw86

#4 Post by dvw86 »

And another.

vabene06

#5 Post by vabene06 »

Hallo,
i tried the iso, it works fine. only the webcam does not work. when i try to modprobe uvcvideo i get the error "unknown symbol v4l_compat_ioctl32
'.
i used the uvcvideo.pet from the forum. can you compile the uvcvideo from your distro? vabene

dvw86

#6 Post by dvw86 »

vabene06 wrote:Hallo,
i tried the iso, it works fine. only the webcam does not work. when i try to modprobe uvcvideo i get the error "unknown symbol v4l_compat_ioctl32
'.
i used the uvcvideo.pet from the forum. can you compile the uvcvideo from your distro? vabene
As I mentioned in the first post, the correct webcam drivers are already installed. However I have not been able to get it to work. I will update the iso when the issue is resolved. If someone finds a way of getting it to work please let me know. Thanks

klu9

Re: New Pup for the Eeepc based on Puppy 301

#7 Post by klu9 »

I'll try to download and then share via BitTorrent, to save your server some hits.
I will update the iso when the issue is resolved.
When you do, try releasing an xdelta patch, so those with the previous ISO can just download the small patch & upgrade, rather than downloading a whole new ISO.

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/XdeltA

PS Congratulations on your puplet! I can't wait till my money comes in; I desperately want to buy an EeePC or a CloudBook.

dvw86

#8 Post by dvw86 »

Will do. thanks for the mirror.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#9 Post by Lobster »

Any newshounds available to place it here :?:
http://www.puppylinux.org/wikka/LatestNews
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

klu9

#10 Post by klu9 »

Damn, my download failed during the night.

Well here's one instant way of "mirroring": CoBlitz

Here's a CoBlitzed download link for your ISO, if you get people to use this instead, the burden should be shared out over the PlanetLab network.

http://coblitz.codeen.org/www.vanwormer ... py-eee.iso

dvw86

#11 Post by dvw86 »

Thanks to Caneri, we now have a mirror :D

http://puppylinux.ca/members/Pupeee/

vabene06

#12 Post by vabene06 »

i got the webcam working, but only with videoview. I did
modprobe videodev, modprobe uvcvideo and started videoview.
vabene

JustGreg

#13 Post by JustGreg »

I downloaded the iso and installed it manually to a SD card. It works well. Both audio and wifi did work. It was nice to be able to connect to my wpa2 home wifi network without a problem.

I did the webcam using vabene06 procedure. When using "modprobe uvcvideo", I got missing module error. I installed the uvcvideo-20070706-k2.pet. I got the same error as vabene06, v4l_compat_ioctl32. There was a forum post (Asus EEE webcam woes) where this was talked about. I tried the following:

Code: Select all

modprobe videodev
modprobe compat_ioctl32
modprobe uvcvideo
and everything installed without any error messages. I tried to use videoview (worked for vabene06) in a terminal window and got no such command. Videoview is an add on that I found after a google search. 4 February 2008, I have removed the attachment due to a license restriction on distribution. I do not want to cause any trouble for the board operator. Here is the location, where one can download videoview:
http://www.linux-projects.org/modules/m ... .php?cid=5

However, when I run videoview, no video devices are detected. I checked /dev/ and video Ilink to video0), video0 and video1 exists. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help!

Here are some suggestions for the next build: Have Rox use small icons rather than large. It makes the file manager window easier to see. Please consider using the new battery monitor in Dingo. It looks nicer than batmon. Since the Eee PC does not have a CDROM, it is easier to use a zip file than an iso, especially with Xandros. Raffy's breeezy version of Puppy does this.

This is a nice version of Puppy for the Eee PC.
Last edited by JustGreg on Mon 04 Feb 2008, 20:15, edited 2 times in total.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

JustGreg

#14 Post by JustGreg »

I think some the Eee PC come with the web camera disabled in the BIOS. This has no effect on web camera application that comes with Xandros. However, it prevents Puppy from having an active web camera. I enable the web camera using the BIOS setup. Videoview now works well. I can see my face as I type. If you are having problems with the web camera then check the BIOS setup (Press F2 at boot screen) to see if the web camera is disabled.

The sequence of modprobes in the above post is correct to get everything working.
Enjoy life, Just Greg

nyu

#15 Post by nyu »

Hi dvw86,

Thanks for making pupeee3.01. I downloaded it and installed it in my
1GB SD card. It booted without any problem. 800x480 display was
fantastic! Wireless setup was a snap. One problem I am facing is
the Touchpad. I can't scroll up/down of web pages. Does anyone
know how to solve this problem?

Thanks,
nyu

dvw86

#16 Post by dvw86 »

Hey the webcam works! Turning it on in the bios was the key. I will make a new iso with a roxapp that will load the video modules and explain that you must have the webcan turned on in the bios. I will try to get permission to include videoview with the iso and have the roxapp launch it. I will also include the newest beta version of Skype if the video works in that as well. Also I will use some of the suggestions posted in this thread. Thanks for all the help.

dvw86

#17 Post by dvw86 »

Yep, Skype 2 beta works with the webcam. I will have to wait until my days off to make the new iso, but I will post it as soon as I can.

gary101

#18 Post by gary101 »

Hi

I have the webcam working under 2.16 with no problem.

What works for me is to have everything load from /etc.rc.d/rc.local

Copy of mine below:

modprobe v4l2-common
modprobe v4l1-compat
modprobe videodev
modprobe compat-ioctl123
modprobe uvcvideo

@nyu - touchpad scrolling also works, although you have to tap in the page first. Check /etc/x11/xorg.conf for the line in the "Synaptics Mouse" section.

Option VerticalScrollDelta" mine is set to "100"

Hope this helps

Gary

darrelljon

#19 Post by darrelljon »

JustGreg

#20 Post by JustGreg »

I know I set the webcam BIOS setting to enable. Somehow after using Xandros, the webcam BIOS setting was disabled. After several tries, I found what worked for me. I set the BIOS webcam to enabled and then used Xandros webcam application. I did a complete power down. Powered up to use Pupeee, checked the webcam with videoview and it worked. I rebooted and started Xandros, check the webcam, it worked then shut it down. Started Pupeee up and webcam was working. So if the webcam stops working, then check the BIOS setting, especially after using Xandros.
Last edited by JustGreg on Sun 03 Feb 2008, 01:16, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoy life, Just Greg