Dingo alpha6 feedback/bugs

Please post any bugs you have found
Jnoble

dialup

#16 Post by Jnoble »

I have not been able to get dialup to work in any of the dingos. I have three computers with three different types of modems and none of them works. When you put your phone #, user nameand password in and click on connect the computer freezes. All you can do is power off and back on. The same thing happens if you click on PROBE. Help anybody.
Jim

NathanO

#17 Post by NathanO »

Downloaded 3.96 'Retro', 2.6.23.12.

Tested on tower first, everything worked.

Tested on HP Pavilion zv6000. It does see the USB mouse and Wireless. I do not have WIFI here, will have to wait until I can get down to San Antonio.

Trying to change anything in the Tray configuration under JWM configuration causes an error still: 'New confg currupt. Keep Original'. Even restarting 'X' did not show the change to number of desktops or tray height. The height could go up some for the Battery Monitor.

It does seem to pick up and IP address under Auto DHCP faster the 3.01.

NathanO

Sage

#18 Post by Sage »

I have also built alpha6 with the 2.6.23.12 kernel, same as used in earlier alphas.
It was alpha4 - it says so at the front end. But it still doesn't work!

Much more instructive was the download speed I encountered - the slowest ever for any compact distro at >30mins. This suggests that there are hundreds, thousands, millions of folks downloading; ibilio is a massive server system.
That is really bad news for BK because there must be a whole bunch of guys out there who are having as much trouble as me. The silent majority has spoken!
The entire Dingo project might benefit from a ground-up review after finding out why and how all the other developers out here haven't had any trouble transferring to the new disc nomenclature post-2.6.21 or w.h.y? Too many things just don't work at present. A long holiday in India might help?!
I'd like to assist, but am limited to testing on account of inability.....

NathanO

#19 Post by NathanO »

Just to test 'install' I tried to add mplayer and its related .pet's. I came up with a 'Missing Lib's' that was 20 or so lib's long and it said they would be added to the list to download. It only added about 10 of them, then came up with another similar message, but never finished all the libs.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#20 Post by Flash »

Tui wrote:Hi sage, I can't find the info on re-sizing, how is that done ?

Cheers
Sage isn't much help for beginners is he? :lol:

To resize an image: Open it with mtPaint. (Just clicking on the image file in ROX will automatically open it in mtPaint.) First, crop unnecessary parts of the image by clicking within the image to outline the part you want to keep and then clicking crop in the "image" drop-down menu. Then, also in the "image" drop-down menu, choose Scale canvas, put 800 (or whatever) in the Width box, leave Fix aspect ratio checked and hit enter.

There are several good reasons for keeping your images smaller than 800 x 600 for the forum. For one, not everyone has a high-resolution screen. For another, many of the people using the forum have dial-up modems and large images slow down loading a page. Also, large images take up room on the server. John Murga has said it's not a problem, but still, try to crop and minimize their size. Thanks. :)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: alpha6 troubleshooting

#21 Post by Flash »

rover wrote:perhaps i am not qualified to even make comments on something so over my head as trying to troubleshooting code but i just want to make the following comments so you may know there is something that is not working on my unit.

feel free to tell me to cease and desist if you can do better without my "help".

upon booting,alpha6 gave me a lot of trouble with xorg and i had to set up xvesa.

one of the first things i need to do with the system,i to go into jwm configuration and i change the mouse to be used as a left hand mouse,and the keyboard to us.

i cannot get into jwm at all. it will not open. i see a flash like it is opening and it closes immediately.

i do not think the correct drivers for the sis card is included for this motherboard.

i hesitate on screwing up another computer as i do not know of any way to shut a system down and not save the session. if i could just boot, look around and shut down without saving (and thus not saving the bad things)
that would be nice.
anyway, at this time this input is only for the d201gly2.
First, if you enter "puppy pfix=ram" at the boot prompt then Puppy will run in RAM only (plus swap memory if it finds it) which means you are given the option to save or not when you shut down. When the boot prompt appears, you only have 5 seconds to pause it by hitting a key. I use the up arrow, but other keys work too. I don't know which ones. After pausing at the boot prompt to enter "puppy pfix=ram" you resume booting by hitting "enter."

As for participating in this forum, you are welcome but you need to tell us more about your hardware. What kind of computer, what kind of display and display driver card, how much memory have you, and do you have any swap memory? That sort of thing. :)

rerwin

Pwget dialogs use incorrect/inconsistent term

#22 Post by rerwin »

Puppy dialogs should be precise when instructing the user. The new pwget tool uses "cut and paste", when it actually intends the user to "copy and paste" the URL for a download.

This is easily remedied by substituting "Copy" for "Cut" in two statements in /usr/local/Pwget/pwget. The corrected statements would be:

Statement 12:

Code: Select all

<text><label>Copy and Paste URL location of required file into "Address". Add destination and click "OK"</label></text>

Statement 29:

<action>`Xdialog --wrap --screencenter --left --title "Pwget - HELP" --msgbox "Pwget is a simple front end to the wget utility. Wget is used for downloading larger files from the internet such as ISOs. The files are verified during the download procedure. As ISO and other files are checked and downloads resumed, they do not require a md5sum check. Copy and paste the source file you wish to download. Use the file selector to choose the destination. \n\n Lobster, Jan 2008" 600x0`</action>
FWIW: So far no problems on my PCChips M848A Athlon XP 2200+ 512MB system, which uses the chipset SiS746FX + SiS963L.. Manually instaledl Frugal installation. Wired networking and 536ep modem work as expected. Problematic Tecra 8000 now starts up as expected, recovering from "Probing..." hangs.
Richard
EDIT: An updated copy of this script is included in my upload on page 6 of this thread: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 633#173633
Last edited by rerwin on Sat 16 Feb 2008, 18:07, edited 1 time in total.

zigbert

#23 Post by zigbert »

First!
Puppy 4 feels more like a version 1. This one really works - out of the box.
Congratulations, Barry.

- Puppy universal installer: Install frugal to IDE ATA harddrive. Message tells that grub-text is written to /tmp/NEWGRUBTEXT, but it's not.
- Gxset doesn't save new settings.
- Installing (doubleclick in rox) a pet from a directory with spaces in dirname - fails.
- Petget: Second time usage (added pet) starts 'remove' function. Asks to remove pet-without-name.
- Dotpuphandler requires 'gettext' which is NOT in the Puppy 4.00 repository.

- As the collection of apps are getting really strong, I still miss the slideshow, and a power image-viewer ;)

The best wishes on your India journey.
Sigmund

rerwin

"Troublesome laptop" filter is incomplete

#24 Post by rerwin »

In reviewing the implemented test for problematic laptop video adapters, I noticed that the ddcprobe "oem:" lines from the users have "CYBER" in all upper case; but the xorgwizard script has "Cyber". My error in not correcting that earlier.

Also, another possibly problematic adapter is an 8620, similar to the 8820 already included.

Please update line 488 of /usr/sbin/xorgwizard and insert a new line, resulting in the new lines 488 & 489:

oem: Trident CYBER 8620
oem: Trident CYBER 8820' /tmp/ddcprobe.txt;then
Thanks.
Richard
EDIT: This change is included along with another modification to xorgwizard in my upload on page 6 of this thread: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 633#173633
Last edited by rerwin on Sat 16 Feb 2008, 18:10, edited 1 time in total.

Sage

#25 Post by Sage »

no problems on my PCChips M848A Athlon XP 2200
chipset SiS746FX
Curious! That is an ancestor of one of the test boards I use frequently, although mine is the ALU, having the later 748 chipset and has been flashed as an L7S7A - all other distros work on this one, it is my most trustworthy board. However, IDE HD s do not show on this one, an old BX, a Soltek VIA nor a P2.2. Might be scope to examine these features in more detail? Care to PM me? Fact is, every other distro, as well as 3.01, run on all these, and other boards, without BIOS fiddling or other mods.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#26 Post by Lobster »

:) Someone gave me a Canon BJC 4300 - does not run on XP - thank you Microsoft :lol: also did not run with Puppy 2.17 :?

8) But Dingo did go.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#27 Post by Béèm »

I give the url, the userid and the password and am blessed with login incorrect.
Finally I realized that from the 8 characters entered for the password only the first seven are retained.

Why this restriction and how to correct.

BTW anonymous login to f.e. Mozilla is successful.
Last edited by Béèm on Thu 31 Jan 2008, 18:03, edited 1 time in total.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#28 Post by Béèm »

In alpha 5 I raised the problem that one could 'unshow' both these windows and that all remained is a contour of one window.
I tried in alpha 6, both windows can't be 'unshown' anymore. Either one wil stay.
Problem solved.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

linuxcbon

#29 Post by linuxcbon »

So far so good :-)

pppoe not included : very needed !
xine full screen video, we still see the task bar.
A pity that 3gp and .mp4 videos not associated to xine.
Cannot exit ChmSee properly.
Last edited by linuxcbon on Mon 18 Feb 2008, 19:22, edited 1 time in total.

JustGreg

#30 Post by JustGreg »

I tried both versions (2.6.24 and 2.6.23.12) on my stay at home and the Eee PC. I still get the unsafe /mp permissions with Syslinux-nomtools. if mtools is present with syslinux no problems. I suggest that mtools be added back in. With both versions and the Eee PC, the battery indicator is present and works well. This is a nice improvement for laptop users.

I did encounter wifi issues with 2.6.24 kernel and my wifi network with the stay at home computer. The 2.6.24 version has a new RT73USB (2.6.23.12 uses RT73 and works) driver for my Linksys USB device. Trying the network wizard, I was informed that the RT73USB driver does not support WPA. This is a problem for me since the wifi network uses WPA2 encryption. I tried using my wpa_supplicant script from Puppy 3.01 and was informed wpa_supplicant does not support RALINK driver. I tried the script for Digno (Jan 11 version) that uses iwpriv commands and works for the 2.6.23.12 kernel. A error message was shown that the RT73USB driver does not support private I/O controls. I will try a few ideas and see if I get 2.6.24 kernel to work with wpa wifi.

With the Eee PC, the correct driver was loaded, but, neither versions could see the wifi device. I can turn the atheros device on or off, but the Network Wizard can not see the interface ath0. This will have to wait.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

kirk

#31 Post by kirk »

Nice work Barry.

Thanks for putting in the battery monitor. In order to see the whole battery monitor, /root/.jwmrc-tray line 2 height="26" should be changed to height="28".

Also, The File-Sharing (Pcurlftp) Rox app depends on pure-ftpd. I think you said you were going to include it. Anyway pure-ftpd is a pet package available on Pet-get, but the package has a problem. The folder /root/ftpd needs to have its owner changed to ftp and permissions set to 777 or 755.

Some folks said they had problems with bcm43 wireless. My wife's laptop has a bcm43. It didn't get the module loaded. I ended up having to rmmod the b43 and ssb modules and then modprobe the bcm43xx. If I can get some more time with her laptop I'll try to figure out what's going on.
Last edited by kirk on Thu 31 Jan 2008, 03:58, edited 1 time in total.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#32 Post by Flash »

How to make Pcdripper-3.4 work in alpha6? I filled out all the boxes that would let me, but I can't see any way to make it go.

john biles

#33 Post by john biles »

Hello Barry k,
In testing on a Compaq Presario 1200 Laptop (Windows ME version) when you click the desktop icon for xine media player, it opens and then crashes.
But if you click on a media file in a folder, xine opens and plays it and doesn't crash?
Anyone else had this problem?
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

vanchutr

#34 Post by vanchutr »

Fast login internet (with AUTO DHCP)
xine plays well.
Can't mount USB Flash. Pmount did'nt found USB port

oli

#35 Post by oli »

I run the live cd with the boot option puppy pfix=ram. Testing XOrg hangs up the computer (the screen is totally black) and I had to reboot. Xvesa works fine, but then I cannot use special German characters like äöüß.