Can I use Conexant V90 56K Data Fax PCI modem?

notned

#16 Post by notned »

Hey my thread got referred to! Grin. The modem I got still works. I recommend it.

muggins

#17 Post by muggins »

@chicks,

Image I'm posting this via a, previously defunct, HSF modem, using pup2.16 & 2.6.18.1 kernel, thanks to the link you provided.

And it's not speed limited. The steps I followed were:

1) Extract the .deb & copy across the included ./etc & ./usr directories, to /etc & /usr.

2) I ran hsfconfig, but it complained about missing sysctl. I got this from telemetric_au's .rar package, here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... ch&id=3314

I copied this .rar file to temporary directory /hsf, then extracted this with:

Code: Select all

cd /hsf
unrar e *.rar
I then needed to give sysctl executable permissions & copy it to /usr/bin:

chmod +x sysctl
cp sysctl /usr/bin
However testing it, by entering sysctl -h, and it complained of missing library file, libproc.so.3.1.9. telemetric_au had included libproc.so.3.1.8, so I copied this to /usr/lib, & created a symlink:

cp libproc.so.3.1.8 /usr/lib
ln -s /usr/lib/libproc.so.3.1.8 /usr/lib/libproc.so.3.1.9
I then ran hsfconfig again, and just received one complaint, (about Hda support not being active, which jcoder24 explains is about Intel Hda modems, in this thread Here

I then removed my existing modem configuration, (from modem-wizard) then, following jcoder24's advice, added the following lines to /etc/rc.d/rcl.local:

rm -f /dev/modem /dev/cuaHSF0 /dev/ttySHSF0 2>/dev/null
hsfconfig --serial 
Then I rebooted, and here I am.

tempestuous

#18 Post by tempestuous »

muggins wrote:... but it complained about missing sysctl.
... it complained of missing library file, libproc.so.3.1.9.
sysctl and libproc.so are both part of Procps, available as a dotpup here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 2543#82543

chicks

#19 Post by chicks »

muggins wrote:@chicks,

Image I'm posting this via a, previously defunct, HSF modem, using pup2.16 & 2.6.18.1 kernel, thanks to the link you provided.

And it's not speed limited...
Excellent. Maybe someone will wrap this into a .pup for the rest of us Puppy neophytes.

mouldy

#20 Post by mouldy »

Found an old modem that seems to be hsf chip. Plugged it in and went through the process. Hsfconfig runs builds module but cant find the modem. Hmm, its out of junk hardware box and looks like one of my cats may have regurgitated on it (they recognize quality) in distant past, so it simply may be junk and not drivers fault. Didnt find any other hsf modems in junk pile, have one hcf modem that I know works cause had it working under Puppy 1.xx. That wasnt a crippled driver, but it still seemed slow if I remember correctly, slower than under windows.

Well, see if windows sees this modem, if not, then it goes into toss pile.

mouldy

#21 Post by mouldy »

I got hold of a Dynex DX-M300 usb modem. Its supported by this driver and dials and connects, but slow isnt the word, ITS S...................................L.......................................O.................................W....................................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Instead of the 2.8 or 3.0KB/s downloading a file, it downloads at like 0.2 to 0.3KB/s

And yes this is the Dell-ubuntu driver: http://linux.dell.com/files/ubuntu/modem-drivers/hsf/ supposedly without speed limitations. I used the .tgz version from page above so I dont have to screw around undebbing or unrpming.

Oh, I am using Puppy 3.01

Is it because the modem is usb? Has anybody else had problem with the Dell driver?