Developer Fun - Anyone wants to work on Intel Classmate PC?

News, happenings
mysticmarks

development

#16 Post by mysticmarks »

Hey guys,
I live 10 minutes from Intel headquarters and would be willing to get more involved. I feel that there is a perfect balance not yet reached here with Puppy. Puppy was Barry's vision of a tiny OS that does the job, and from as many mediums as possible. I feel Puppy is special, but i've found that there are too many deviations from the overall improvement puppy needs. I have an extensive list of how we can pool as a community to stablize puppy in a way that will help make some real headway, and ultimately simplify development and end-user experiences.
In any case, i would like to see the shared passion of this community be turned into a spirtually rewarding development venture for everyone involved. Within a few years, every child could have a real learning tool that is extremely affordable but not cheap, functional but simple, pleasing to the eye yet eligantly basic. If doing what we do with puppy now will possibly help reveal what i see as the Book of Knowledge to vast numbers of thirsty minds, then I feel we simply must.

I'm in. :wink:

raffy

Received the Classmate PC

#17 Post by raffy »

Just so the other recipients will know, I received my unit today, together with 2 other units for the teachers doing elearning using Puppy Linux. (WinXP Pro is bundled with the unit, with an install wizard at startup.)
Attachments
cmpc_received01-320.jpg
Classmate PC received April 1, 2008 at Manila.
(32.41 KiB) Downloaded 311 times
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Ray MK

#18 Post by Ray MK »

Hi Raffy

Nice looking bit of kit - looks sturdy and the mains adaptor/charger
looks as if it's heavy enough to give any potential "Dick Turpins" a
nice headache.

Have looked at EeePc, very impressive but have to admit to having more than a passing interest in the classmate - but where are they?

Can't find one anywhere but if the pictures offer a true indication of
build quality throughout - "battle tank" is the impression one gets.

Am running Breezy, MiniPup, PupEee and Dingo on a 5yr old Patriot Laptop with (128mb ram) 94mb ram really and a 1GHz celeron proc. and Breezy really flies.

All are frugal install's booted using GRUB on a 9gig ext2 partition.
Also have a few more puppy's frugally installed on same partition and they all run very well together.

Wonder why Intel only provide 1gig storage for linux units and yet
offer 2gig storage for XP units. Surely it would be easier for them to
make them all the same.

It would be interesting to see how the local education authority would
react to a ClassMate/Breezy/MiniPup/EduPup combination, before they get too involved with Asus and EeePc.

Also be intresting to see how Breezy takes to ClassMate - look forward to seeing/hearing what you think.

Meanwhile - Best Regards - Ray MK