Is there an IDE for C++ programming?

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
tlucas

Is there an IDE for C++ programming?

#1 Post by tlucas »

I am starting to teach myself C and want to install a tool on Puppy 3.01 that will show the C syntax, debug and builld my code.

I have found a program called "Code::Blocks" that I have started to use in Windows, but am not sure how to install it on Puppy.

Has anyone installed this before on Puppy and how did you do it?

Has anyone got any advice on a different tool I should be using?

Many thanks for your help.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

tlucas

C++ Programming

#3 Post by tlucas »

Thank you lobster.

Just what I was looking for!

Jesse

#4 Post by Jesse »

Hi tlucas,

I'm a C developer (10 years) and I have found that Geany (already in Puppy) is a very nice lightweight and useful tool for C. It will do C text/code highlighting, and it has a 'symbols' tab that lists aspects of the C code, functions, variables, structures, etc..., and for any other file currently open you can turn on function/variable autocomplete, function parameter list prompting.
If you would like some sample C code, download mut2 source, there is a src directory that is related to the aspects of the mut2 project, but also a lib directory which contains some code for general aspects of C coding, which you may find interesting/educational.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=26892

Regards,
Jesse

muggins

#5 Post by muggins »

As an alternative development environment to code::blocks, you could try ultimate++.

It comes with a bunch of examples for you to look at, but you're best following LT1's tips, here, to install it.

muggins

#6 Post by muggins »

Plus you might want to try this development environment out:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=27684

http://www.ecere.com/

muggins

#7 Post by muggins »

Put any of my recommendations on hold, as I'm experiencing problems with ecere....hopefully I can get it functioning

jerstlouis

problems with ecere

#8 Post by jerstlouis »

Hi muggins what particular problems were you having with Ecere?

muggins

#9 Post by muggins »

Hi Jerome,

I haven't tried for awhile, but basically same problems mentioned in this thread. I did try on another pupversion, with a later gtk version, but gave up when it also seemed to stall.

But I think a lot of my problems seem to be libpango related, in that Ecere either doesn't like whatever libpango version I've got, or is unable to determine libpango version, and then stalls.

Ecere definitely isn't alone in this as I've come across quite a few applications that run on one version of puppy, but have a complex about a different libpango version.

jerstlouis

#10 Post by jerstlouis »

Sorry for the late reply, didn't notice the post...
I sort of got confused between the two threads...
As I was saying on that thread, Ecere doesn't seem to work with X.org 7.0.

That was tested to be the problem on Debian Etch as well (was stalling).
But works fine with 7.2, 7.3.

I'm not sure exactly what package is the problem... Ecere doesn't make use of libpango, it uses X, fontconfig, and freetype directly.

I downloaded an ISO of Debian Etch to test that problem with the older X when I get the chance. Please let me know if you still have problems running it on X 7.2+ .

Thanks