Puppy server os vs desktop os: a question

Booting, installing, newbie
hankyknot

Puppy server os vs desktop os: a question

#1 Post by hankyknot »

I know the difference between a server OS and a desktop OS in the windows world but to me the lnes seem a lot more blurred in the Linux world.

Is this the case or am I way off base. If not are there any lans or projects under way at the moment to produce a serveresque puppy that would combine the blazing speed and reliability, not to mentin the efficiency of puppy into an OS capable of running apps that typically recommend something like RedHat?

Or is this something that can be done already and the RedHat recommendations are related more to structured support issues than application issues?
Opening my mind...
...by closing my Windows.

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Ian »

If you understand the difference between a desktop & a server you must realize that they are worlds apart.

The main difference is in the way they are accessed and how they can handle multiple requests.

This all relates to how the OS deals with memory and how much memory is required to do whatever the server is required to do.

In the world today there are servers struggling to keep up with the volume of traffic that is required to maintain the sites that they support.

This is happening in the commercial sector all the time.

I believe that Puppy could be adapted to serve as a server but there are a lot of issues to be looked at, mainly to do with the kernel and how it is configured.

For a small home based server Puppy could probably be used but for anything commercial the focus changes.

If we had PC CPUs with dedicated registers we would have less problems.