pcPuppyOS RC2 Posted 22 Jan 08

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
happyhippo

#16 Post by happyhippo »

wel tried this pup on two systems

1 compaq evo P4 with a iiyama 19 inch TFT boots up nice en works fine
onboard sound works, lan works.
2 compaq despro ens P3 with samsung 151 tft, 15 inch this one what i did not expected faild.
first at boot it tells me somthing about to much lines and i have to choose from a list
80 x 25 etc.
i choose one, a fragment the cdplayer and hard disk work (have a swap space on it) and than nothing no activity .

maybe good t know that other puppys like lighthouse did work on the P3

friedsonjm

#17 Post by friedsonjm »

happyhippo wrote:wel tried this pup on two systems

1 compaq evo P4 with a iiyama 19 inch TFT boots up nice en works fine
onboard sound works, lan works.
2 compaq despro ens P3 with samsung 151 tft, 15 inch this one what i did not expected faild.
first at boot it tells me somthing about to much lines and i have to choose from a list
80 x 25 etc.
i choose one, a fragment the cdplayer and hard disk work (have a swap space on it) and than nothing no activity .

maybe good t know that other puppys like lighthouse did work on the P3
What frame buffer setting did you choose?
jf

Pizzasgood

#18 Post by Pizzasgood »

I'm not quite following you happyhippo. If you could try it again and write down the error message that would help a bunch.

@Canari: for the USB install, check the syslinux.cfg file on the usb drive. Make sure it has one of the following two combinations:

Code: Select all

vga=785

vga=normal pfix=nosplash
The latter is better for debugging because it disables the bootsplash and enables the text without running a framebuffer. Using vga=normal without disabling the splash can cause issues (not sure if I can detect that during the boot, will have to give it a try).

@both Canari and NathanO:
Looking at the files you guys submitted. For Canari's first machine and NathanO's laptop, there is an extra line of uncommented babble at the ends of your xorg.conf files. Try editing it with mp to remove that, then run startx to try starting Xwindows.

I think I know what might be causing this. I implemented a fix that Barry mentioned on the blog, but I think it's messing up and breaking the identifier comment in half so that part isn't commented. It looks like certain strings are breaking it. The hardware probing and string manipulation Barry's doing there both exceed what I can follow, so I think I'll just put the original versions back.

@Canari: For your 9800, it doesn't have the above bug and as far as I can tell your xorg.conf is correct. Without the Xorg.0.log file for it I can't find the part that's crashing.

@Leachim: Nice. It doesn't mess up as badly as the original xorgwizard when it hits my dual monitor setup (the original puts two screens in the server section, but only configures one). I'll have to look into it harder later, see if it works on my laptop and if the configuration file I just generated on my desktop actually works (doing important stuff ATM, can't restart X to test that).

Personally though, I like getting to go through the menu to pick my resolution. But I know it bugs many people to make any choices during boot, even a one-time-only choice.

I don't particularly like chat. It doesn't mesh well with my mind and I find it very hard to communicate with it.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Pizzasgood

#19 Post by Pizzasgood »

Something completely separate from the ongoing conversation: Somebody reminded me today that I forgot to replace a missing package that wasn't in the repo but should have been. This only affects pppoe. I recommended that he try the version for Puppy 4.xx, here:
ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributio ... tched1.pet
If it works I'll use that one. Otherwise I'll try using the pkgs_db package to pull the files I need from the standard ISO.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

NathanO

#20 Post by NathanO »

Pizzasgood,

Getting rid of the line at the end did the trick for the laptop.

One item I did not see anywhere, as an OPTION I would like to have a 'Battery Monitor' for the laptop. Something simple that could be customized for when it goes from Green to Yellow to Red. Lets say go from Green to Yellow at 15%, Yellow to Red at 5%.

Nathan

Pizzasgood

#21 Post by Pizzasgood »

Check the Conky display, right above the networking section. Did it detect your battery? I tried to configure it so that it only shows the battery section if there is one by having it only show it when /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/info exists.

I did a similar thing with temperature using /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM/temperature

NathanO

#22 Post by NathanO »

Pizzasgood,

Just did a cold boot on the laptop, no I do not see any battery information. /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/info is what is on my HP Pavilion zv6000, not BAT0.

NathanO

Pizzasgood

#23 Post by Pizzasgood »

Okay then, I'll add lines for batteries 0-3. That way if people have a second one it will handle that too. Meanwhile, just change the BAT0 parts to BAT1 in /root/.conkyrc and restart it.

eccentric

pcpuppyos rc2

#24 Post by eccentric »

Mr. P.Thank you for your prompt reply to my e-mail. down loaded both the WINE add-on plus the PPPoE 3.8 pached1. the WINE add on when finished told me i was successful. but the PPPoE told me it was going to unpack never to be seen again, with no other message, i tried to find it but no luck,, i have very limited knowledge in these matters.

Thank you for your help, i will await the next version Michael.

Pizzasgood

#25 Post by Pizzasgood »

Okay. I'll look into it "tomorrow" (as in, in maybe twelve hours, since it's already tomorrow now).

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#26 Post by Lobster »

I'm banished from the other room now..lol
:)

Think yourself lucky. There I was in another dimension
when I volunteered to enter this one . . .

. . . meanwhile here is an interview with Pizzasgood from a previous time . . .
http://tmxxine.com/wik/wikka.php?wakka=PizzasGood
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

happyhippo

#27 Post by happyhippo »

@pizzasgood

tried it again

first with noting enterd
and the message is
you passed an undefined mode number
press return to seee available modes ore press space to boot
using
vga=normal pfix=nosplash

i get
could not vind kernel image vga=normal
hope this helps

NathanO

#28 Post by NathanO »

Pizzasgood,

Made the change in conkyrc to BAT1. Restarted conky. There is now a line that says Battery: There is an empty box next to it. I have had the laptop running on the Battery for about an hour now. I have restarted conky several times and the box shows no change.

Have you seen the thread:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=9261

about changing RFC_1122_COMPLIANT="yes" to "no"?

NathanO

NathanO

#29 Post by NathanO »

At about 1 hour 30 min the battery gave out. Still nothing in the box. Is there something else we need to do?

NathanO

Pizzasgood

#30 Post by Pizzasgood »

Is there something else we need to do?
Yes. I become forgetful at 1 AM. The Conky configuration I used didn't explicitly tell it to use BAT0, it only used that to decide if it should show the battery section. If you change the line to be like this, it will work:

${if_existing /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/state capacity}${color }Battery: ${color }${battery_time BAT1} - ${battery BAT1} ${color #cc2222}${battery_bar 6 BAT1}
What I did today is this:

${if_existing /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state capacity}${color }Battery: ${color }${battery_time BAT0} - ${battery BAT0} ${color #cc2222}${battery_bar 6 BAT0}
$endif${if_existing /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/state capacity}${color }Battery: ${color }${battery_time BAT1} - ${battery BAT1} ${color #cc2222}${battery_bar 6 BAT1}
$endif${if_existing /proc/acpi/battery/BAT2/state capacity}${color }Battery: ${color }${battery_time BAT2} - ${battery BAT2} ${color #cc2222}${battery_bar 6 BAT2}
$endif${if_existing /proc/acpi/battery/BAT3/state capacity}${color }Battery: ${color }${battery_time BAT3} - ${battery BAT3} ${color #cc2222}${battery_bar 6 BAT3}
$endif${color }$stippled_hr
Now it will show up to 4 batteries (yes, overkill), but only if they exist. I modified the detection because my laptop shows the info, state, and alarm files for BAT1 even though I don't have that battery. Now it checks for a string of text within the state file to decide if the battery is there.

Also, it turns out I didn't solve that error message about /mnt/home you mentioned before. It turns out you can hide output on the screen by putting things between if_existing and if_mounted tags, but that won't stop it from complaining about non-existent items between the tags.

Have you seen the thread:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=9261

about changing RFC_1122_COMPLIANT="yes" to "no"?
I have now. I went ahead and changed it. @Friedsonjm: If you'd rather have it respond to pings let me know.

I also removed the tweaks to xwin and xorgwizard, so hopefully that will be fixed.
using
vga=normal pfix=nosplash

i get
Quote:
could not vind kernel image vga=normal

hope this helps
You're booting from live-cd, so you need to type puppy followed by a space, then use those commands.

Mr. P.Thank you for your prompt reply to my e-mail. down loaded both the WINE add-on plus the PPPoE 3.8 pached1. the WINE add on when finished told me i was successful. but the PPPoE told me it was going to unpack never to be seen again, with no other message, i tried to find it but no luck,, i have very limited knowledge in these matters.

Thank you for your help, i will await the next version Michael.
I tried installing it and it just copped out. Weird. Anyways, when I extracted it and installed by hand it seemed to work (I can't actually test it other than making sure the program starts).

pet2tgz rp_pppoe-3.8-patched1.pet
tar xf rp_pppoe-3.8-patched1.tar.gz
cp -a rp_pppoe-3.8-patched1/* /
fixmenus
So I added it to the build tree for the next iso (maybe uploaded Monday night?).

happyhippo

you have got a winner!

#31 Post by happyhippo »

yes pizzasgood
you have got a winner!
typet puppy in front of the vga=normal pfic=nosplash
and ther puppy run completely fine
even the wlan pci card with ralink rt61 chipset did work after entering the right settings
thanks!!

buttonss

Firefox associations

#32 Post by buttonss »

OK- I am liking this distro! Citrix works fine, and JRE update 3 is excellent.

Firefox extensions:
- does not launch GSview automatically when you want to view PDFs
- does not launch GXine (?should it be replaced with XMMS instead)

DVD playing:
- the whole screen blinks at rate of about once every 5-10 seconds. Funny, this.

I am running as liveCD on a P4 system. 1 GB RAM (CPU usage at 30%, 4% RAM usage).

Pizzasgood

#33 Post by Pizzasgood »

- does not launch GSview automatically when you want to view PDFs
I haven't been able to figure out how to do this. I think I can get it to just open the PDF immediately, but what I want is for it to default to gsview in the "open with" option, but to still show the option.
- does not launch GXine (?should it be replaced with XMMS instead)
Good point. I'll check if the Seamonkey plugin is compatible.

As for replacing with XMMS, that only covers audio. So then we'd have to have to have XMMS and a video player. Freidsonjm said he wants to avoid duplication and keep things simple, so I decided to just stick with Gxine.
DVD playing:
- the whole screen blinks at rate of about once every 5-10 seconds. Funny, this.
I haven't watched a DVD on my computer in almost a year, and even then it was only a couple times. So I don't really know what might be causing that. Did it do the same thing in the standard Puppy 3.01?

One idea: Try disabling Conky, and maybe also the clock and calendar.