Dingo Alpha 5 of 11 Jan. Issues (aka Bugs or Problems)

Please post any bugs you have found
pakt

#91 Post by pakt »

John Doe wrote:booted dingo alpha5 with 'pfix=ram' (twice) and it didn't unmount the optic drive either time
I've also run into this problem on my Acer laptop while running Dingo alpha5 in RAM from CD.

I tried using Pmount to first mount (succeded) then unmount the CD to eject the disc, but I just got 'Failure! ... '

Trying umount /mnt/sr0 in a terminal resulted in 'Device or resource busy'
Methinks Raspberry Pi were ideal for runnin' Puppy Linux

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: "Troublesome Toshibas" hang up xwin

#92 Post by BarryK »

rerwin wrote:Barry,
When Puppy boots the first time (without a pup_save file or partition), the problematic laptops still hang. The workaround was implemented in xorgwizard; but xwin executes xorgwizard only after trying a "Xvesa -listmodes" command, which hangs for those laptops.

Ideally, the PC-specific logic common to xwin and xorgwizard would be moved to a separate, common script to eliminate duplication of code. Pragmatically, though, a message could be displayed before the hang, advising how to recover. I have created an expedient solution.

After line 60 of /usr/X11R7/bin/xwin, the following statement could be inserted and would show only when xwin hangs; if there is no hang, the xorg dialog appears quickly.

Code: Select all

echo -e 'If initialization freezes here, press ctrl-c and type "xorgwizard",\nselect "Xorg", choose monitor type, choose video mode, and then at the prompt\ntype "xwin" to start X.'   #rerwin
This should help users find the workaround, if they need it. Thanks for considering this.
Richard
Ok I've put that in. Yes, the duplicate code needs to be extracted to a common file.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

geneven

Cd-ejector

#93 Post by geneven »

"I almost started a poll to ask who has or doesn't have one of those bent paper clips next to them. "

It turns out that thin plastic straws are the perfect size to use for this. I always have a few straws lying in front of my keyboard, just in case.

Sage

#94 Post by Sage »

Buy a European ie German drive and they provide a proper little metal prodder!

kirk

#95 Post by kirk »

oops