Dingo Alpha 5 of 11 Jan. Issues (aka Bugs or Problems)

Please post any bugs you have found
JustGreg

Dingo Alpha 5 of 11 Jan. Issues (aka Bugs or Problems)

#1 Post by JustGreg »

I did an installation of alpha 5 to a vfat USB flash drive and here is what I found:

First boot failed with statement of boot failure. I checked and found that ldlinux.sys was not installed. The problem is from syslinux-nomtools. When one runs syslinux-nomtools, an error message of "prossibly unsafe /tmp/permissions". I used syslinux under Puppy 3.01 and ldlinuxsys was installed. The usb device booted correctly in Dingo alpha 5.

Second is wpa_supplicant version 0.6.0 does not support the RALINK drivers. Solution is to copy wpa_supplicant (version 0.5.8) from Puppy 3.01 to the directory /user/sbin over the existing wpa-supplicant.

Other than those two, Dingo alpha5 is working nice. I am using it to write this. I have changed the desk top to get the yellow or gold out.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

Firefox

HD install

#2 Post by Firefox »

Downloaded and burnt to cd ok.
Installed to HD ok.
Booted from HD NOT ok.
Just one big loop, lots of cats/greps missing files.

Billcnz

#3 Post by Billcnz »

Did frugal install to linux partition from universal installer and used the recommended text to edit my grub menu.lst, all worked as expected.

There seems to be a gtk error with the pcdripper and pmetatagger apps:
** ERROR **: gtkdialog: Error in line 49, near token '<label>': syntax error

aborting...
# pmetatagger

** ERROR **: gtkdialog: Error in line 57, near token '<label>': syntax error

aborting...
#

this may have been there in the previous alpha, I'll have to check

BlackAdder

Wireless

#4 Post by BlackAdder »

Testing 395 on an IBM Thinkpad T61 with iwl4965 wireless.
Seems to require mac80211 before it will associate with an AP.
Then get many reports of:
RX non-WEP frame, but expected encryption
This latter has also been reported in Ubuntu forums, but solution seems elusive.
Then tried D-Link DWL-650+ with the acx module. It reported that the firmware is not present. (recurrence of an old problem).
Ndiswrapper works okay however. Currently posting from wireless using ndiswrapper.
[/b]

Sage

#5 Post by Sage »

Already reported on BK blog that IDE FULL install and IDE recognition still don't work properly.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Dingo Alpha 5 of 11 Jan. Issues (aka Bug or Problems)

#6 Post by BarryK »

JustGreg wrote:I did an installation of alpha 5 to a vfat USB flash drive and here is what I found:

First boot failed with statement of boot failure. I checked and found that ldlinux.sys was not installed. The problem is from syslinux-nomtools. When one runs syslinux-nomtools, an error message of "prossibly unsafe /tmp/permissions". I used syslinux under Puppy 3.01 and ldlinuxsys was installed. The usb device booted correctly in Dingo alpha 5.
I have just tested a usb flash install using the Universal Installer.
I firstly deleted all files in the flash drive partition, unmounted, then ran the Uni Installer. It worked, ldlinux.sys got installed. It booted up fine.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#7 Post by BarryK »

Okay, a full HD install is causing trouble. I'll test that tomorrow, when I get home.

divisionmd

Upgrade 2.17 to Alpha 5

#8 Post by divisionmd »

Hello all,

Dont know if this should be possible.

But i tried booting the Dinga Alpha 5 from cd, and then load a Pupp 2.17 Pup_save file.

It started to converting (upgrading) , and then i got a kernel panic message.

Best regards,
Johan

Rudy

#9 Post by Rudy »

Issue with external PCMCIA CD-Rom Drive (sony vaio pIII 64MB RAM, subnotebook):

Until 1.07, the live CD booted with no problem
Until 3.01, and dingo alpha 1/2 (?) the CD booted with boot-parameter "ide1=0x180"

With Alpha 5 it doesn't boot at all on this machine. Tried all combinations with "nopcmcia", "ide2=0x180" etc which work for Slackware-based distros. The error is, that after loading the initrd (this still works), the system can't find the (external) CD ROM and jumps to an emergency shell...

Is there a new parameter available - or could be the PCMCIA stuff is suddenly missing in the kernel at this alpha stage....?

nic2109

Network Modules

#10 Post by nic2109 »

Dingo has introduced the wireless module ipl3945 in the place of ipw3945. This module lacks WPA support, which makes wireless networking a "No Go" for me and many others. :(

Is there an alternative module for the Intel/PRO 3945 wireless lan card? I got several false hits when trying to Auto-load but found nothing that worked.

BTW, WPA is supposed to be present in 3.01 but fails for me and I had to go back to 2.16 to find one that worked. It still uses ipw3945 so there's something else getting in the way in the younger puppies.

Edit (days and days later) - I've discovered since the above post that while the Network wizard says that the WPA connection could not be established and returns with a "Failure" message, that it then retries and eventually works. Well it did in Muppy008, where it has worked reliably since then. So I conclude that it's ONLY Dingo that has a WPA problem, and that is by design thanks to the choice of module i.e. ipl3945 in place of ipw3945. :?:
Last edited by nic2109 on Sat 19 Jan 2008, 22:09, edited 1 time in total.

divisionmd

kernel source

#11 Post by divisionmd »

Hello all,

Is there link out there for the kernel source for Dingo Alpha 5?

Would like to test to install VMware.

Best regards,
Johan

BarryK
Puppy Master

#12 Post by BarryK »

Kernel source (and third party modules):
http://www.puptrix.org/sources/kernel-2.6.23.12-dingo/

RMP

#13 Post by RMP »

Just a few little problems I have found using the live cd.

I am using a wireless USB dongle (Zydas 1211b chipset) with WPA. Go through the network setup and it comes back saying it has connected. I then open the web browser and it hasn't in fact connected but about 20 seconds later there is activity from the cd and then it connects fine.

The move to Xine is great especially in the browser. One issue, on some radio streams it come back MMS is not a registered protocol.

Thanks for all the hard work.

Richard

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#14 Post by Flash »

Multisession seems to be working fine. At least it saved one session so far. :) Thanks, Barry. I haven't found anything else wrong, but I haven't had time to test much else.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

JustGreg

#15 Post by JustGreg »

I have just installed net_setup-3.96 pet on Puppy 3.01 system with Linksys USB wireless device (RT73 driver). It solved the problem with network wizard connecting to a WPA2 network. I no longer need the script using wpa_supplicant that I have been using. I defined the profile and it works.

I know this is the same version in Dingo alpha 5. I gave it a try. Previously I reported that my wpa_supplicant script failed with the wpa_supplicant in alpha 5. I was surprised to see the network setup script report it could not make the WPA connection. Then the script ran a test of wireless network and the connection was made. I hit the autodhcpc key and could use the network. I do not completely understand what is going on. The new network setup script does work for me, a bit strangely in Dingo alpha 5.

I found the problem :oops: I had installed version 0.5.8 for wpa_supplicant, wpa_cli and wpa_passphase. I need to restore the correct version. I restore the correct version and now can not connect to WPA2. The new version of wpa_supplicant (0.6.0) does not support the RALINK drivers.
Last edited by JustGreg on Mon 14 Jan 2008, 01:42, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

alienjeff

HP Pavilion XE736E video woes

#16 Post by alienjeff »

Highest res w/Xorg is 800x600. Xvidtune can adjust to near-perfect 1024x724, though upon restarting X, new setting persists in xorg.conf, however screen remains the original distorted display. Commenting out the UseModes line doesn't help, either.

Box: HP Pavilion XE736E
Intel Celeron 600 (Coppermine)
RAM 256M
monitor - very generic Dell

Apparently the new Xorg doesn't like the i810 chipset.

Show stopper. Viva la v2.12!
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

Ted Dog

kernel panic DingoA5 pupsave only

#17 Post by Ted Dog »

I booted via HD grub, initial boot all fine set up alsa, wireless, and x11-vesa mode 1280x800. choose save to pupsave and reboot competed fine. On next boot, kernel panic. If grub kernel line pfix=ram then no panic.

John Doe

#18 Post by John Doe »

here i mentioned under "app troubles:" 'Pwireless just keeps opening back up when I X it out. One actually has to press 'quit' to make it go away. This made me chuckle a bit.'

I fixed it by adding this at line 420:

Code: Select all

###exit the program if the X button is pushed

if [ "`echo "$RESULTS" | grep abort`" != "" ]; then
exit 0
fi
I'll PM plinej.

plinej

#19 Post by plinej »

Thanks, I just updated pwireless with your bugfix.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=23121

Kenn

#20 Post by Kenn »

Hi,
I have a problem booting a thinkpad 600 with Dingo which dosn't exist with 2.16.
When there is either no drive or a CF disk on IDE the result is a loooong wait and drops to a prompt. The exact text is:

"loading kernel drivers needed to access disk drives ... done
Searching for Puppy files in computer disk drives ... pup_395.sfs not found. Dropping out to initial-ramdisk console...
/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off"

I tried a few different boot parameters without success, but none were necessary for 2.16.

Any insights?
-- Ken