Resizing NTFS on Vista

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Bruce B

Resizing NTFS on Vista

#1 Post by Bruce B »

Resizing NTFS on Vista

This how to is not really my creation, attribution goes to to forum contributer WayneS. Editing and additional comments, if any, in brackets by Bruce

Forum source topic reference at: Puppy's gparted NTFS tools version not for Vista

WayneS' first post:
  • After a bit of digging I discovered that the version of the NTFS tools that puppy is using is not the ones recommended to be used with Vista.

The version puppy is using is v1.13.1 while the Vista frendly version is v2.0. I found this out by typing ntfsfix -V on the command line. Any idea how to update the version puppy is using ?

-----------------------------------------------

[Following is a recap of how WayneS fixed things]:
  • Thanks for all the feedback.

I was shrinking and then moving an NTFS partition on a 30 gig USB drive that I use with both Vista and Puppy. I used gparted in puppy to do it and afterwards Vista refused to boot up if the USB drive was plugged in. Had to shut it down hard and was unable to get to the files using Vista. By down loading the Parted Magic Live CD (as posted on this forum) I was able to recover the partition using the newer version of ntfsfix thats on it .

Since then I have managed to fix gparted in puppy too by doing the following.
  • * Down load [and install if needed] the C compiler for puppy. [A devx_xxx.sfs file. The xxx is for your version of Puppy. If anyone knows where to find all the devx files, and some instructions for using them, PM Flash with the info (and a link to this post.)]

* Down load the latest GNU NTFS tools source from GNU ( version 2.0.0 )

* Compile it on puppy ( following the instructions in the README )
    remove the older versions of the NTFS command line tools from /usr/bin

* Done.

gparted finds the new NTFS library so you don't need to do anything to it.
    I have tested gparted by shinking , moving , creating etc. and then booting back to Vista.
    I had to run the command line tool ntfsfix once for some reason so now I always run it prior to switching to Vista and Vista seems happy now.

---------------------

For my (Bruce's) part I went to the Parted Magic Website. I confirmed that the current version 1.9 has the requisite ntfsprogs-2.0 as well as ntfs-3g-1.913

An edit note: The Puppy versions affected I suppose are up to 3.01 - I also suppose in the near future Puppy version releases will be updated and this howto will be obsolete.

=======