pcPuppyOS - with Citrix, Cisco VPN, OOffice/Oxygen, WPA2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
friedsonjm

#61 Post by friedsonjm »

New version will be uploaded tonight, 21 Jan 08.
jf

friedsonjm

#62 Post by friedsonjm »

RC2 posted 22 Jan 08; Upgraded WINE, upgraded JAVA, SAMBA fixed for printer sharing.
jf
http://www.pcpuppyos.com

Turpin

#63 Post by Turpin »

If I had money to spend, I'd make a donation for a XFCE version. Instead, I'll be trying to figure out how to make XFCE work. I was going to start using NOP as a base, but then I'd be missing out on these Citrix and Cisco things that I may use at some point in the future. How hard are those to install, by the way? I take it pretty difficult. Maybe logically what I should ask is which would be harder for a fairly new puppy addict to get working, those server thingies or XFCE in PCPuppyos? I'm asking anyone who has a clue. I know my place, I haven't exactly paid for support.
LOL, if I ever get a networking job, I will never reveal my online forum identity. I'd never hear the end of "thingies"

Pizzasgood

#64 Post by Pizzasgood »

I don't really remember how hard it was. I did them way back in October or November (twice, because after the first time John pointed out that there was an English version :oops: ), then I tweaked things a couple times over the months.

I don't actually know anything about those two packages though. Several people have confirmed that they do work, so I just take their word for it.

One thing I plan to do sometime is throw together some packages of things in pcPuppyOS for standard Puppy 3.01. Maybe I can get started on that tomorrow if nothing else comes up.

As for XFCE, I've seen packages that were very easy to install, and I've seen packages that were not easy. So it depends. One issue you might have with installing it in pcPuppyOS is the menu. If it can handle XDG it should work, but sometimes different WMs implement it differently (in fact, JWM and IceWM don't support it at all, so we use an addon to do it for those).
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Turpin

#65 Post by Turpin »

You're awesome. Thanks so much. ANd you just clued me in on why I haven't been able to get XFCE to work in the shiny new Puppy 4 beta 1. I'll definitely give it a try on PCPuppyos then. By the way, is that normal for PCPuppyOS to take 4 to minutes to boot? I have a somewhat fast pc (AMD 3700+ with 1GB ram), booting from DVD. I even tried turning off all but a couple services. Nice service toggle panel, by the way.
[color=darkgreen]Oh dear, another BSOD. That just makes me so angry; so very angry indeed..[/color]

Pizzasgood

#66 Post by Pizzasgood »

I haven't tried it from DVD, but I know it takes a while from CD. It's copying about 600 MB off the disk into ram so it doesn't have to access the disk while it's running. If you don't have that much ram it will actually boot faster, but then it will access the disk now and then, which slows things down. This behavior can be forced with the puppy pfix=noram boot option. Things are faster when it's installed, or if you just copy the pup_301.sfs file to the harddrive. With a full-hd install it should boot and run almost as fast as a normal 3.01 full-hd install (it will be a little slower due to starting extra things like the clock, but those can be disabled via the toggle menu).
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

Pizzasgood

#67 Post by Pizzasgood »

Turpin

#68 Post by Turpin »

Cool, Thanks. That gives me more options to consider. And more is always better than less.