Dingo Alpha 4 (full) release Jan 5

Please post any bugs you have found
BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Usb install

#41 Post by BarryK »

geneven wrote:Ok, I'm a bit confused about where we are in this dialog, what version we are discussing, which thread (here or bugs?) etc. But here is where _I_ am. Maybe I should go back to beginner's class.

I am running Dingo Alpha 5. I still can't install to USB using the Universal installer.

When I run the universal installer, it currently tells me that I can run the partitioner, because I currently have no partitions.

After I run the partitioner and made it all a ext3 partition (it had been formatted in windows xp as vfat, I guess you call it), it basically told me the same thing. So I reran the parititioner and left some of the 2 gig Patriot usb drive unformatted, the rest ext 3.

P.S. why the confusion? There are separate threads in the 'Bugs" section for Dingo alpha1, alpha2, alpha3, alpha4, alpha5, each titled appropriately.
I still basically get the choice of installing as a megafloppy or rerunning the partitioner again.

I don't mind running from my DVD; it works great. But I thought I'd report this.
Did you try
1. unplug then replug the USB drive, or
2. Reboot then plug in the USB drive.
I made the note recently in my blog that the 2.6.23.12 kernel seems to have a degraded hotplug. If USB partitions are changed, the information in /proc and /sys does not update. A "hotplug event" is not even generated by reading from the drive. But perhaps a re-plug, will do it, failing that a reboot. This is quite a sad situation with this kernel.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]