Puppy Podcast Grabber

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
kirk

Puppy Podcast Grabber

#1 Post by kirk »

This is a small update to Brad_chuck's package found here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 87&t=14392
Puppy Podcast Grabber is a complex set of shell scripts that downloads and manages Podcasts. This is somewhat like Bashpodder GUI or Bash Podder GUI with more fetures and made just for Puppy.

Fetures

1. Deletes old Podcasts after a user selected time has gone by
2. Can be used with or without the supplyed GUI
3. Simple to use
4. Fast and SMALL ( 1k )

I added id3tool, which is a command line id3 tag editor for mp3 files. Now when you download a MP3 file, the author's name is filled in on the tag. If you use a mp3 player you'll see the name of the author instead of blank. Also some of the MP3s I downloaded had very long file names, like somename.mp3blablabla... So I added some code to truncate MP3 files after .mp3.

Edit: Puppy 4 (dingo) has id3tag, so the script has been modified to use that instead of id3tool.
Attachments
Puppy-Podcast-Grabber.pet
uploaded 1/8/8 with id3tag changes
(18.97 KiB) Downloaded 955 times
Last edited by kirk on Mon 07 Jan 2008, 16:07, edited 1 time in total.

brad_chuck

Thanks for the update

#2 Post by brad_chuck »

Thanks for the update. I got a great new job and have not had time to update it. It looks good and I will test it out later today.

hillside

#3 Post by hillside »

Thanks kirk and brad-chuck.

This is exactly what I needed. Podcast downloads are now easy.

National Public Radio and the BBC are gold mines of great podcasts. I can stand at the potting bench and work at the most mundane tasks while my mind is improved and my horizons are expanded.

After a few minutes of testing, I was able to figure out how to use the included id3tool from the command line to modify my old mp3 files that weren't well tagged.

This is very nice.

atheist

#4 Post by atheist »

why does ppg seem to grab only one file at a time? i'm trying to download some air america shows that air on a daily basis, and it's starting with a show from jan 17!

is there any way to catch up- that is, mark which episodes of a particular feed should be downloaded?

also, what does this mean:

Code: Select all

---------------------------------
---   Puppy Podcast Grabber   ---
---------------------------------

-- Updating maddow

-- Downloading aarm011708.mp3

./ppg.sh: line 157: id3tag: command not found
-- Updating seder

-- Downloading aass101407.mp3

./ppg.sh: line 157: id3tag: command not found
thanks for the help!

kirk

#5 Post by kirk »

is there any way to catch up- that is, mark which episodes of a particular feed should be downloaded?
No good way. Most RSS feeds only post a couple shows at a time, so it's not a problem.

/ppg.sh: line 157: id3tag: command not found
You don't have id3tag. Id3tag is used to set the name part of the MP3 tag. Puppy 4 (dingo) includes this.