Boot puppy with sshd and root password from Live CD

Using applications, configuring, problems
genell

Boot puppy with sshd and root password from Live CD

#1 Post by genell »

Hi all! I've been playing with puppies for a while, and thought I'd train my own juvenile canine for a special purpose.
I have a server at home running gentoo, and during an update lately I changed something in the startup routines, so it get's stuck before starting sshd.

I only have a laptop otherwise, and the server has no screen nor keyboard, so I thought I would customize Puppy .iso that contains a password for root and that starts sshd at boot.

I've installed ssh_sftp.pup and played around with the 'Remaster...' function, but it seems the password for root is not tranferred to the new .iso.

Does anybody have any advice?

Thanx

/genell

Pizzasgood

#2 Post by Pizzasgood »

I don't use the remaster script (Unleashed is more suited for what I do), so I might be wrong. But I think there should be a stage where it has created a copy of the filesystem but hasn't compressed it into the pup_xxx.sfs file yet. At that stage you should be able to put in any files you want and have them included. So if that's correct, you can use passwd to set your root password, then when you reach that stage of the script, just replace the /etc/shadow file it's using with the one in your normal filesystem.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

genell

#3 Post by genell »

As far as I understand it, the script allows me to add stuff to /tmp/etc and /tmp/root before adding them to the pup_xxx.sfs file. I tried brutally doing 'cp -r /etc /tmp/' but when booting that in the server the password still didn't work...

The sshd_setup.sh script that came with the sshd-sftp.pup package generates key pairs for the sshd server. Maybe I can export a key and use that when logging in?

I haven't used key pairs much before, so I'm a bit unsure how to do it...

regards,

/genell