Add a "pfix=noram" option to your Puppy

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
pri

#16 Post by pri »

thanks... pizzasgood now my puppy will be run, even it fat :D.

already have multiuser for easy use too ? :D
Learning by Doing

lee321987

#17 Post by lee321987 »

Hello.

Every time I do this (even tried using Pizzasgoods' patch file), the boot screen does this:

Code: Select all

Loading drivers needed to access disk drives....   done
Searching for Puppy files in computer disk drives...pup-431.sfs not found. Dropping out to initial-ramdisk console...
/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
Any ideas?

Pizzasgood

#18 Post by Pizzasgood »

Turns out the problem isn't my changes. For Puppy 4.3.x, it looks like you need to use the -R option when running mkisofs. Otherwise the init script won't be able to locate the pup-431.sfs on the iso you build.

(Thank goodness for Qemu or it would have taken me about ten times as long to figure that out and verify it.)
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

gjuhasz

Puppy apps placed on hard disk

#19 Post by gjuhasz »

I am happy to find this topic. The pfix=noram option is an ultimate solution if we have little RAM installed. Of course, Puppy becomes slower this case.

But...

What to do if you like some puppy variants, such as Bruno, but they are slow because you have 256 MB of RAM only? In my favorite distros, there are many nice-to-have packages (as parts of the distros' main sfs file) that could be better to lay in the hard disk. Per se, different users want different files to exile to the hard drive. How to replace a subset of files from the read-only sfs with links to the hard disk?

Don't try to move files from the sfs to the hard disk then put links in their original folder. Beyond response time and/or speed issues, Aufs/Unionfs punishes you with more RAM occupied.

A more complex but successful method to delete files from the read-only sfs (then replace them with links of course) is like this:

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=71821 (I don't know whether this method has been applied for Puppies, please advise... I would prefer a simple "drag&drop" utility in the System menu for this purpose.)

A simple workaround is selecting a fat-free puppy then placing static packages (Skype, Zoiper, Opera52, Iron etc.) on the hard drive. This keeps the system being fast and prevents consuming RAM.

I know, dynamic sfs inclusion is well implemented in choicepup. I like it. Choicepup is very flexible, but unfortunately not too comfortable for some users such as my mother-in-low...
Last edited by gjuhasz on Thu 29 Apr 2010, 10:56, edited 5 times in total.

lee321987

mkisofs

#20 Post by lee321987 »

What file do I need to put 'mkisofs -R' in?

gjuhasz

deleted

#21 Post by gjuhasz »

Sorry Duplicate posted (How to delete a post?)

abushcrafter

#22 Post by abushcrafter »

How do I have "pfix=noram" with the big puplets copy2ram fix: Barry Kauler Blog please?

Pizzasgood

#23 Post by Pizzasgood »

I guess it would be the same as for 431, except for the final part. Instead of what I said before at the end, change the code like this:

[ "$PUPSFSDEVMNTPT" = "" ] && COPY2RAM="yes"
  #v405 fast media plus more than 256MB ram then definitely worth copying to ram...
 [ "`echo -n "$FASTPARTS0" | grep "$PUPSFSDEV"`" != "" ] && [ $RAMSIZE -gt 280000 ] && COPY2RAM="yes"
to be like this:

[ "$PUPSFSDEVMNTPT" = "" ] && [ "$PNORAM" != "yes" ] &&  COPY2RAM="yes" 
 #v405 fast media plus more than 256MB ram then definitely worth copying to ram...
 SIZESFSK=`du -k ${PUPSFSDEVMNTPT}${PUPSFSFILE} | cut -f 1`
 SIZESFSK=$(($SIZESFSK + 1000)) #some slack.
 MINRAM2CPY=$(($SIZESFSK * 2)) #100222 technosaurus: in case of very big puppies.
 [ "`echo -n "$FASTPARTS0" | grep "$PUPSFSDEV"`" != "" ] && [ $RAMSIZE -gt 280000 ] && [ $RAMSIZE -gt $MINRAM2CPY ] && [ "$PNORAM" != "yes" ] && COPY2RAM="yes"
WARNING: I have not tested this. I have not even looked at the init script. I just put this together looking at my old post and the linked blog entry. Also, it is quarter past midnight right now. So, use the above at your own risk. :wink:
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

lobo115

checksum problem

#24 Post by lobo115 »

hello
I use it in lightpup but it appear a checksum error.
thanks

Pizzasgood

#25 Post by Pizzasgood »

I'm going to need more information than you've given me. I'm not sure what you mean by "it appear a checksum error".

Like I said, I haven't tested this with anything newer than 4.3.1, so if Lighthouse Pup is based on something newer, it might not work. (I can play with Puppy 5.0 this weekend though.)

lobo115

Checksum

#26 Post by lobo115 »

hello thanks for your answer, i add the lines the problem is that when i try to boot it appaaer checksum error and i cant use it. Thanks

Pizzasgood

#27 Post by Pizzasgood »

What things does it say before it says "checksum error"?

Which of the sets of directions did you follow?

abushcrafter

#28 Post by abushcrafter »

Thanks. Back from holiday now so I will now test this out but first I need to find the doc on the commands to make the initrd.gz.

[Edit]Found this HowTo: Puppy Linux Discussion Forum :: View topic - Howto unpack, edit and repack initrd.gz.

abushcrafter

#29 Post by abushcrafter »

When booting I get:

Kernel panic can't find init.
when I try pfix=noram or on a normal boot.

Pizzasgood

#30 Post by Pizzasgood »

Huh. I just tested it with 5.0 and it worked here. (Well, I didn't verify that pfix=noram actually performed as advertised with this version, but I verified that it booted ok.)

It could be that something went wrong when you extracted and then rebuilt the initrd.gz file. Did you do it on a Linux partition? If you try to extract it on a Windows partition (like the outside of a USB drive) it will screw up stuff like file permissions. If you don't have real Linux partitions on your harddrives, you could still use the inside of your savefile, or the /tmp directory.

abushcrafter

#31 Post by abushcrafter »

I used my reiserfs formatted partition

Pizzasgood

#32 Post by Pizzasgood »

Could you post the initrd.gz file? Then I can take it apart and poke around to see if I can see what went wrong.

abushcrafter

#33 Post by abushcrafter »

Pizzasgood

#34 Post by Pizzasgood »

Hey. Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I was busy, and then I forgot about it. :oops:

Anyway, it turns out your problem is an easy fix. You goofed up the shebang. If you look at the first line in your init script, you'll see that it looks like this:

#v405 fast media plus more #!/bin/sh
It needs to look like this instead:

#!/bin/sh
#v405 fast media plus more
The key is that first line. It's called the "shebang" and it tells the shell which program should interpret the script - in this case /bin/sh, which is normally a symlink to the default shell. Since yours was goofed, Puppy didn't know what to do when it tried to run init, and therefor init died, which caused a kernel panic.

abushcrafter

#35 Post by abushcrafter »

Pizzasgood wrote:Hey. Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I was busy, and then I forgot about it. :oops:
It's ok, I have found other things to do in my power user puppy which has kept me busy. Even if I was not busy don't stress about it. I still need to send some photos still to some people it's been a year and a half and I have not set them :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:. The reason I have not sent them is that I have been busy on sorting out a system to sort them out on!
Pizzasgood wrote:Anyway, it turns out your problem is an easy fix. You goofed up the shebang. If you look at the first line in your init script, you'll see that it looks like this:

#v405 fast media plus more #!/bin/sh
It needs to look like this instead:

#!/bin/sh
#v405 fast media plus more
The key is that first line. It's called the "shebang" and it tells the shell which program should interpret the script - in this case /bin/sh, which is normally a symlink to the default shell. Since yours was goofed, Puppy didn't know what to do when it tried to run init, and therefor init died, which caused a kernel panic.
:oops:. How did I do that....? Oh well. Thanks for your time :).