wNOP v0.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
37fleetwood

#376 Post by 37fleetwood »

ok, here you go, let me give a little more detail.
step one:
start up computer and go through the regular puppy stuffup to the xorg wizard.
step two:
tab down to 1440x900 24bit hit enter
step three:
always hit test! and go through that. after everything looks good it's off to the compiz fusion wizard thing.
step four:
on this one I have tried auto, I have tried manual, in manual I have tried all the available options. (do you know what a bother it is? you have to go through the whole xorg wizard thing to get back to the compiz wizard, and to get to the xorg wizard you have to start in vesa and go to the xorg wizard from xfce and start all over :roll: )
step five:
I have gone back and tried all the different resolutions and color depths and all the refresh rates in xorg hoping that one would work. (on other puppies I can get xorg working at 1440x900 24bit color and 56 refresh)
step six:
in the compiz fusion wizard I finally chose start xfce without compiz-fusion. and here I am!!

now here is what I have been getting. the setup looks good but when the desktop starts the pointer looks fine but the desktop looks scrambled like the refresh rate is wrong even though when testing the setup in the xorg wizard everything was fine. the only thing to do is to hit ctrl alt backspace and go back to the xorg wizard. when the desk top starts you can see the xfce box come and go and then you can see the icons pop on and if you right click you can see the start menu and if you go to the top the bar comes down and everything is working great it is just like when I was a kid watching playboy channel without paying for it. it's all running fine just scrambled!

right now I'm running in xorg 800x600 24bit and ran the thing you asked me too and here it is, hopefully it helps but I'm not in compiz fusion and there isn't really a crash per say. I apreciate your time and trouble helping me.
Scott 8)
Attachments
wNOPdump.tar.gz
(12.92 KiB) Downloaded 630 times

37fleetwood

#377 Post by 37fleetwood »

ok, I'm beginning to think it is something to do with the xorg, after posting the last post I tried to get xorg restarted with a more favorable resolution than 800x600 and can't get it working at all. I have other puppies that work fine with xorg but this one doesn't seem to. the next possible issue is that the monitor is hooked up via the "digital" cable (DVI) rather than the regular vga cable. would it help to do another dump running one of the other puppies with xorg running fine? let me know.
Scott 8)

tombh

#378 Post by tombh »

Okay, I think I see the problem, and it's one that's coming up gain and again -- a bug in cfwizard that won't let you override Xorg's generic vesa driver (different from the Xvesa server). I've already promised to fix this for the next release.

To fix this for now, set up Xorg exactly as you want, then choose to "start xfce without compiz-fusion". Then find and open your xorg.conf in etc/X11

Half way through the file there is a section labelled -- Section "Device"

In that you will see a bunch of commented out options, you will need to add these 2 options,

Code: Select all

Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
	Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
Also in this section there will be a line that reads,

Driver      "vesa" #card0driver
It must read,

Driver      "radeon" #card0driver
Then finally at the end of the file itself or actually just before the line that reads,

#PuppyHardwareProfile=ATI_RADEON_9200AOC1902
add this,

Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection
Then reboot X (CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE then type xwin) and run Compiz-Fusion by typing

compiz-manager
Then if that doesn't work send me another wNOPdump.

Hope that works :)
[url=http://www.tombh.co.uk/colour_memories/contribute.php]Colour-Memories Database[/url]

ragaman

Emerald Theme Manager died

#379 Post by ragaman »

Hi guys.

After I added some Emerald themes, Emerald Theme Manager would not start. I tried starting it using the Command Line and I got "Segmentation Fault". Is there any hope of reviving ETM? How?

Thanks.

tombh

#380 Post by tombh »

@ragaman: What exactly was the package(s) you installed?
[url=http://www.tombh.co.uk/colour_memories/contribute.php]Colour-Memories Database[/url]

37fleetwood

#381 Post by 37fleetwood »

Hi again,
ok I'm here again running in vesa. the problem I'm having is the xorg wizard works fine but the compiz-fusion wizard changes something. when I did as you said I got xorg working fine and then I chose the manual setup and then chose the xfce without compiz fusion and it started up exactly the same as before, the mouse pointer works fine but the desktop is scrambled. I'm going to try altering the lines you mentioned and see if I can restart x
Scott 8)

37fleetwood

#382 Post by 37fleetwood »

ok, for some reason, going back and trying to set up xorg through the wizard doesn't work. if you boot the computer the xorg wizard will set up correctly, if you go back to it from running in vesa it will not configure properly at any setting (always the scrambled screen). I set xorg to a setting that I know works on boot and ignored the fact that it fails the test and continued on to the compiz manager and same result as before. all this after altering the file as described. so I'm thinking first thing to address may be getting me going in xorg without compiz and then trying to get it working next. now I have a few other puppies that work fine with xorg, it's just this one. all this is running from the cd as I'm not to confident about installing it while it doesn't work yet. I have a small hard drive if that would make it easier to work on i could do an install.
thanks for your help I'm hoping you can still figure this out.
Scott 8)
P.S. am I the only one having this problem? I mean I know that this is tricky to set up with an ati card but the scrambled screen, is it common?

ragaman

#383 Post by ragaman »

I installed the following Emerald Themes:

TruGRN
Zwurgh
Glassy
italy
87898ice

Solved this by removing above themes.

tombh

#384 Post by tombh »

@37fleetwood:

Okay, let's try it this way round. Here's what your xorg.conf should be, the only thing you may want to change is the resolution about 7 lines from the bottom.

base config file used in Puppy Linux.
Section "Module"

# This loads the direct rendering module needed for hardware accelerated graphics
# Needed for Compiz-Fusion to function
    Load        "dri"

# This loads the DBE extension module.

Load        "dbe"  	# Double buffer extension

# This loads the miscellaneous extensions module, and disables
# initialisation of the XFree86-DGA extension within that module.
    SubSection  "extmod"
      Option    "omit xfree86-dga"   # don't initialise the DGA extension
    EndSubSection

# This loads the font modules
    Load        "type1"
    Load        "freetype"

# This loads the GLX module
    Load       "glx"

# This loads xtrap extension, used by xrandr
    Load       "xtrap"

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Files section.  This allows default font and rgb paths to be set

Section "Files"

# The location of the RGB database.  Note, this is the name of the
# file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db").  There is normally
# no need to change the default.

RgbPath	"/usr/X11R7/lib/X11/rgb"

# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (which are concatenated together),
# as well as specifying multiple comma-separated entries in one FontPath
# command (or a combination of both methods)

FontPath   "/usr/X11R7/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R7/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R7/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/"

EndSection

# Server flags section.

Section "ServerFlags"

# Uncomment this to disable the <Crtl><Alt><Fn> VT switch sequence
# (where n is 1 through 12).  This allows clients to receive these key
# events.

#    Option "DontVTSwitch"

# Enables mode switching with xrandr
# There is a report that this can cause Xorg not to work on some
# video hardware, so default is commented-out...
# but i want to use it in xorgwizard so leave on...

Option "RandR" "on"

EndSection

#everything past here is auto-generated by Puppy's Xorg Wizard...

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "X.org Configured"
	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
	InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
	InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
	Driver      "kbd"
	Option      "XkbRules" "xorg"
	Option      "XkbModel" "pc102"
	Option      "XkbLayout" "us" #xkeymap0
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Mouse0"
	Driver      "mouse"
	Option	    "Protocol" "IMPS/2" #mouse0protocol
	Option	    "Device" "/dev/mouse"
	#Option      "Emulate3Buttons"
	#Option      "Emulate3Timeout" "50"
	Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" #scrollwheel
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	#DisplaySize	  410   260	# mm
	Identifier   "Monitor0"
	VendorName   "AOC"
	ModelName    "G19LWk"
	### Comment all HorizSync and VertRefresh values to use DDC:
	Option	    "DPMS"
	HorizSync    30.0-83.0
	VertRefresh  50.0-72
	#UseModes     "Modes0" #monitor0usemodes
	EndSection

Section "Modes"
	Identifier "Modes0"
	#modes0modeline0
EndSection

Section "Device"

Identifier  "Card0"
	Driver      "radeon" #card0driver
	VendorName  "ATI Technologies Inc"
	BoardName   "RV280 [Radeon 9200 SE]"
	BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Screen0"
	Device     "Card0"
	Monitor    "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth 24
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes       "1024×768"
    EndSubsection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection

#PuppyHardwareProfile=ATI_RADEON_9200AOC1902
So let's forget about Compiz-Fusion just for the moment and try and get Xorg going with DRI. You want to be booting from a fresh install, therefore the pfix=ram option at boot. You want to choose Xorg and just accept all the defaults or whatever you need to get Xorg to the desktop. Once at the desktop, replace your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and then reboot X (CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE then xwin to comeback). Now hopefully there will be no scrambling and when you type cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep dri there'll be some success message!

@ragaman: Well done. Yeah I guess some themes are just not compatible.

37fleetwood

#385 Post by 37fleetwood »

here's the problem, I cant get it going in xorg at all. as soon as I get through the xorg wizard successfully, the compiz wizard thing shows up and changes something and then there is no setting in xorg that will work.
I tried pasting what you had into the xorg.conf and reboot from vesa but it came back in vesa, if i go to the xorg wizard it will rewrite what I just wrote won't it? and even if I get through that, the compiz thing will just change it again and we're back where we started. I tried starting with a clean disc of puppy 4 dingo and installed xfce4 with no problem but when I started installing and bug fixing the 3d accelleration it did the same thing we're having here. could it be that the compiz wizard thing is starting x with 3d accelleration enabled when my settings for it are wrong? and even if I try to start in xfce43 without compiz the wizard still tries for 3d accelleration? I'm just guessing but that's where it seems to go bad.
Scott 8)

37fleetwood

#386 Post by 37fleetwood »

ok, I went on my instincts and from the xorg wizard I deleted these lines from xorg.conf

# This loads the direct rendering module needed for hardware accelerated graphics
# Needed for Compiz-Fusion to function
Load "dri"

# This loads the DBE extension module.

Load "dbe" # Double buffer extension

I am now running in xorg at 1440x900 24bit!:lol:
so now we know the problem is the 3d accelleration so maybe you can help me from here, tell me what to do.
Scott

jtouso

New version Wnop

#387 Post by jtouso »

"...a bug in cfwizard that won't let you override Xorg's generic vesa driver (different from the Xvesa server). I've already promised to fix this for the next release."
Yes, waiting new version but...when?

tombh

#388 Post by tombh »

@Scott: Oh dear, it's tough isn't it! We'll get there though. So you tried getting DRI going in Puppy 4, if you're up for it I think you'd be better off going down that root. The How To I wrote for Compiz-Fusion in Puppy 4, is basically everything that the CFwizard tries to do automatically in wNOP, so if you can follow the How To, we'll have a lot more control over the process. We just want to be concentrating on everything before actually getting Compiz-Fusion going, therefore just getting DRI going. How does that sound?

@jtouso: How have you got on with the How To yourself?

37fleetwood

#389 Post by 37fleetwood »

sounds fine but remember I'm very new to this stuff. I deleted both dri, and dbe because i wasn't sure at the time but I have since put dbe back in place without any adverse reactions. so I am agreed and have already burned Dingo and installed the ati drivers etc and installed xfce4. I also had to delete the Load "dri" now that the 3d accelleration software is in place. now to get it working. this I expect is going to be tricky since running it makes the screen impossible to read. shall I post over there or do you want to continue here?
Scott 8)
P.S. perhaps the lack of 3d acceleration compatibility is something that could be addressed in future releases of puppy as I really think you are onto something with Compiz-Fusion. it is just too cool to pass on for eye candy!

tombh

#390 Post by tombh »

Yeah, I agree Cf is certainly about more than eye-candy! It's rethinking the whole way we interact with a computer, and seeing as so many people spend so much time doing so much important stuff with a computer pushing the boundaries a bit must be a good thing.

Yeah let's take it over to the How To thread. My first question would be, what do you mean by "installing the ati drivers"? You don't mean the proprietary FGLRX driver do you? Because they'd almost certainly be responsible for the garbage screens you get.

reasonit

#391 Post by reasonit »

Hey am gettting a problem. refresh rates are stuck at 60 :(, it seems I am stuck in vesa.. i.e X loads but only with vesa driver.

Ran xorgwizard several times and manually configured xorg.conf . with no change in flickering.
I have run puppy in the past( and loved it), this is a new machine am trying on.., also compiz did run with ubuntu..

Config: ati xpress 1200 integrated mobo. 1gb ram , X2 4000

Output of - cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep dri
X.Org XInput driver : 0.7
(II) LoadModule: "dri"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libdri.so
(II) Module dri: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//vesa_drv.so
ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 0.7
ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 0.7
(II) VESA: driver for VESA chipsets: vesa
Device section From xorg.conf
Section "Device"
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "vesa" #card0driver
VendorName "ATI Technologies Inc"
BoardName "ATI Radeon Xpress 1200 Series"
BusID "PCI:1:5:0"
EndSection
I tried changing
Driver "vesa" to Driver "radeon"
, but then X wldn't start...

Running glxinfo, wNPOinspect, - crashes X

Help please..
ty

tazoc

#392 Post by tazoc »

Hi, have you tried driver 'ati' instead of 'radeon'? The "ati" driver is a wrapper that will load the "radeon" driver if possible. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver That page has some good tips for editing /etc/Xorg.conf, just disregard anything regarding 'apt-get' and 'gdm'.

Not sure whether 3D accelleration is supported with your card but at least 2D should work. Maybe someone else has an ati xpress and can help?

If X crashes, maybe try:

grep (EE) /var/log/Xorg.0.log
and

grep (WW) /var/log/Xorg.0.log
TazOC
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

tombh

#393 Post by tombh »

Yeah, I'd recomend the ATI driver too, but you're going to need to get the latest installer from their website

tombh

#394 Post by tombh »

dinky

#395 Post by dinky »

Hi folks, in light of tombh's post above, have a look at Project Ripple: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... hp?t=32242 Ripple closely follow the deveopment of future puppies. Cheers!
~dinky