wNOP v0.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Aitch

#361 Post by Aitch »

tom....

Funny how you get used to what you think someone's appearance is, when you haven't got a clue....

Is that a recent shot?

Somehow, I prefer the old one

Have you got uglier? :wink: :lol:

Sorry, don't take offence, my gob seems to be saying things people can't handle, lately

Barryleavingitis, I think :wink:

Aitch :)

tombh

#362 Post by tombh »

*lol* :lol:

Yeah, it's a more recent shot, a couple of weeks ago in fact, whereas the last one was getting on for a year old. Just something I like to do, gives the impression I'm a living, breathing person. Yeah it is funny how one gets used to things without even knowing, and how we most often suddenly realise it only once the old thing has gone. You'll get used to the new tombh I'm sure!

Best Wishes,
tom :)
[url=http://www.tombh.co.uk/colour_memories/contribute.php]Colour-Memories Database[/url]

Aitch

#363 Post by Aitch »

Of course, as long as he's as smart as the last one :wink: :D

Aitch

ragaman

#364 Post by ragaman »

Funny exchange between you two. Happens only in Puppyland.

I have WNOP running flawlessly on AMD Athlon 1700XP underclocked by 10% (less heat), 512MB DDR, ATI Radeon 9250 125MB vid card.

Beautiful Puplet there Tom. Thanks.

MobileDev

#365 Post by MobileDev »

To no particular person on this thread, I would like to explain something important about CF.
This is even posted on their website (forgot where, maybe the FAQ).

GNOME, KDE, and XFCE are all desktop environments.

IceWM, Fluxbox, Enlightenment, and so on are just window managers.

In case you don't know anything about Xorg, only ONE window manager can be run at a time. Granted, Enlightenment can be hacked because it's code is in a unique position: It functions as a window manager or a desktop environment (which includes a window manager) It has certain components that can be separated and modified specifically to work with Compiz. In order to get something like IceWM, Fluxbox, etc. to work with compiz, you must first edit their source code so that they behave like, and are treated as, desktop environments or at least desktop managers. This will take a lot of work, but IceWM and Fluxbox aren't too big, so it is doable.

On a totally off topic note, it's good to be back here on the Puppy forums. I haven't had the time to peruse this particular forum because of college. Also, if anyone has gotten VisualBoyAdvance (the native version or the windows version) working in wNOP .02, please post! I would also like to get the cool fusion icon that they have in Ubuntu working in wNOP .02 Anybody got a package for that?

Aitch

#366 Post by Aitch »

ragaman
Funny exchange between you two. Happens only in Puppyland

Familiarity breeds content :wink: :lol:

wow

#367 Post by wow »

MobileDev wrote:Also, if anyone has gotten VisualBoyAdvance (the native version or the windows version) working in wNOP .02, please post!
VisualBoyAdvance(Windows version) works with wine, you need to copy some mfc *. dll files from the Windows installation.
I'm using Puppy 4 alpha 6(pup_396) and wine 1.0.0.
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com][img]http://i.imgur.com/M4OyHe1.gif[/img][/url]

Dark Adonis

#368 Post by Dark Adonis »

Hello!
Thankyou for making this wonderful puplet! I never thought that I would have a linux that would display such dazzling effects on my PC until now!

May I please ask a question? I'm trying to remaster this wonderful puplet, but every time I do so, xorgwizard can't configure compiz! The only was I have been able to remaster it is to select "configure /etc for my computer ONLY" during the remaster script.

I would like to very much use this on other computers... If I remaster it by not configuring /etc for my computer only, when the compiz config menu comes at start up, all the fields are blank (device, driver, etc...). Manual configuration does not fix this either. I even tried remastering it with all the xorg.conf files deleted except for the original.

So may I please ask, how I would do this?

Thankyou :o

tombh

#369 Post by tombh »

Yes, this is something that has been asked before and I know that dinky is at least one person that has gotten around it. Basically, I didn't make wNOP using the remaster script, I built it by manually editing the pup_300.sfs. So I have made changes to directories that the remaster script doesn't copy over to the new remastered puplet. The only one I know of for sure that the remaster script doesn't copy over is the /tmp directory, which I put the proprietary ATI and nVidia drivers in -- therefore they will need to be copied over manually or put in an another directory, where upon paths in the cfwizard script will need to be changed.

Does that make any sense? I can't remember how dinky did it now, but he was definitely successful!

if you can tell me exactly what directories the remaster script copies over then I can tell you what's missing -- also it would help me not create the same problems in the next version of wNOP.

tom :)
[url=http://www.tombh.co.uk/colour_memories/contribute.php]Colour-Memories Database[/url]

nic2109

#370 Post by nic2109 »

Aitch wrote:Of course, as long as he's as smart as the last one :wink: :D
So far so good. Hurrah! :lol:

My "funny thing" is that while I assume that our Tom is really 'Tom B H' I always think of him as 'Tomb H' which is much more entertaining!
[color=darkblue][b][size=150]Nick[/size][/b][/color]

37fleetwood

#371 Post by 37fleetwood »

Hi, if this is too much trouble I understand, but I have been watching and waiting for this puplet to progress to the point where it would be possible for me to use. I have an old ATI radeon 9200 series. you mention newer than 7000 I believe but this one despite it's numbers is pretty old. I havent been able to get compiz-fuzion to work. I got it to work on a friends computer which only made me want to get it useable on mine worse. I am not exactly stupid but i am not very tech savy and some of the jargon makes no sense to me at all. would someone here be willing to help me to try getting this going? I was hoping for a post which said something like "all Ati bugs figured out!" but I'm getting the feeling that it isn't that simple. I've thought about getting a new video card but just can't justify that at this point.
thanks for your time
Scott

Aitch

#372 Post by Aitch »

@Nick
I always think of him as 'Tomb H' which is much more entertaining
Yep! Must be the English humus, er, I mean humour :wink:

Thanks, tom,.... good sport

tombh

#373 Post by tombh »

Yeah, I've heard some people think of me as "tomb h", like there's a graveyard somewhere with graves for every letter of the alphabet!

@37fleetwood: If you type wNOPinspect from the command line, and then post the resulting wNOPdump.tar.gz to the forum. Then I'll be able to have a good look at the problem :)

37fleetwood

#374 Post by 37fleetwood »

ok, before I try, are you talking when it's running in xfce? or before. when I start up it goes through the xorg wizard fine then it goes into the compiz-fuzion setup and falls apart. if I go back it will start fine in vesa, but without compiz-fusion. when do I type? sorry for being so novice in this stuff.
Scott 8)

tombh

#375 Post by tombh »

Ah, yes, it did occur to me what the problem is actually. You should choose the "Manual" option when the Compiz-Fusion Wizard starts, then choose ATI->Radeon (open source driver).

Boring technical bit --
You see the wizard automatically forces the ATI fglrx proprietary driver (which isn't very good) for cards newer than the 9000 (you have a 9200). The Radeon driver is actually the better driver but it won't work on the very newest cards (newer than X1300 or something) so I had to draw a line somewhere, but it doesn't matter now because we can use the "Manual" option to choose the driver for ourselves.

37fleetwood

#376 Post by 37fleetwood »

ok, here you go, let me give a little more detail.
step one:
start up computer and go through the regular puppy stuffup to the xorg wizard.
step two:
tab down to 1440x900 24bit hit enter
step three:
always hit test! and go through that. after everything looks good it's off to the compiz fusion wizard thing.
step four:
on this one I have tried auto, I have tried manual, in manual I have tried all the available options. (do you know what a bother it is? you have to go through the whole xorg wizard thing to get back to the compiz wizard, and to get to the xorg wizard you have to start in vesa and go to the xorg wizard from xfce and start all over :roll: )
step five:
I have gone back and tried all the different resolutions and color depths and all the refresh rates in xorg hoping that one would work. (on other puppies I can get xorg working at 1440x900 24bit color and 56 refresh)
step six:
in the compiz fusion wizard I finally chose start xfce without compiz-fusion. and here I am!!

now here is what I have been getting. the setup looks good but when the desktop starts the pointer looks fine but the desktop looks scrambled like the refresh rate is wrong even though when testing the setup in the xorg wizard everything was fine. the only thing to do is to hit ctrl alt backspace and go back to the xorg wizard. when the desk top starts you can see the xfce box come and go and then you can see the icons pop on and if you right click you can see the start menu and if you go to the top the bar comes down and everything is working great it is just like when I was a kid watching playboy channel without paying for it. it's all running fine just scrambled!

right now I'm running in xorg 800x600 24bit and ran the thing you asked me too and here it is, hopefully it helps but I'm not in compiz fusion and there isn't really a crash per say. I apreciate your time and trouble helping me.
Scott 8)
Attachments
wNOPdump.tar.gz
(12.92 KiB) Downloaded 630 times

37fleetwood

#377 Post by 37fleetwood »

ok, I'm beginning to think it is something to do with the xorg, after posting the last post I tried to get xorg restarted with a more favorable resolution than 800x600 and can't get it working at all. I have other puppies that work fine with xorg but this one doesn't seem to. the next possible issue is that the monitor is hooked up via the "digital" cable (DVI) rather than the regular vga cable. would it help to do another dump running one of the other puppies with xorg running fine? let me know.
Scott 8)

tombh

#378 Post by tombh »

Okay, I think I see the problem, and it's one that's coming up gain and again -- a bug in cfwizard that won't let you override Xorg's generic vesa driver (different from the Xvesa server). I've already promised to fix this for the next release.

To fix this for now, set up Xorg exactly as you want, then choose to "start xfce without compiz-fusion". Then find and open your xorg.conf in etc/X11

Half way through the file there is a section labelled -- Section "Device"

In that you will see a bunch of commented out options, you will need to add these 2 options,

Code: Select all

Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
	Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
Also in this section there will be a line that reads,

Driver      "vesa" #card0driver
It must read,

Driver      "radeon" #card0driver
Then finally at the end of the file itself or actually just before the line that reads,

#PuppyHardwareProfile=ATI_RADEON_9200AOC1902
add this,

Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection
Then reboot X (CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE then type xwin) and run Compiz-Fusion by typing

compiz-manager
Then if that doesn't work send me another wNOPdump.

Hope that works :)

ragaman

Emerald Theme Manager died

#379 Post by ragaman »

Hi guys.

After I added some Emerald themes, Emerald Theme Manager would not start. I tried starting it using the Command Line and I got "Segmentation Fault". Is there any hope of reviving ETM? How?

Thanks.

tombh

#380 Post by tombh »

@ragaman: What exactly was the package(s) you installed?