wNOP v0.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
meridian_blue

#346 Post by meridian_blue »

I have a 512mb Acer Aspire 3000 notebook with a AMD 1.8g using a 128mb SIS display adapter (the wizard displays the following... 661/741/760 PCI/AGP or 662/761Gx PCIE VGA)... I have not been able to run CF using Xorg wizard...

Is this adapter on the CF black list?

wow

#347 Post by wow »

You will need an Intel or nVidia gpu, Compiz Fusion also works with some ATI gpus supported by the open source(radeon) driver.
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com][img]http://i.imgur.com/M4OyHe1.gif[/img][/url]

meridian_blue

#348 Post by meridian_blue »

tombh

#349 Post by tombh »

I wasn't quite sure what that was, is it just Compiz-Fusion with the Enlightenment window manager? Or something else?
[url=http://www.tombh.co.uk/colour_memories/contribute.php]Colour-Memories Database[/url]

meridian_blue

#350 Post by meridian_blue »

EcoMorph is a hack of CF + Enlightenment...=!

Would it work with wNOP?

Cheers...=)
Last edited by meridian_blue on Sat 23 Aug 2008, 05:27, edited 1 time in total.

tombh

#351 Post by tombh »

I think you have to compile the whole thing yourself, which is pretty tough. I'm afraid I won't be trying it any time soon :(

What is that Enlightenment offers above other window managers?
[url=http://www.tombh.co.uk/colour_memories/contribute.php]Colour-Memories Database[/url]

meridian_blue

#352 Post by meridian_blue »

CF animates desktops and windows, E animates icons and desktop wallpaper...

EcoMorph does both...=!

Cheers...=)

tombh

#353 Post by tombh »

Ah I see, have you tried Screenlets, it has wobbly icons (well 'screenlets' is a better word actually) and there's even animated wallpaper of sorts, though I haven't tried it myself. So worth havin' a look at anyway :)

meridian_blue

#354 Post by meridian_blue »

Reminds me of Yahoo Widgets... E however, is somewhat different... Rather than a widget/screenlet animating on top of a desktop, E desktop, icon and menu animation/effects are integrated...=!

Cheers...=)

jtouso

#355 Post by jtouso »

New version waiting...
Hi Tombh:
This is my desire but I can wait!
Must it has a new fglrx-free-AMD-ATI driver for the new Ati chipsets or the possibility to try between the older one (7.XX) or the new one (8.XX). All to have acceptable 3D acceleration and AIGLX to run your wonderfull compiz.
I was trying to install compiz in the new Puppy 4 (NOP 4 with xfce) but it is impossible. My ATI 9550 don't want to work.
One of the possibilities as Wow writes is change to and Nvidia graphic chart but I am very pleased with my Ati.
Waiting under sun...

tombh

#356 Post by tombh »

@jtouso: Have you followed the instructions closely on the Compiz-Fusion for Puppy 4 thread? Because in fact the open-source radeon driver is much easier to set up and actually performs better than the FGLRX driver on cards like yours (a 9550 right?). Pay close attention to the section in the HOW TO to the bit about bugs, both the findhostbridge fix and the rc.local fix...

inigomontoya

#357 Post by inigomontoya »

Are there any newer Nvidia driver .pets? My laptop refuses to work with the 100.x.x series. It works fine with 169 and up on other distributions.

Aitch

#358 Post by Aitch »

AAAGGHH

Who's kidnapped tombh???!!! :wink: :lol:

Gosh that was a shock, mate!

There should be warnings against that!! :lol: :lol:

Aitch :)

cb88

#359 Post by cb88 »

so this ecomorph sounds cool ...i had read of a project that was working on E17 + compiz but i don't think it was called this

so it will work with any WM? WOOOT compiz + icewm finally!!! but maybe im getting a head of myself

Edit: k read some more... apparently just for e17 :-( that slow bloated thing that it is.... animated desktop waste of CPU power IMO (and yes i have tried e17 several times.....i imagine compiz would help though i always thought it felt *rigid* )
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

tombh

#360 Post by tombh »

@inigomontoya: Can you not just download the latest driver from here.

@Aitch: ;)

Aitch

#361 Post by Aitch »

tom....

Funny how you get used to what you think someone's appearance is, when you haven't got a clue....

Is that a recent shot?

Somehow, I prefer the old one

Have you got uglier? :wink: :lol:

Sorry, don't take offence, my gob seems to be saying things people can't handle, lately

Barryleavingitis, I think :wink:

Aitch :)

tombh

#362 Post by tombh »

*lol* :lol:

Yeah, it's a more recent shot, a couple of weeks ago in fact, whereas the last one was getting on for a year old. Just something I like to do, gives the impression I'm a living, breathing person. Yeah it is funny how one gets used to things without even knowing, and how we most often suddenly realise it only once the old thing has gone. You'll get used to the new tombh I'm sure!

Best Wishes,
tom :)

Aitch

#363 Post by Aitch »

Of course, as long as he's as smart as the last one :wink: :D

Aitch

ragaman

#364 Post by ragaman »

Funny exchange between you two. Happens only in Puppyland.

I have WNOP running flawlessly on AMD Athlon 1700XP underclocked by 10% (less heat), 512MB DDR, ATI Radeon 9250 125MB vid card.

Beautiful Puplet there Tom. Thanks.

MobileDev

#365 Post by MobileDev »

To no particular person on this thread, I would like to explain something important about CF.
This is even posted on their website (forgot where, maybe the FAQ).

GNOME, KDE, and XFCE are all desktop environments.

IceWM, Fluxbox, Enlightenment, and so on are just window managers.

In case you don't know anything about Xorg, only ONE window manager can be run at a time. Granted, Enlightenment can be hacked because it's code is in a unique position: It functions as a window manager or a desktop environment (which includes a window manager) It has certain components that can be separated and modified specifically to work with Compiz. In order to get something like IceWM, Fluxbox, etc. to work with compiz, you must first edit their source code so that they behave like, and are treated as, desktop environments or at least desktop managers. This will take a lot of work, but IceWM and Fluxbox aren't too big, so it is doable.

On a totally off topic note, it's good to be back here on the Puppy forums. I haven't had the time to peruse this particular forum because of college. Also, if anyone has gotten VisualBoyAdvance (the native version or the windows version) working in wNOP .02, please post! I would also like to get the cool fusion icon that they have in Ubuntu working in wNOP .02 Anybody got a package for that?