wNOP v0.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
cb88

#31 Post by cb88 »

wow just up loaded new compiz-fusion packages I am intrested in freewins myself...

http://hosted.filefront.com/rockinfreak/2145134
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

tombh

#32 Post by tombh »

Must say I'm a little surprised that so few problems have been reported with this release -- though of course not disappointed :) I thought I would here from more ATI users, I can only assume that the fglrx driver is working fine? That's got to be good news!

@prehistoric: A 350Mhz PII! That's amazing :) That's Puppy for you. Installing Linux on a badger. lol. I think there'd be some pretty serious compatibility issues, perhaps we should wait for the next kernel release?

@Boo: Yeah "The Priest and the Beast" was a good one, I think Spider gets a door in his head in the end too doesn't he? Then him and Rudi have a big show down at the end against the baddies. Yes 'off the wall' definitely. I'm sure the BBC website had the first 2 shows of the new series on their site, but they don't appear to be there anymore :( No I didn't see Mr. Ross crimping but I see youtube has the show in 9 parts -- I'm slowly working my way through them!
So have you got wNOP working with the fglrx driver? You will have unless you used the manual option in the C-F wizard at first boot to chose the radeon driver. It's just that when I tried it with a radeon 9700 performance was awful. Do you have any niggles? Unusually slow scrolling or anything?

cb88

#33 Post by cb88 »

heh while badgers may be hard to boot up.... roaches have been disscussed LOL... but that is ##puppylinux for ya...
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

DC

#34 Post by DC »

Hi
I don't know if this should be here or under NOP.

Can somebody tell me how / where to change desktop double mouse click to single mouse click.

thanks

DC

Many thanks for Wobbly looking forward to playing

tombh

#35 Post by tombh »

@DC: Does Menu->Settings->Settings Manager->File Manager->Behaviour help?

DC

#36 Post by DC »

@DC: Does Menu->Settings->Settings Manager->File Manager->Behaviour help?
Unfortuantly not. Next suggestion please

DC

Boo2themoon

#37 Post by Boo2themoon »

Hi Tom,
Yes I am using the fglrx driver and it works fine. Even video runs fairly smoothly when I'm dragging the cube around.
If pushed to find a niggle, it would be that maximising of windows with the "animation effect" enabled can sometimes be a bit choppy. But minimising works perfectly. Its just a bit of time lag after selecting the app.

Here are my specs to compare with your 9700 experience.

Acer T/Mate 290 Lappy
Centrino 1.5 ghz
ATI mobility 9700 64mb vram
1gig Ram
Booting from cd with a save file.

I got me some Jazz Funk (Compiz) Fusion :D

@ DC
Have a read here. There's a few post about half way down the thread.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22762

puppyluvr

testing wobbly-pup

#38 Post by puppyluvr »

:D
Hey Tom,
tested wnop 0.2 on two machines in my house.
1st...Compaq..PIII ..600mhz..160mb ram..I810 video...32mb vram
......no such luck on this dinosaur..falls back to xfce when x starts....
......read a post about a modprobe for I810 chips but haven`t tried it as i was going for "out of the box" setup...prob the low ram or vram doing it..linux newbie..still learning..more on this dino later..
2nd...Dell laptop...1.6 ghz.. centrino...512 mb ram..I 915 video...64mb vram..
...Works like a dream...animations are smooth and clear..even when "wobbling" a video!!
..cant seem to get it to drop to a cube tho...only the inside view...prob a hotkey i`ve missed...
..put the cd in my wifes laptop to test it ,..now she refuses to shut it off..wants me to install it permanently...loves it ..and she`s never used linux before...
....ok now the negative...cant install much of anything...missing LOTS of dependencies..
...wordwriter installed and works fine..Abiword and firefox did not...
...i know its a beta and i cant wait for a full fledged version...
...also would love to see compiz paired with enlightenment which i use on machine #1 and LOVE...my next machine WILL be running Wnop!!!!!...Hail Puppy!!!

... :wink: Captain, i believe this species has amused itself to death...

pakt

wNOP v0.2 on the ASUS EeePC 701

#39 Post by pakt »

Here's a screenshot of wNOP v0.2 running on the ASUS EeePC 701 :-)

No configuration needed - runs out-of-the-box as booted from a frugal install on a USB stick. Only problem was lack of 800x480 resolution - it's running at 800x600, so 'stretched' a bit horizontally.

Great demo for Puppy and the EeePC :P
Attachments
wNOP02_EeePC.jpg
(60.74 KiB) Downloaded 1681 times
Methinks Raspberry Pi were ideal for runnin' Puppy Linux

DC

#40 Post by DC »

Single click story.
Had a longer google and found some forums on xfce.
It was reported that the desktop icons are fixed on double click for now. The only way for single click was to use icons in panels.

Will keep looking / trying

DC

tombh

#41 Post by tombh »

@Boo: Pushing for niggles! That's what I like to hear :) With such little negative feedback from the fglrx driver, perhaps this release should have had the honour of a full number version. Concerning that niggle, do all the various maximise animations execute with a delay? Perhaps there are some that don't.

@puppyluvr: Yeah that dino does seem to be cutting it a bit fine, but I wouldn't couldn't call it extinct yet. If you post the wNOPdump file that appears on yer desktop after a

Code: Select all

wNOPinspect
from the terminal, I can tell you more. Yeah wobbling video's great! About programs not installing, I know I had problems with abiword, i can't remeber where I got the missing dependency from now, I think I ended up just gettting it from slackware. Do you know about slackware? Puppy 3 is compatible with slackware packages, you can download them using a neat program called gslapt, I get stuff from it all the time, it's great. I've never got firefox from it though, last firefox install I did was thanks to thuxx, firefox2.0.11+flash9, worked perfectly.
I'm not sure C-F will work with enlightenment I'm afraid :(
Glad yer liking the wobbly Puppy :)

@pakt: Out of the box on an EeePC, that's great, yeah brilliant example to set for Puppy and the EeePC, I'll put the screenshot up on me website...

Ingenioutor

#42 Post by Ingenioutor »

Greetings!

I absolutely love wNOP! But since I am anti=M$, how can I change the XFCE Taskbar's windowish look? 8)

tombh

#43 Post by tombh »

Easy Peasy -- just goto Menu->Settings->Settings Manager->User Interface and take your pick, my favourite at the moment is the KDE2 look. There are also loads of other themes available at www.xfce-looks.org
:)

Ingenioutor

#44 Post by Ingenioutor »

Thanks, mate!

Now I am thinking of another puplet based on wNOP. So its going to be baby pupplete :D

More info late :P

PUPPY POWER! 8)

puppyluvr

dumps

#45 Post by puppyluvr »

hello again tombh, :D
firstly, here are the dumps from our comps. The one labeled Dinodump is (obviously) from the dinosaur, the other from my wifes lap top (a complete success so i didnt know if it would be usefull to you or not, so..)).... as for installing programs i put p.s.i. on it and works great (after a long hunt for "gtklist04mu").
now the question????..Where did you get the opera you put on wobbly?? finally an opera that works...WELL!!!..Flash, Speed Dial, everything works! (never could get speed dial to work on any of my puppy`s., and Flash in opera was iffy at best)..
I think wNOP will be great to "convert" `dozer`s to linux, eye candy never hurts! The out of the bos M$ look helps a lot too..
GREAT PUPPY !!!...Thanx.. :D

:wink:"You cant expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you"......MPFS

klu9

Re: dumps

#46 Post by klu9 »

puppyluvr wrote:hello again tombh, :D
Where did you get the opera you put on wobbly?? finally an opera that works...WELL!!!..Flash, Speed Dial, everything works! (never could get speed dial to work on any of my puppy`s., and Flash in opera was iffy at best)...
I think you have Gray to thank for that; he creates NOP with Opera included; tombh takes NOP and does the work to get Compiz-Fusion working in it, creating Wobbly NOP.

PS it's great having a working Opera, ain't it? :D :D :D

prehistoric

working Opera

#47 Post by prehistoric »

PS it's great having a working Opera, ain't it?
I'm running Opera on wNOP right now. (Though I upgraded to 9.25 using ttuuxxx's pet. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 86&t=24773)

Second the motion.
All in favor?
Passed by unanimous acclamation!

puppyluvr

screenshot

#48 Post by puppyluvr »

hi again :D
yes i forgot about nop and having never used it i didnt know if opera was in it or not...so good job gray :D
thxx for linking me too ttuuxxx`s Opera pet, now the opera on my 215 (buddapup) works great too... :D
wife is luvin her wobbly-pup...but...every save attempt leads to x crashing..even after running xorgwizard...something wrong in pupsave i guess...will see how a h.d. install goes or maybe go multisession like mine idk :?
anyhow here`s a screenshot.right out of the box (obviously!!lol)
luvin the wobblypup tombh..
Attachments
demo.jpg
stick in the cd and this is what comes out...COOL!!!!
(39.59 KiB) Downloaded 1031 times

tombh

#49 Post by tombh »

Yeah, Opera is thanks to Gray, I much prefer it to Seamonkey AND he's made it with Flash already installed! Brilliant :)

@puppyluvr: You forgot to attach those dumps! So about your wife's computer with X crashing -- does the crash happen when you're booting after a previous session has been saved? Or does the crash happen at the actual point of saving? A dump from the point of crash may be useful too, though it might be a little tricky to access the wNOPdump.tar.gz file, I think the easiest way to do it would be to boot in such a way as to cause the crash, type wNOPinspect on the command line then run xorgwizard (just type xorgwizard) and boot into Xvesa. What I'd be interested in is the contents of /tmp/xerrs.log if you want to have a look yourself.

"That rug really tied the room together." The Dude in The Big Lebowski

puppyluvr

#50 Post by puppyluvr »

well tom...i will have to rerun for the dump files..i could have sworn i`d attached them :roll: and now... well, i lost `em :oops: ...will post soon.
as for the laptop..i tried a few tests myself..live cd..ALWAYS works..live cd rebooting after a pupsave...death :evil: black nonresponsive death..directly after running xorgwizard...death...booting nox ..then xorgwizard...death...ctrl-alt-backspace..nothing..random keypunching and curses..still nothing...even while booted pfix = ram if i ctrl-alt-backspace out of x...death..no prompt...nada...@#$%
sooooo.. full install...fresh after boot..do not save session..reboots up great..do not save session..reboots up great..save session..reboot..gets to x startup..death..
so i tried other puppys on it, and couldnt get xorg to function at all on them..and xvesa only 800x600 at best so the issue is related to her laptop i`m sure..however..compiz and beryl, xorg and all function great in knoppix, pc linux ,ect..(but who wants them...lol...)..she wants wNOP...i`m just not sure her Dell does!! so next time i will post the dump files..and i will try to get a "crash" dump too..(if i ever get a prompt after a crash), and xerrs.log..and anything else that looks usefull...
...even w/o saving..and losing all her settings and pups..ect..umpteen times..she would rather re-do it over (and over) than "give up my puppy" ...GREAT PUPPY :D :D