HOWTO install KDE v3.5.10 from Slackware v12.2 on Pup v4.1.2

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
maddog

HOWTO install KDE v3.5.10 from Slackware v12.2 on Pup v4.1.2

#1 Post by maddog »

Thanks goes to Mark for agreeing to host "missingKDE3510libs.pet".

HOWTO install KDE v3.5.10 on Puppy Linux

First a warning! This could cause problems with your Puppy Linux installation. I found that the KDE menus were a complete mess after installing and I didn't check all applications either. Also, I installed on a full HD install of Puppy v4.1.2. YMMV! Beware!

1) Install qt-3.3 or greater via Petget or by converting the Slackware v12.2 qt-3.3.8b-i486-2.tgz package with tgz2pet.
2) Acquire the Slackware v12.2 KDE.
3) Use "tgz2pet <KDE filename here>" to convert the Slackpacks to PETs.
4) Determine how much of KDE you wish to install as per section “4.5 Description of base packages
Last edited by maddog on Tue 06 Jan 2009, 01:12, edited 3 times in total.

maddog

Trying to attach the missing files.

#2 Post by maddog »

Trying to attach the missing files.
Attachments
KDE full menu config.pet
A complete KDE menu.
(3.68 KiB) Downloaded 714 times

maddog

Missing libraries

#3 Post by maddog »

Trying to attach the missing libraries .pet.

FAILED! The board returned, "No post mode specified". I guess I need someone to host the file. If anyone would like missingKDE3510libs.pet before I find somewhere to put it on the 'net, PM me and I will email it to you. It's an 8.8mb file.

--Ray.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Maddog, have you seen this thread about hosts for large files?

maddog

#5 Post by maddog »

Flash wrote:Maddog, have you seen this thread about hosts for large files?
No I hadn't. I will investigate. Thanks! :)
--Ray.

maddog

Temporary Alternate Download link

#6 Post by maddog »

Well, the first person I contacted hasn't replied as of yet so I uploaded the missing libs to rapidshare. We have ten downloads (and a little bit of time).

http://rapidshare.com/files/179700099/m ... s.pet.html

Enjoy!
--Ray.

ttuuxxx

#7 Post by ttuuxxx »

Use ubuntu gutsy for the kde repo, not slackware, Slackware has a different glibc and you'll have errors, gutsy is the closer match.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

maddog

#8 Post by maddog »

ttuuxxx wrote:Use ubuntu gutsy for the kde repo, not slackware, Slackware has a different glibc and you'll have errors, gutsy is the closer match.
ttuuxxx
I don't think that's necessary. I didn't have any errors. Tgz2pet worked just fine to convert the slackpacks to dotpets. No problems so far and have been using a full KDE install from the converted packages for over a week.

--Ray.

MUguest

#9 Post by MUguest »

I can host the files tomorrow.
Did not read yet my PMs as "MU", I just logged in as guest now to post some work I did while I was offline.

I also created a new tool "desktopchooser".
It allows to run KDE, then if you logout, you can reboot with my new logoutscreen.

See:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 003#263003

More in the next days.
Mark

Kal

#10 Post by Kal »

Hi maddog

I think the only major requirement that wasn't mentioned in your how to, is the qt libraries (qt-3.3.8b-i486-2) from Slackware. I know it was an oversight or maybe I missed it with my old eyes.

Good Luck, Kal

Running Puppy 4.1.2 with KDE 3.5.10.

PS: I have not run into any problem with glibc, and I have been running Puppy with Slackware's KDE 3.5.10 since the day it came out on a full hard drive install.

maddog

#11 Post by maddog »

Kal wrote:Hi maddog

I think the only major requirement that wasn't mentioned in your how to, is the qt libraries (qt-3.3.8b-i486-2) from Slackware. I know it was an oversight or maybe I missed it with my old eyes.
Good catch Kal! I forgot about it as I had installed it from petget. I'll update the howto after work tonight.

--Ray.

MU

#12 Post by MU »

[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

Artie

#13 Post by Artie »

1. Could you specify exactly how to download, install and switch to KDE? Step-by-step instructions for 4.1.2?

2. Does the little KDE applet that switches between keyboards by clicking on it work or is this a separate install?

3. Which programs work and exactly how and from where do you download new programs? Will every KDE program work?

Thanks for any answer.

Artie

maddog

#14 Post by maddog »

Artie wrote:1. Could you specify exactly how to download, install and switch to KDE? Step-by-step instructions for 4.1.2?
The slackware v12.2 KDE can be downloaded from one of the mirror sites linked at http://www.slackware.com. The instructions for converting and installing are in the first post of this thread.
Artie wrote:2. Does the little KDE applet that switches between keyboards by clicking on it work or is this a separate install?

3. Which programs work and exactly how and from where do you download new programs? Will every KDE program work?
Sorry, I don't know which applet you are referring too and I haven't tried every KDE application but OTOH, I haven't had anything fail either.

--Ray.

maddog

#15 Post by maddog »

I have found quick and dirty way to shutdown (no reboot or exit to prompt yet) from KDE. Simply add .....

sync
exec /sbin/poweroff

to the "echo 'Exited from X..." section of /usr/X11R7/bin/xwin so it would read as.....

echo 'Exited from X. Type "xwin [fvwm95|jwm]" to restart X ([ ] mean optional).'
echo '(To shutdown PC type "poweroff", to reboot PC type "reboot")'
if [ -f /usr/X11R7/bin/Xfbdev ];then
echo '(To run the Xfbdev Framebuffer Wizard, type "framebufferwizard")'
fi
sync
exec /sbin/poweroff
if [ "$HAVEX" = "XF86_SVGA" ];then #v1.0.7
echo -en "\\033[1;31m" #34=blue, 33=yellow, 32=green, 31=red, 35=purple, 36=aq$
echo 'If X failed to start, type "xf86config" to setup X'

Not a good way to do things but it is effective.

--Ray.

Kal

Menu

#16 Post by Kal »

Here is what, I am using for a logout menu (from Mu), give it a try. You'll need to undo any modifications you have done.

1. Just download, untar with "rox-filer" by left click on it and with the popup menu, just say, "yes".

2. On the uncompressed file, right click on it for a menu and check that the Permissions are executable or make them so.

3. Now open another rox-filer window and go to /usr/bin, find the file startkde and right click on it for a menu, then Rename "startkde" file to "startkde2" (no quotes).

4. In the original rox-filer window just drag and drop the replacement into the /usr/bin, and copy. Restart KDE with a three finger salute (Ctlr+Alt+Backspace) and at the command line type, xwin startkde. You should after this, get a logout menu when you logout from the main menu and after the confirm message.

I normally do away with the confirm in the sessions manager, if all has gone well.

Kal
Attachments
startkde.gz
(411 Bytes) Downloaded 281 times