HowTo Install VMware Player (vmplayer)

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
vezuve

#16 Post by vezuve »

Hello,
For each installation, I use a blank, so without prior installation.
I will make a new facility with the file "tar.gz" following your instructions.

Pour chaque installation, j'utilise un système vierge, donc sans installation antérieur.
Je vais faire une nouvelle installation avec le fichier "tar.gz" en suivant tes indications.

@+

vezuve

#17 Post by vezuve »

Hello,
I board taken again my installation according to your explanation and my attempt or I mentioned you on the image joint, that the order was not valid. As you can note it, it to miss one “. /

jcoder24

#18 Post by jcoder24 »

vezuve wrote:Use of uninitialized value in numeric It (<) at ./vmware-install.pl line 174. Use of uninitialized value in numeric It (<) at ./vmware-install.pl line 174.
This indicates that you have booted puppy with "pfix=ram" which explains the following message
vezuve wrote:Setup is unable to find the "make" program on your machine. Please make sure it is installed.
When you boot with pfix=ram none of the sfs modules are loaded. That means that neither the required development tools or kernel source would be available.

The simplest option would be to create a new save file after booting with pfix=ram, then reboot and rerun the installer.

vezuve

#19 Post by vezuve »

Hello,

I do not believe to be in RAM, since I have a "FULL".
If I must put myself in RAM, I see nothing at the start that I propose.

Je ne crois pas être en RAM, puisque j'ais une installation "FULL".
Si je doit me mettre en RAM, je ne vois rien au démarrage qui me le propose.

@+

darkwolfalone

Same error, but I have a full install

#20 Post by darkwolfalone »

jcoder, thanks so much for this howto. I am already a recent fulltime Puppy Convert, and people like you are what make it viable alternative to other OSes for newbies like me.

Now that I am done sucking up, I received the same "make" error:
Trying to find a suitable vmmon module for your running kernel.

None of the pre-built vmmon modules for VMware Player is suitable for your
running kernel. Do you want this program to try to build the vmmon module for
your system (you need to have a C compiler installed on your system)? [yes]

Setup is unable to find the "make" program on your machine. Please make sure
it is installed. Do you want to specify the location of this program by hand?
[yes]
However, I have a full HD install, as I think vezuve indicated. So in noob terms, what do I have to do to complete the install properly and load the VMware Player?

I realize I might be repeating vezuve's question, but I don't read babelfish translation very well and wanted to be sure :).

jcoder24

#21 Post by jcoder24 »

vezuve wrote:Hello,
For each installation, I use a blank, so without prior installation.
I will make a new facility with the file "tar.gz" following your instructions.
Your statement above (and your previous post) gave me the impression that you were using pfix=ram.

The instructions for installing the required sfs files can be found in the first post. However, I'll repeat it here, SFS Expansion Packs. The info for full installs is at the bottom of the page.

vezuve

#22 Post by vezuve »

Hello,

I will try to translate and understand what is being said here.
Make a "FRUGAL" and with everything that was said a new installation of VMware-player.

Je vais essayer de traduire et comprendre ce qui est dit avec ce lien.
Faire une installation "FRUGAL" et avec tout ce qui a été dit faire une nouvelle installation de VMware-player.

@+

jcoder24

#23 Post by jcoder24 »

I saying that you are missing the devx_301.sfs and kernel-src_301.sfs. These MUST be "installed".

For instructions on how to install them see the previous post. After you have installed them run vmware-config.pl.

A Frugal install is not necessary.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#24 Post by Béèm »

In my humble opinion, this forum is to announce howto's and solutions and not to go into deep problem analysis.
There are other forums for this.
Just my 2 cents.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

vezuve

#25 Post by vezuve »

Hello,
In view of the various problems that are not all related to my first steps, I must still perform tests by elements and then collect all of this to try a new facility.

Au vu des différents problème qui ne sont pas tous liés a mes premiers pas, je dois effectuer encore des tests par éléments et ensuite rassembler tout ceci pour essayer une nouvelle installations.

@+

vezuve

#26 Post by vezuve »

Hello,
For VMware-player 2.0.3 one should not use this procedure.
Afterwards many research of references of links and many on-line translation I finally think of having succeeded in making function VMPLAYER 2.0.3 with the Toutou linux 03.01.1. But I must now compile all my research and make a new new installation in order to check my procedure well and be able to provide you all the details of the installation from here a few days.

Hello,
Pour VMware-player 2.0.3 il ne faut pas utiliser cette procédure.
Après bien des recherches de renvois de lien et de nombreuse traduction on-line je pense enfin avoir réussis à faire fonctionner VMPLAYER 2.0.3 avec le Toutou linux 03.01.1.
Mais je dois maintenant compiler toute mes recherches et faire une nouvelle installation neuve afin de bien vérifier ma procédure et pouvoir vous fournir tous les détails de l'installation d'ici quelques jours.

@+

vezuve

#27 Post by vezuve »

Hello,

I create a new post, or you can find out how to install VMware Player 2.0.3 linux on everyone 03.01.1

@+

rrolsbe

VMPlayer VM RAM allocation problem

#28 Post by rrolsbe »

Thanks for the great procedure! This is kind of a howto related question.

My laptop has 1.5GB of physical RAM:
Puppy is the host OS for VMPlayer:
WinXP is the guest OS:

The WinXP guest VM runs great inside VMPlayer hosted by Puppy 3.01; however, when I try to increase the VM memory to something larger than 256MB (IE 512MB or 1GB) the Puppy CPU utilization hits 100% and the machine basically hangs. Anyone else had a similar experience? Any ideas on what might be going on here. I would not think Puppy would normally use much more than 512MB.

Thanks Much In Advance for any Ideas
Regards
Ron

DanYHKim

VMware Player 2 in Puppy 4 (Dingo) Host

#29 Post by DanYHKim »

[Acknowledgement]
I would first like to thank jcoder24 for the invaluable vminstall file. So many attempts at installing VMware Player 2 for Linux seem to stall at the final configuration, and jcoder24's contribution makes it all work right.
[End Acknowledgement]

[Description]
1. Host is Puppy Linux 4 (Dingo)
2. Platform is Dell Latitude C600 notebook, 256 Mb RAM, 2 Gb SD Flash card in a SD-IDE adapter for the hard drive
[End Description]

[Overview]
1. Installed Puppy Linux 4 (Dingo) from LiveCD to the 2Gb SD drive as IDE hard drive as Full Install.
2. Copy the Linux-2.6.21.7 source files from the archive:
linux-2.6.21.7-patched_loglevel_dpath_ksize_unionfs_squashfs3.3.tar.gz
3. Install the Puppy Development Pack (devx_400.sfs)
4. Install VMware Player 2 using vminstall.sh, as described in this thread
5. Run VMware Player, and load a DamnSmallLinux virtual machine.
[End Overview]

1. Full Installation to IDE drive was without incident. Create and format a bootable partition using GParted. Install with the Puppy Universal Installer. Use GRUB bootloader written to Master Boot Record.

2. Copying Linux source using command-line gave me confusion, so I finally just let XArchive open the archive for me. I created directory /usr/src, then had XArchive extract the archive to /usr/src, giving me /usr/src/linux-2.6.21.7/include as the location of the header files

3. Development pack installed without incident. Downloaded DEVX_400.sfs, and mounted by clicking once on the file. Opened a terminal window within that lcoation, then copied its files to the hard drive using the command

cp -a --remove-destination ./* /

This diverges from the command given in some examples, where the destination is designated by "/dev/hda2". Being ignorant, I used this designation without success, until I realized that I was trying to install the files to the location of my Linux installation, and I had no "hda2". Installation worked for me when the destination was designated "/".

Restart the computer at this point.

4. Downloaded and extracted "vminstall.tar.gz", and put "vminstall.sh" in the same folder as the VMware Player installation archive, as described in this thread.

Opened a terminal window, then navigated to the location of the files. Installed VMware Player from the archive file using command:
./vminstall.sh VMware-player-2.0.5-109488.i386.tar.gz

I waited a looooonnngg time for this to run, and I am not sure why. Suddenly, I was being prompted for directory paths, etc., which I responded by accepting all default values (mostly).

When asked for location of kernel headers, gave the location where I had them installed: /usr/src/linux-2.6.21.7/include

There were some alarming messages about not having defined variables, or some such, but I ignored them.

When asked if I wanted to create an archive (a .pet? what?), I declined.
Prompted to start VMware Player with command: /usr/bin/vmplayer

Got an application window and license agreement. After accepting the license agreement, I now have VMware Player. I was able to load and run DamnSmallLinux in a VM whose files were located on a USB Flash drive that I had mounted. Worked slowly to start, but not bad for this platform.

I can hardly wait to try it out on a faster PC with more resources. I may see if I can find a "fat-free" Puppy to use as the host. Thank you all for the information, without which this would have been futile. I learned a lot, and I am very grateful.

kurtkiller

#30 Post by kurtkiller »

I can't run vmware-config.pl
It keeps getting me this weird error:

Making sure services for VMware Player are stopped.

Stopping VMware services:
Virtual machine monitor done
Unable to stop services for VMware Player

Execution aborted.

I installed vmware player 2.05 tar on a puppy dingo frugal.

What should I do?

DanYHKim

The Dreaded "Unable to Stop Services"

#31 Post by DanYHKim »

I had the same problem, and never found a simple solution. The only install of VMware Player that worked for me is the one I described in this thread, using the patch by jcoder24.

Are you doing it that way?

I don't understand enough myself to be able to figure it out on my own, but the vminstall.sh seems to work out, so I'm not worried too much.

jcoder24

Re: VMPlayer VM RAM allocation problem

#32 Post by jcoder24 »

rrolsbe wrote:when I try to increase the VM memory to something larger than 256MB (IE 512MB or 1GB) the Puppy CPU utilization hits 100% and the machine basically hangs.
Most likely that is casing puppy to start swapping. Make sure that you have enough ram and/or that puppy is seeing it all. You can use the 'free' command to check on memory usage.
kurtkiller wrote:Stopping VMware services:
Virtual machine monitor done
Unable to stop services for VMware Player

Execution aborted.
I thought I had answered this somewhere on the forum before but can't seem to find it. It's been so long that I can't remember what the fix was but you can try the following before running vmware-config.pl or the vminstall script.

/etc/init.d/vmware stop
[ `ps | grep -ic vmnet` -gt 0 ] && kill -9 `ps | grep -i vmnet | gawk '{ print $1 }'`
rmmod vmnet
rmmod vmmon
rmmod vmblock
Last edited by jcoder24 on Fri 24 Oct 2008, 16:35, edited 1 time in total.

kszp

VMWARE /tmp problem

#33 Post by kszp »

Hi,

I'm new in the linux area but finally I've managed to install vmplayer in my Puppy 3.01. :) I've set up 2 virtual machines with 256M RAM and 500 M disk. On both I have puppy. When I start one of the virtual machine that begins to use my /tmp folder which is mounted as a ramdisk with 351M. Unfortunatelly vmplayer consumed 260M from that and gives a warning that it's running out of space. When I start my second machine all things crash (of course) because of lack of space in /tmp. I have more than 1GB memory in my laptop.

Question: How can I increase the size of /tmp or how can I redirect vmplayer to use another folder for temporary files ?

Has anyone experience in that ?

DanYHKim

VMware Player 2.05 on Puppy 4.1.2

#34 Post by DanYHKim »

Dunno if people would want this but:

Downloaded Puppy 4.1.2 LiveCD .iso
puppy-4.1.2-k2.6.25.16-seamonkey.iso

Created VMware virtual machine to run from this .iso under VMware Player for Windows (XP Pro SP3) with a 4.7 Gb .vmdk virtual hard drive.

Set up the VM to merge DEVX_410.sfs and the kernel source files for 2.6.25.15

Used the "vminstall.sh" to patch the VMware Player 2.05 installer files

Installed VMware Player 2.05 on the virtual machine.

Reboot and confirm that VMware Player appears in the menu and runs (won't load a virtual machine, since it's running in a VM already).

--Prepare .SFS file --

Reboot the virtual machine with "pfix=ram" parameter
Open the pup_save.2fs archive, and clean out some irrelevant stuff, but mostly keep the /usr directory

Use
makesquashfs /mnt/+mnt/someotherpathstuff/ /mnt/home/vmplayer205.sfs

The .sfs is successfully created!

---
Testing

Copy vmplayer205.sfs to a puppy 4.1.2-bootable USB drive
Boot my Latitude D820 to Puppy, and set bootmanager to add the vmplayer205.sfs

NOTE: This instance of Puppy 4.1.2 does not have any other tools installed. It is just a frugal install from the LiveCD

Reboot

VMware Player appears in the menu, loads, and will load and run a Windows 2000 virtual machine that lives on my hard drive.

(NOTE: I will address a problem with NTFS drives containing guest VMs in the next post here)

=======
If anyone is interested, I can upload my .sfs somewhere.
uh. . . I don't know where such files are supposed to be sent for access by this forum. Any help?

DanYHKim

Problem with a Virtual Machine living on a NTFS drive

#35 Post by DanYHKim »

After running VMware Player 2.05 in Puppy 4.1.2, I tried to run a Windows 2000 virtual machine that is on the hard drive of my laptop. I got an annoying message:

VMware Player unrecoverable error:(vcpu-0)
Failed to allocate page for guest RAM!

After some searching, I learned that this is a problem when the guest VM is on an NTFS drive. It is solved by adding a line to your .vmx file:

mainmem.UseNamedFile = "FALSE"

Don't know what this is about, but it works, so I am happy.