Dingo Alpha 4 (full) release Jan 5

Please post any bugs you have found
Lobster
Official Crustacean

Dingo Alpha 4 (full) release Jan 5

#1 Post by Lobster »

Xorg now working on my laptop (no idea what graphic chip is yet) and desktop (nvidia) out of the box - makes it workable . . .
:D

Been playing with look and feel . . .
when trying to turn thumbnails on in Rox got:

Finally, just a reminder for testers to clear any old Dingo files
and run puppy pfix=ram when booting this new Alpha 4 test
Last edited by Lobster on Sat 05 Jan 2008, 06:58, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Billcnz

#2 Post by Billcnz »

Seamonkey is ok from desktop and menu for me.

Love the xine-plugin in Seamonkey, streaming video running smoother on a low spec system than it did with gxine.

I finally got around to trying a frugal install and I'm an instant convert, just grabbbed the files out of the iso instead of burning a cd.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

Billcnz wrote:Seamonkey is ok from desktop and menu for me.
:oops: Idiot cructacean - It does work indeed - I had Rox open on a dialogue box
when this was closed it was OK - amended first post
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Sage

#4 Post by Sage »

At last a release that I can use on my many systems - well almost (cf BK blog). Unable to see any internal IDE drives with cfdisk, GPartEd or PMount.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

Lobster, turning on thumbnails should not be a problem.
Did you right-click the 'eye' icon to turn on thumbnails?
What kind of files were in the directory?
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Firefox

Latest Dingo

#6 Post by Firefox »

Downloaded, burnt to cd latest Dingo.
Booted from cd onto freshly formated hd with swap.
Noticed the formatted partition did not seem to contain a lot of data (yellow bar) in Gparted.
When choosing ide/sata internal drive, one of its boxes did NOT appear, the choice of (Full or Frugal install).
On clicking ok to install from cd the drive did nothing.
For the THIRD time unable to install Dingo to Full hd and now not even Frugal.
Isn`t this EVER checked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sage

#7 Post by Sage »

Yes, it's infuriating and so elementary - reported it earlier this morning on BK's blog.

# cat /proc/partitions yields:
major 7, minor 0, #blocks 64848, name loop0
which is pure nonsense to me, but presumable not the cognoscenti.

Incredible that a formerly universally acceptable distro like Puppy should have been cast back into the Stone Age by, inter alia, the 2.6.23 kernel change in drive nomenclature. None of the other distros seem to have suffered this catastrophe - I've tried most, I know, I'm a distro junkie! Generally, the transition to sd/sr has been smooth and transparent.
Now to try a scsi drive.................................

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#8 Post by Lobster »

BarryK wrote:Lobster, turning on thumbnails should not be a problem.
I right clicked and selected options (isn't there something in ROX
that means you can only change these options in a directory . . .
not the desktop?)

:oops: The thumbnails are on (just checked)

Should not report bugs ever - too stupid
Mistake due to a lack of fish sauce and brain power

Also I was probably trying to open a directory full of videos
in the puppy-reference section

Undeterred I am trying to write a replacement
for the wget gui util created in tcl (no longer in Dingo)
as I use this a lot. :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

MU

#9 Post by MU »

Sage, were that other distros also Alpha-releases? ;)

Mark

Sage

#10 Post by Sage »

For the record:
"not yet implemented"
begging the question
"then why bother to relabel it?!"
more importantly
"why use such a pejorative term as 'ancient'?"
especially as I went to the trouble of explaining that it is just so misguided.
Perhaps if scsi had never been omitted this hiatus would never have occurred? Evidence from other distros suggests so. scsi IS Linux - like it or not.

Greatnessguru

Now works on HP Vectra VE

#11 Post by Greatnessguru »

HP Vectra VE, 64 MB: works. Typing this post from same.

SeaMonkey:
"Warning! You're using an old stable version of SeaMonkey (1.1.6), while we offer a newer version which contains important security fixes. ...
Download Now
SeaMonkey 1.1.7
* Windows, English (13 MB)
* Linux GTK2, English (14 MB)
* Mac OS X, English (23 MB)
* Other Systems & Languages"

Thanks, Barry,
Eddie Maddox

JustGreg

#12 Post by JustGreg »

I have been using a script posted by Tempestuous in the forum to connect to my home wifi network using WPA2 protocol. The script uses wpa_supplicant to allow my Linksys WUSB54GC to connect using the RT73 driver. It was great to see the Dingo Alpha 4 (full) containing the driver. However, the script and network wizard did not make a connection. With the script, I got the error statement of wpa_supplicant not supporting RALINK. I checked the version of wpa_supplicant and found it to be 0.6.0. I took the wpa_supplicant from puppy v3.01 and place a copy in /root/my-applications/bin and change the script to use the older wpa_supplicant (v0.5.8). The script worked and the connection was made to WPA2 . The wpa_supplicant (v0.6.0) may need to be re-done with RALINK support turned on. Other than this problem, Dingo Alpha 4 works fine.

All, please remember this is an alpha release and there will be problems. This release is for testing and we are helping to find and solve the problems.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

Sage

#13 Post by Sage »

MU: some were, some were beta - I try to look at allcomers. But the point is that some of us have been reporting glitches over many releases, often concerning bog standard clone kit which is neither old nor bleeding edge. Dingo has been a nightmare from the start - one step forward, an hundred back! It is understandable if there are issues with new HW, but not with stuff that has worked since v0.1. Most folks just go elsewhere rather than raising serious issues for fear of offending other folk. All the Aussies I know are pretty plain speaking guys.....

dvw86

#14 Post by dvw86 »

Using Dingo on the eeepc I noticed a few issues. The eeepc has no CD drive and Puppy 301 boots from a USB CD drive just fine on the eee. Dingo however will not locate the pup_394.sfs file from the USB CD drive. I then booted Dingo on another computer and tried to installed it to a USB flash drive but the universal installer crashes. It usually crashes when it goes to copy the files from CD or directory. Finally I used Puppy 214r to copy the Dingo files to the eeepc internal drive hdc1 and used Grub to boot it. This worked fine but there is an issue when saving the pup_save file to USB or the internal SD card reader. The file will save but it will not be found at the next boot. The last issue is that there are no drivers for the wireless or LAN cards. The automatic detection of the screen resolution works well though.

JustGreg

#15 Post by JustGreg »

I encounter the same problem, file pup_394.sfs not found, on my Eee PC.
I have not modified the solid state disk yet for puppy. I have been booting from either a USB device or SD card. Both Puppy 3.01 and 2.14R 1.01 work fine. I tried the SD card with Dingo alpha4 on another machine with a built-in card reader and it work normally. Do not know what is the cause. Also, I put the card in a USB reader/writer device and attached it to the Eee PC. The same results occurred, file pup_394.sfs not found.
Enjoy life, Just Greg

JustGreg

#16 Post by JustGreg »

I tried to do a frugal installation to a hard disk ext2 partition with the Universal installer. It failed after I selected the CDROM as the source of needed puppy files. I confirmed it failed two more times. This makes me crazy in the Einstein sense. Repeat the same process and expecting different results :D

I did a manual frugal installation since Grub was setup already on the hard disk. I created the directory pup394 and then copied vmlinuz, pup394.sfs, initrd.gz and zdrv394.sfs. Boot the partition and puppy digno alpha4 full came up. However, at shutdown, the save to partition option was not available. If one has a 20 gigabyte ext 2 partition, one would like to use the entire partition and not be limited to maximum size of pup_save.2fs.
Enjoy life, Just Greg

John Doe

#17 Post by John Doe »

the link to the iso is broken for me.

anyone else have this trouble?

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 080104.iso

BarryK
Puppy Master

#18 Post by BarryK »

JustGreg wrote:I tried to do a frugal installation to a hard disk ext2 partition with the Universal installer. It failed after I selected the CDROM as the source of needed puppy files. I confirmed it failed two more times. This makes me crazy in the Einstein sense. Repeat the same process and expecting different results :D

I did a manual frugal installation since Grub was setup already on the hard disk. I created the directory pup394 and then copied vmlinuz, pup394.sfs, initrd.gz and zdrv394.sfs. Boot the partition and puppy digno alpha4 full came up. However, at shutdown, the save to partition option was not available. If one has a 20 gigabyte ext 2 partition, one would like to use the entire partition and not be limited to maximum size of pup_save.2fs.
I have not yet fixed the frugal install problems that were reported in earlier alphas. I document fixes on my blog as they get done, so when I fix this I'll announce it, then the next release will have the fix.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

John Doe

#19 Post by John Doe »

John Doe wrote:the link to the iso is broken for me.

anyone else have this trouble?

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 080104.iso
I'm getting this as a reply to the 'get':

Code: Select all

2008-01-06 17:14:13.015 HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently
never seen that before.

kirk

#20 Post by kirk »

John, that link works for me. It does seem to redirect to a FTP site though.

Barry,

Dingo Alpha4 is looking very nice. Kind of like Xine-ui. I had Alpha 3 running for over a week straight, built T2 a few times with it. Seems quite stable. The orange is hard to look at though.