List of winmodems that work (Puppy 2.17+)

nubc

List of winmodems that work (Puppy 2.17+)

#1 Post by nubc »

I am starting this thread to list winmodems that work for Puppy 2.17 and above (when enhanced dialup support/modem detection became featured). I want this list to contain only 56K internal PCI/ISA modems that just work, with no problems whatsoever. This thread should not be used to post problems or talk about issues, only to list internal winmodems that work flawlessly, out of the box. I begin the list with Intel 536EP, detected by Puppy 2.17.1 as "536ep". Dials up the internet using PupDial, with no dropout, and maximum speed that can be expected from a dialup connection.

Intel 536EP v92 56k winmodem

If you know a model of winmodem that works well with Puppy 2.17 and above, please add to this thread.
Last edited by nubc on Sun 06 Jan 2008, 04:21, edited 2 times in total.

nubc

#2 Post by nubc »

I am writing this reply using a dialup connection by PupDial on a Digital Systems DS560-548L modem (Lucent HV90P-T chip). Puppy detects the modem as "ttyLT0". No problema.

PeterH

Winmodems that work in Puppy

#3 Post by PeterH »

Magnificent Puppy 2.16 gave me my first Linux Dialup to British Telecom - on the first attempt. Puppy does not, it seems, automatically set it to the CCITT telecom standard, but I have an easy way to do this. Any interest ?

bignono1

#4 Post by bignono1 »

The Creative v90 di5663 works like charm with Puppy 4.2.

mcewanw

Re: Winmodems that work in Puppy

#5 Post by mcewanw »

PeterH wrote:Puppy does not, it seems, automatically set it to the CCITT telecom standard, but I have an easy way to do this. Any interest ?
But of course! Sharing information is what the open source community is supposed to be all about - without that, you wouldn't have your Puppy Linux at all. Perhaps it is best to start a separate thread for the method you wish to describe (or add to an existing thread about similar matters if you come across one in a search) since nubc has started this thread purely to list working win modems.
github mcewanw

BarryK
Puppy Master

#6 Post by BarryK »

In the pup 2.x series, note that I build the experimental 218 with lots of extra modem drivers, including the HSF drivers.
See:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=43432
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#7 Post by BarryK »

The latest experimental continuation of the Puppy4 series, given version number "415" is announced here:

http://puppylinux.com/blog/?viewDetailed=00838

It has heaps of modem drivers, including Intel 536, 537 and Conexant HSF. Uses 2.6.25.16 kernel, same as 4.1.2.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#8 Post by BarryK »

Testing a preliminary build of "416", another experimental build in the Puppy4 series, the PCTEL modem in my Compaq Presario works.

This modem has vendor:chip numbers 134d:7897. (see System -> PupScan in the menu to find these numbers for your hardware).

Puppy detected it automatically. Clicking the 'connect' icon on the desktop and choosing PupDial, it just worked.

In fact, I'm using it right now as I type this.

sindi

PCTEL modem sometimes works

#9 Post by sindi »

Puppy 4.2.1 installed to hard drive (full) worked with one PCTEL modem but would only establish a connection on the second dial (which it seems to do automatically). A second PCTEL modem in this computer (DELL R400) appears to be broken.
Took the computer to another county, rural area, plugged in the phone line, tried to dial, and puppy crashed (froze up, had to turn it off).
Put Puppy 4.3 on a 566MHz Compaq with another PCTEL modem, Puppy also crashed. Powered off and on, rebooted Puppy, unplugged phone line, tried to dial and was told no dial tone. No crash.
A lucent modem in a laptop worked with 4.3 on the same phoneline.
The hardware is in the other county so I don't have more details.
Same other county, tulip-based network card was recognized, I could ping the modem, but it would not connect with any website. Another computer plugged into the same router with the same cable (Ubuntu) connected. Tried both onboard and added network card.
dhcp appears to have worked - ifconfig lists an IP number in the same range as the router. Tried to edit /etc/resolv.conf but got 'too many levels of symbolic links'. /etc/resolv.conf points to /etc/ppp/resolv.conf points to ../resolv.conf. How to manually add a nameserver? Tried using one from an ISP and deleting both resolv.conf links and making /etc/resolv.conf - no help.

FrankA

VIA softmodem 1106:3068 also works

#10 Post by FrankA »

great !

Conexant HSFi Softmodem (Winmodem / Linmodem) PCI card works
excellent out of the box with puppy 4.3.

wvdial works on first trial. I still try to figure out the real connect speed.
scanmodem from www.linmodem.org finds the softmodem, but the script hangs somehow after that (I had that pretty often with intel modem too).

I wonder about FAX functionality ...

thing is though, modem works on CDROM boot.
once installed to USB stick it wont be autodetected any way with 4.3.

same issue with my laptop featuring Conexant softmodem on HDA bus of ALC-soundchip. I also cannot get to work a PCI card modem of type 8086:1080 which is intel 537 modem

------------

VIA softmodem 1106:3068 also works excellent with puppy 4.0
connect 53000 and more very stable on /dev/ttySL0

on puppy 4.1.3 you must however blacklist those HSF modem modules
which otherwise stop the 1106:3068 from working.