Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 22 Aug 2014, 08:07
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Dual-monitor support?
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]  
fredbird67

PostPosted: Mon 17 Dec 2007, 13:13    Post subject:  Dual-monitor support?
Subject description: Does ChurchPup support dual monitors?

First of all, if this has already been discussed, I apologize. But there's one thing I would like to know about ChurchPup: Does anyone know if this supports dual monitors? The reason I ask is, our former church, which shall remain nameless, didn't have a very big budget at all (in fact, sadly to say, that church was, and as far as I know, is still deeply in debt), but for their praise and worship lyrics, they had them on a computer that bit the dust.

Since they didn't have the money to go out and buy another one, I looked for a good used one on Craig's List and found it plus bought a dual-head video card and donated them to the church, and they got the lyrics/sermon projection software installed on it and got everything up and running. However, since it runs Windows 98, we've known it to crash in mid-service a time or two, and the setup on that involved dual monitors, one for the person operating it and the other for the projection screen.

Therefore, even though we go to a different church these days, I'm sure there are probably quite a few other churches across the country in a similar situation as our last church, and that's why I thought I'd ask.

Thanx in advance,
Fred in St. Louis
rarsa

PostPosted: Mon 17 Dec 2007, 14:51    Post subject:  

Hi Fred,

I don't use Church Puppy but since ChurchPuppy uses Xorg and Xorg supports multiple monitors you just need to modify the Xorg configuration file located under

/etc/X11/xorg.config

The modificiations are usually very simple. They involve dupplicating the "device" and "monitor" sections asigning them new identifiers and that's it.

I have Puppy with a dual screen setup in one of the laptops, where it is actually sending the output to the laptop monitory and to the TV through the s-video connection.

Send me a PM and remind me to send it when I get home.

Here is a hint:

Puppy does not include GUI tools that may help you set up dual monitors, and I had no clue how to do this, so here is what I did:

1. Booted the computer with a live CD from one of the large distros (I used fedora but you could use Ubuntu)
2. Configured the dual monitors
3. Copied the resulting xorg.config to Puppy
4. Added the line that identifies that the xorgwizard has already been executed
5. Started puppy with X

Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: