bluedog-1.412 ISO available for download

News, happenings
tronkel

bluedog-1.412 ISO available for download

#1 Post by tronkel »

I've built an upgrade to bluedog-1.0. The original was based on Puppy 4.00, whereas this upgrade is based on the latest Puppy Linux 4.1.2. This should keep your enthusiasm going until 4.2 appears.

96MB

Get it here:

http://www.puppylinux.asia/tpp/tronkel/ ... irefox.iso

checksum:
http://www.puppylinux.asia/tpp/tronkel/ ... so.md5.txt

Out goes Seamonkey 1.1.11 to be replaced with the latest stable Firefox 3.05. Included as default are 3 extensions plus one theme - Littlefox by Alfred Keyser.

The 3 extensions are chosen so as to emulate some of the functionality of the Opera web browser - so you could consider it as having most of the features of Opera, but with the advantages bequeathed by the extensibility of Firefox.

1. Foxmarks for bookmark synchronisation
2. Fast Dial for thumbnail bookmarks
3. Simple Mail for the integrated email client - very small at 199k

The Simple Mail client is the only included mail client in the ISO. This does have some IMAP capability but not full server folder synchronisation. This may appear in the future according to the author, but in the meantime if you really require full IMAP, there is a very nice dotpet of Claws Mail 3.5 available on the forum.

Enjoy.

Edit: I've just noticed that Fast Dial thumbnails are not shown properly. To fix this, simply move the Fast Dial Extension from /usr/lib/firefox/extensions to the extension folder in your /root/.mozilla/firefox/your_profile/extensions folder. I'll do a permanent fix for this later
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

Turpin

pup_412.sfs not found

#2 Post by Turpin »

I get the pup_412.sfs not found error message when attempting to boot Bluedog from CD for the first time on my Asus EEE 701. I tried re-downloading and reburning, same results. Burned with Brasero but I don't think that's a factor because I also burned the vanilla 4.12 Puppy and it booted with no problems on the same system. Any ideas?

tronkel

#3 Post by tronkel »

Try a frugal install of Bluedog on a USB stick if you can.

Use Gparted from a vanilla 4.1.2 and make the USB partition bootable.

Then copy over the pup_412.fs, initrd.gz and vmlinuz files to the USB partition.

I did notice a problem with vanilla 4.1.2 picking up other pup_xxx.fs and maybe also pup_save files files even when none is selected from the boot screen. Rename any such file on your system if you have any. This may well be a bug. Can't be sure without further testing.

Start the Asus PC using F2 and then ESC. (I presume that it is the same as the 901 in this respect). From the blue boot device screen select the USB partition you have just prepared. See if that boots.

Let me know if that works.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

Turpin

#4 Post by Turpin »

Ok, will do. I was just thinking of trying that. I'll edit this post after I see if it worked. It's esc to boot from another device. F2 enters the bios.

Update: It worked. I had a feeling it would.
Thanks for bringing bluedog up to date. It's perfect for those who must have Firefox's features on a tiny SD card.

jabu2

#5 Post by jabu2 »

new Bluedog works OK on Fujitsu Lifebook Pent M 1.5 1gig ram liveCD & frugal install

BUT cannot get it to connect to wireless or ethernet network (Linksys wireless router WRT54G).

Hardly like to mention it, but this laptop has WinXP Pro also installed and perfect connection either wireless or with ethernet cable.

Using the puppy wizard to connect Bluedog 1.412, it seems to "fail" after getting Auto DHCP and giving all successful confirmations - and getting out of wizard in normal "Done" manner.

But then neither the built in wireless (eth0) or ethernet cable (eth1) will connect to internet when FF browser started

The standard Puppy 412 (same setup) connects either way via wizard - smoothly, and never drops connection.

Before trying your new bluedog, I had already loaded FFox and Kompozer onto Standard 4.1.2 (which is what I need).

Have gone back to that, so no real problem - but Bluedog would be favoured except for this connection problem

Probably my fault. Only notifying this in case others are having any problem ............

Hardly like to mention it No 2: the new BluDog wallpaper is intriguing but not very ergonomic (visually confusing, difficult to see icons) - I went to plain old grey (appropriate really) !

ATVB (all the very best)

KJ

#6 Post by KJ »

Nice to see FF3 replacing seamonkey. Keep up the good work. Thanks.

BlueDog loads and runs great on my old AMD D700 with 512 sdram finding my ZD1211 usb wireless.

However, I really want to run BD1 on my Neoware e90 C3 1Ghz with 1Gb dd2 and a rt73 usb wireless.
Ndiswrapper won't load and shows a fatal '/lib/modules/2.6.25.16/misc/ndiswrapper.ko' no such file or dir. error.

I've tried loading clean (no save file) from the CD several times and always get the same error. Also tried using your 412.sfs with a standard 412 save file (rt73usb working) and got many ndiswrapper errors ... disappointing but no real surprise.

Both of these boxes run great with the standard Puppy 4.1.2. However, I need to run ndiswrapper to get my rt73 to load and run correctly as the included rt73 driver doesn't work for me.

I'm probably a bit slow but I didn't realize that your new background was a dog until I saw it as a thunbnail. I tend to use a dark blue or black background and just the original icons for color.

Thanks,

KJ

Turpin

#7 Post by Turpin »

I haven't quite pegged why so many people seem to hate Firefox. It's open source! I'm just commenting on some Firefox hatred that obviously isn't in this thread, so maybe it's more appropriate if I just thank you for making this puplet. I like Opera and Seamonkey too, but each is lacking just one or two things that I'm used to in Firefox. Opera isn't open-source and Seamonkey isn't as configurable as I'd like yet.