Pup214R v1.01 uploaded

News, happenings
Dougal

#106 Post by Dougal »

The best way to view all the images in the directory is probably to try the right F-button (F1 or F2) for GqView (while you're viewing the image with qiv).
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

capoverde

#107 Post by capoverde »

Pizzasgood's way works OK -- finally! Thank you (some day maybe I'll grasp the difference between this and a standard mouse selection of many image files).

Oddly, Dougal's way doesn't work (thanks all the same) -- the commands menu appears with F1, but GQview doesn't start with any other F-key and if one dares hit one of the number keys, as qiv's menu seems to suggest, two black tabs clog the picture and freeze the viewer! Found no other way out than <Ctrl+Alt+Bcksp> and restart X.

Following the same menu's hints, GQView starts from the commandline with

# qiv-command 1 <filename>

or from the main menu of course; but it behaves unpleasantly (e.g., when switching to a new picture it loses the previous settings) which makes me prefer plain-vanilla qiv.

It's fine to have a pic viewer instead of MTPaint started when clicking an image file; it would be ideal if it could go on to view all other pics in the same folder without too much fuss...

T_Hobbit

#108 Post by T_Hobbit »

Is this Puppy still actual for old specs? Any update to come?

Or better be for another Pup?
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:

J-Bob

#109 Post by J-Bob »

T_Hobbit wrote:Is this Puppy still actual for old specs? Any update to come?

Or better be for another Pup?
It was supposed to be the base for the Puppy Phoenix CE version, but it got abandoned, but i don't know what it's version number would have been.

Puppy 2.20 (But that was Puppy 3.00, so that would not really work)
Puppy 2.14.1 (Might be a good name)
PuppyPhoenix (Could have possibly worked)

it was one of the three puppies for the current ce project.
It included Phoenix, Lassie, and Dingo.
Phoenix and Lassie were basically abandoned
Lassie is currently being revived under the Puppy Linux 3.02CE project which I'm leading with help from Tronkel and Evil20071.

I might work with Ecomoney and tronkel after i finish 3.02CE to possibly revive Phoenix.

Then I'll put those skills into a possible revival of the Puppy 1.xx series.
But that might not be as easily done as it sounds, and it sounds quite tough to begin with.

So basically the one that is fully living still is Dingo, and WhoDo is coordinating that.

And Lassie is revived, but was dead for a few months.

But phoenix might get a later revival, Possibly by me an Ecomoney, or other people in the community.

disciple

#110 Post by disciple »

Then I'll put those skills into a possible revival of the Puppy 1.xx series.
You need to be absolutely certain you really want to and can do that before you do it. I only migrated from 1.x as my everyday system a couple of months ago, but I can tell you it will be an awful lot of work to get a 1.x up to date with a lot of programs like abiword and a decent CD burning app etc. And there are so many major differences between 1.x and later versions that to maintain it you would essentially be maintaining a separate distro.
Personally I think we need as many people as possible to focus on the core puppy :(
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

ecomoney

2.14r

#111 Post by ecomoney »

Phoenix was to be the basis for a community edition...it was essentially 2.14r (a revisited and updated 2.14 by Dougal and Pakt). It is compatible with 2.15ce and can handle .pets as well as the old .pup format. Many of the wizards and startup scripts from the shortlived 3.xx series, and the current 4.xx series,had been ported to it and many drivers updated. It also had desktop icons for drives as they were plugged in, the modern wireless wizard, and an automatic restart when there was an unexpected poweroff (HUGE useability improvements). It also has pnethood for connecting to windows shares on your home/business network.

I would say its an excellent choice for some really old hardware (and for puppy that means old!), and to my mind represents the best of what the long running and popular 2.xx series had evolved into. I would recommend giving it a try for anything the 4.xx series wont run on.
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

raffy

crisp fonts

#112 Post by raffy »

214R had a lot of updates by Dougal, tested by Pakt. Unfortunately, the updates in the newer puppy4 (that include 214R novelties) have overtaken the puplet.

But there is one aspect in the 21x build that is missing in the newer 4.1.x, and this is the nice font antialiasing (in the older 21x, that is). Has anyone investigated this, or is 4.1.x nice-looking in new machines but not in PCs with older graphics cards?
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].