Pup214R v1.01 uploaded

News, happenings
pakt

Pup214R v1.01 uploaded

#1 Post by pakt »

I've now uploaded pup214R-1.01.iso and is available from http://www.puppylinux.ca/puppyfiles/Pup214R/

Due to lack of time, I've not yet uploaded the iso to bexa.org.

This iso has a number of bugfixes that were reported on the forum plus som other enhancements.

I've also uploaded pup214R-sp1.pet to http://www.puppylinux.ca/puppyfiles/Pup214R/

This dotpet 'service pack 1' has all of the changes in pup214R-1.01.iso except for the updated initrd.gz. The new initrd.gz hopefully fixes the multisession bug that was reported on the forum.
Methinks Raspberry Pi were ideal for runnin' Puppy Linux

raffy

initrd.gz and sp1.pet

#2 Post by raffy »

initrd.gz and sp1.pet could then be used by simply rebuilding the ISO. Hope you can upload these two files together. :)
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

ttuuxxx

#3 Post by ttuuxxx »

Service Packs,,, Excellent, Just what the doctor ordered. So many people in other forums get a bit peeved when a new puppy comes out and you have to update it it and you lose your desktop icons that changed or your backgrounds, menu items etc, Thats the great thing about working on 2.14R and only 2.14R you able to do something that normal mainstream puppy can't offer "Service Packs" Anyways "good on ya" ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

prehistoric

Grubby little details

#4 Post by prehistoric »

This post moved to 214R bugs thread. Blame time of original post for error. :oops:

prehistoric

tempestuous

#5 Post by tempestuous »

EDIT December 17 2007
New and updated drivers for Pup214R are now available here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=24620

raffy

Download location at minipc.org

#6 Post by raffy »

Alternative download locations of 214R version 1.01:

ISO:

http://214r.minipc.org/pup214R-1.01.iso
http://214r.minipc.org/pup214R-1.01.iso.md5.txt

Service pack (install in 214R version 1.00):
http://214r.minipc.org/pup214R-sp1.pet
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

john biles

#7 Post by john biles »

Hello pakt,
Good to see I'm not the only one who likes Puppy version 2.14
TEENpup will stay will Puppy 2.14 as its base for a little while yet.

This version of Puppy seems to suit alot of PC's from old to new and still lets you get most apps made for Linux working on it. I know it only has glibc 2.3.5 and this can stop alot of apps from working that require glibc 2.4 as a minimum, but normally you can get an earlier version of that app working.

Long Live Puppy Version 2.14 Keep those new Apps coming!
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

YoN

#8 Post by YoN »

Hello Dougal,
YoN wrote:
But at first time, I reboot/shutdown Puppy from " Menu | Shutdown | Reboot computer or Power-off computer ", no damage done. Only black screen is
there. It seems power-off.

Maybe there's a problem with your graphic card when shutting down X.
You should try selecting "exit to prompt" from the menu, then type "wmreboot" and see if it reboots and gives you the option to create a save file.
I downloaded 214R-1.01.iso file, and tried your solution. And it become successful.

These are my method;

1. Boot 214R from CD.
2. Menu - Shutdown - Exit to prompt
3. # wmreboot
(then messages below)
killall: X: no process killed
killall: X: no process killed
#
4. # xwin
(X restart)
5. Menu - Shutdown - Exit to prompt
6. Save confirm screen appeared !
<SAVE TO FILE> <SAVE TO CD> <DO NOT SAVE>
7. I could save my strage file / pup_save.2fs.

Thank you.

pdrito

still no joy.

#9 Post by pdrito »

pakt
Thanks for this Pup214R v1.01 upload version.

I try it and all went OK on the first load of multisession CD: country, languaje, xorg, mouse, etc.
After setup the network and internet, go to reboot and save on CD multisession.

With puppy pfix=debug,
During the second load of multisession CD, the bugs messages start again:
Creating tmpfs for .... done
Coping /pup_214R.sfs to ...... done
/mnt/dev_save2007-12-22-13-00 : NO such file or directory.

then after other red colour messages...system freeze.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I notice something:
When I load puppy2.15CE version, the load sequence order is:

Loadind folder 2007-12-etc etc
Creating and Mounting tmpfs on ....
Coping zdrv_215.sfs ....
Coping pup_215.sfs to ramdisk and mount ...
-------------------------------------------------------------------
So there is a diference on the load sequence order of the stuff.
I dont know if this is important, but could be the reason of the bug on initrd.gz ?.

Dougal

Re: still no joy.

#10 Post by Dougal »

pdrito wrote:/mnt/dev_save2007-12-22-13-00 : NO such file or directory.
There seems to be a / missing here... I'll look into it.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

ecomoney

Puppy 2.14R Bugs

#11 Post by ecomoney »

Hi, excellent work on the 2.14r series...just what the puppy community needs...a well supported and stable puppy! I have been using it for a week or so, and have been very impressed. I have found a few small errors.

The seamonkey browser icon on the desktop launches a browser window, but when it is clicked again it doesnt open a second one! I know seamonkey has some issue, where previously a message has been displayed saying "please open a new browser window from the already running seamonkey", and this works when the email app in seamonkey is clicked when the browser is already open, but not the browser icon itself. Of course the ideal solution would be to get it to open another browser window when it is clicked.

The flash version included in 2.14r is version 9,0,31,0, which I have found contains quite a few bugs, and is also incapable of playing videos on many popular sites (like facebook). The latest version is 9,0,115,0, whgich I have found more stable, and also capable of playing videos full screen. I understand this version is slightly larger.

With gxine, in a "normalised" window state, switching to full screen doesnt work when playing a video or mp3. When it is maximised first, then it can be switched to full screen no problem (strange!).

I tried a quick audio cd burn from mp3 with Gcombust (the interface is very complicated is there a simpler package?), but the resulting cd just played static. Does it need liblame or something?

Also, .torrent files are not associated with transmission-gtk, so when they are downloaded from the web they dont open automatically. I find generally that puppy has good support for a lot of file types, but they are not always set up to open with the correct program. This is quite important to end users, especially with first-time-linux users who are anxious that their files will be compatible.

Im really glad the multiple pup_save support has been backported to 2.14r along with the other features. I do miss the updated pdf reader used in the 3.xx series as I have found xpdf lacking on many occaisions). I also miss the updated lite webbrowser on the 3.xx series. Ive been impressed with the skipstone browser and I believe its very small, could this be added instead of dillo?

Many thanks again for all the hard work thats gone into this!
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

cb88

#12 Post by cb88 »

ecomoney....
I am rather against removal of dillo...

Dougal: if you leave sheepspool.swf in the it should be started with bareview and not seamonkey so there are no navegation buttons etc...
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

john biles

#13 Post by john biles »

Hello ecomoney,
I've been told that the Flash Plug-in version 9,0,115,0 isn't really compatible with Puppy 2.14 base lib's EG: Glibc 2.3.5 I don't know how much true is in it?
I found in testing on older PC's that Youtube Video's would miss a lot of frames per second using version 9,0,115,0 where by the earlier flash 9,0,48,0 plug-in played the same Youtube video's just fine.
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

ecomoney

flash

#14 Post by ecomoney »

Ive tried the new flash in ecopup, which is 2.15ce based with no problems, but I have a fairly hefty 800mhz (by puppies standards) celeron with a 32mb graphics card and 256mb RAM, so I wouldnt know about the framerate issue.
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

nic2109

214R Bugs

#15 Post by nic2109 »

prehistoric wrote:This post moved to 214R bugs thread. Blame time of original post for error. :oops:

prehistoric
Er..... has that thread actually been started? Or has it been deleted? Or is it hiding?

Blowed if I can find it. :oops:

nic2109

Installer Problems in 214R

#16 Post by nic2109 »

Hi; I was hoping to try v1.01 to see if it's been fixed but it's still downloading (it's taking an age) so I apologise if this issue will be fixed when it comes!

Puppy Universal Installer (aka "PUI") gets in a right old tangle on my system and fails utterly. See the attached screenshot for the results of an attempted Frugal install..

I have a single SATA disk partitioned with 3 primary partitions for 'doze with a 4th a logical partition which has a SWAP and 3 EXT3 partitions. The first EXT 3 (which is sda6) has ubuntu and is where GRUB's menu.lst hangs out in /boot/grub/. I have other frugal installs in sda7 andd have manually updated menu.lst and they work fine.

The first problem is that even when told to use sda8, PUI has actually used sda6 and created a pup214R folder in /boot/grub there.

The second is that it has only copied initrd.gz and vmlinuz and has omitted the sfs files.

And the third is that the menu.lst entry it suggests is incorrect, and the last is that it doesn't actually update menu.lst.

Basically nothing worked right!

The download is still plodding on so I'll leave it running overnight, and update this thread tomorrow if v1.01 behaves any better.
Attachments
Puppy 214R PUI Results.png
(178.64 KiB) Downloaded 1404 times

raffy

original post of 2.14R

#17 Post by raffy »

nic2109, I guess prehistoric refers to the original posting of 2.14R:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=24082
(I understand that your post above belongs there?)

Have you tried getting 1.01 from this mirror? Or just install the service pack.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 416#161416

Newcrest

#18 Post by Newcrest »

Hi, thanks for the people behind this version. My laptop mouse does not like Puppy 2.16 and 2.17 so I am happy there are updates for many things in this package.

However, I cannot find whether 2.14R has the improved NTFS support included in 2.16:
NTFS support and general partition management improved. A swag of packages have been upgraded, namely FUSE, ntfs-3g, ntfsprogs.

Puppy 2.14 and 2.15CE don't reliably write to NTFS partitions after a few writes have taken place. So were these changes done in 2.14R ?

Thanks

Dougal

Re: Puppy 2.14R Bugs

#19 Post by Dougal »

ecomoney wrote:The seamonkey browser icon on the desktop launches a browser window, but when it is clicked again it doesnt open a second one!
That's built-in to the script that runs mozilla binary (the "official" script, that comes with it), so new tabs are opened rather than a new process. It can probably be hacked to not do it, but do we really want it to keep opening new processes?
The flash version included in 2.14r is version 9,0,31,0, which I have found contains quite a few bugs, and is also incapable of playing videos on many popular sites (like facebook). The latest version is 9,0,115,0, whgich I have found more stable, and also capable of playing videos full screen. I understand this version is slightly larger.
Pakt will hacve to answer you about that...
With gxine, in a "normalised" window state, switching to full screen doesnt work when playing a video or mp3. When it is maximised first, then it can be switched to full screen no problem (strange!).
I've always had that with Gxine... don't know what can be done about it.
I tried a quick audio cd burn from mp3 with Gcombust (the interface is very complicated is there a simpler package?), but the resulting cd just played static. Does it need liblame or something?
I think liblame is included, isn't it? Gcombust is quite a relic and should probably be removed -- why didn't you try Grafburn?
Also, .torrent files are not associated with transmission-gtk
Ok. I've fixed a lot of thew mime-types, but was not aware of that (will also have to find an icon for torrent files...).

I do miss the updated pdf reader used in the 3.xx series as I have found xpdf lacking on many occaisions).[/quote]
I thought of moving to epdfview, but it only supports printing through CUPS, so I didn't know it it's worth it.
I also miss the updated lite webbrowser on the 3.xx series.
Do you mean Netsurf or the Mozilla "bareview"?
I compiled Netsurf a while ago and it was much slower than Dillo and had problems opening some of the man pages! The idea of having Dillo is that if you click a local html file it will open instantly, so I'm reluctant to use anything that will be slower.
Ive been impressed with the skipstone browser and I believe its very small, could this be added instead of dillo?
I noticed that Barry just compiled it and will see if I can get it compiled on 214 (might be too old a version of Mozilla), but it's a question of how fast it is..
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

nic2109

Re: Installer Problems in 214R

#20 Post by nic2109 »

nic2109 wrote:Puppy Universal Installer (aka "PUI") gets in a right old tangle on my system and fails utterly. See the attached screenshot for the results of an attempted Frugal install.

The download is still plodding on so I'll leave it running overnight, and update this thread tomorrow if v1.01 behaves any better.
Here's the promised update - a couple of days late. Sorry.

Either v1.01 does behave better, or maybe it's that I have learned something new. Just letting PUI copy from the CD produced a working system for me. I had to edit menu.lst manually as it couldn't do that for some reason so I simply copied what it said it would do.

What it actually did surprised me however. I selected sda8 for the installation and that's where it put the 2 .sfs files. But the kernel and initrd.gz files were put elsewhere - in a new puppy214R directory in the same place as the GRUB directory: i.e. /boot on sda6. While this isn't actually wrong it isn't really what I wanted.

So; to summarize. PUI sort of worked but did its stuff in unexpected ways, and it could not update menu.lst.

Nick