Puppy Linux 3.01 Boot Manager Problem

Please post any bugs you have found
GMMan_

Puppy Linux 3.01 Boot Manager Problem

#1 Post by GMMan_ »

Well, I have finally gotten (most) of Puppy installed into a directory on my USB drive. Today, I was uploading some photos from my mini camera (these things' Windows driver keeps on crashing...), and upon opening gphoto2, I got a message of a library not found error. When I stared at it a little, it seemed weird that it worked before but not now. First suspicion was that missing lib. Googled it up, and found it's a part of libtools. Thought a bit more, and it seems that it was most likely that libtools were in the devx module. Why would devx be missing when it's right there? Checked my drive, and it's under the Puppy directory that I made. Looking at the GUI boot manager configurer, it said that all modules had to be under /mnt/home, where pup_save is (but my pup_save is not under /mnt/home, but in /mnt/home/PuppyLinux; minor difference, no?). I copied the sfs under /mnt/home, rebooted, and their normal functions were restored. However, that just distorts what I intended in the first place -- place as much of Puppy under a directory. I don't think I can symlink them because my drive's vfat.

I did a bit of digging around with the init codes. I went as far as rc.local0 rc.modules > modprob > zdrvfind. However, I think the problem might be further down the line, since it appears that rc.modules just load kernel modules, not sfs modules; and that the "loading modules" notice appears after X has loaded.

It'd be great if someone fixed that, and fool around with Puppy-in-a-folder so that almost all of Puppy can fit in a folder. I still consider Puppy-in-a-folder beta...

Update: Looking further it seems that /usr/sbin/bootmanger and /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE are involved. So, that means, whatever script that created PUPSTATE must be involved too. There should be something in the PUPSTATE creator script that also puts in where the main Puppy files are located, and the bootmanger should also implement a check to see if there are any sfs inside the main Puppy directory. I'll see what I can do...