Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 22 Dec 2014, 01:54
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
ChurchPup
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 17 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 15, 16, 17 Next
Subito Piano

PostPosted: Wed 12 Dec 2007, 02:18    Post_subject:  ChurchPup
Sub_title: Here is the new churchpup forum

ChurchPup Forum
ChurchPup RC1 is up and ready for testing! Check it out at:
Home page: www.churchpup.com
Package List and notes
Screenshots
This is a full-featured Puppy derivative aimed primarily at Christians but open to all. ChurchPup focuses on Bible study, office applications, internet, and email, but also includes applications for multimedia presentations, audio and video editing, and musical notation. A "lite" version is planned as well.
Do download it and take for a spin -- then post your comments here!
Thanks to LOF for initiating this and PrairieDog for making it a reality.
KF6SNJ

PostPosted: Sun 16 Dec 2007, 20:37    Post_subject:  

gxbible is giving me some rather odd behavior upon boot up. It seems every time I boot up the computer currently, I get a bible verse related to the liturgical season of advent. While I confess that it is advent, this is a little strange, though not unpleasant. Just seems a bit weird. Personally, I like it.
Subito Piano

PostPosted: Sun 16 Dec 2007, 21:02    Post_subject:  

Hmm..maybe the creators of gxbible have tied it into the church calendar. If so, it will be interesting to see if they managed to tie in verses for Eastertime, since each year's date for Easter varies from the Gregorian calendar we use!
PrairieDog

PostPosted: Sun 16 Dec 2007, 21:42    Post_subject:  

KF6SNJ wrote:
gxbible is giving me some rather odd behavior upon boot up. It seems every time I boot up the computer currently, I get a bible verse related to the liturgical season of advent. While I confess that it is advent, this is a little strange, though not unpleasant. Just seems a bit weird. Personally, I like it.

Speaking as the "creator" of GXBible I have no explanation for any such seemingly intelligent behavior! It's a miracle it even works, so maybe this is just another miracle that it behaves as you describe. I'm curious though KF6SNJ, Does it seem to be stuck in a loop or something?

Now that Subito mentions it I could make an update for Passion week.....
Subito Piano

PostPosted: Sun 16 Dec 2007, 22:02    Post_subject:  

That's YOU that created it, PrairieDog?!?!? Cool!

You icon is KILLING me!! Luvit!
KF6SNJ

PostPosted: Sun 16 Dec 2007, 22:33    Post_subject:  

PrairieDog wrote:

Speaking as the "creator" of GXBible I have no explanation for any such seemingly intelligent behavior! It's a miracle it even works, so maybe this is just another miracle that it behaves as you describe. I'm curious though KF6SNJ, Does it seem to be stuck in a loop or something?

Now that Subito mentions it I could make an update for Passion week.....

So far I wouldn't call it a loop. I have yet to see any verses repeat themselves. It is just somehow managing to hit the Old Testament, Epistle, Gospel, and Psalms for advent. Really odd, but pretty cool.
cafluegg

PostPosted: Mon 17 Dec 2007, 18:44    Post_subject: Problems downloading churchpup  

I was just wondering if anyone else has had problems downloading the ISO for churchpup RC1? I've been following the development of this puppy derivative with great interest, being very desirous to install it on my laptop.

I currently run Ubuntu CE on my desktop, and I love it. However, UCE runs too slow for me on my Sony Vaio laptop. For this reason, I would love to convert my UCE laptop over to churchpup. However, I can't seem to download the ISO.

I've tried downloading the ISO from three different computers, to no avail. I tried downloading it with my dad's XP desktop, my UCE laptop and a XP64bit machine at work. At first I thought that it was my internet connection, which is why I tried downloading it on a machine at work. I can never seem to get it to download more than a hundred megabytes before the download quits.

Any thoughts?
PrairieDog

PostPosted: Mon 17 Dec 2007, 20:40    Post_subject: Re: Problems downloading churchpup  

cafluegg wrote:
I was just wondering if anyone else has had problems downloading the ISO

Hi cafluegg, as a matter of fact, Caneri From pupplinux.ca PMed me the other day with the same problem. Oddly enough I was able to download it a short while later.Our brother Subito Piano is running the download site and I know he's monitoring this thread. Meanwhile I'll drop you an email with ftp instructions to my site, and you can give that a try. How'd that be?

Thanks, Mark
Caneri

PostPosted: Mon 17 Dec 2007, 20:56    Post_subject:  

Hi PrairieDog,

I don't know if this is something..but MU has had problems with Firefox for downloading from his server.

He recommends using wget with the "-c" to get iso's

the command is wget -c http://www.elmirachristianacademy.com/ChurchPup_releases/ChurchPup_RC1.iso

I hope this helps and the link works ok.

To copy and paste into rxvt or the console just copy the link to a Leafpad....highlight the link and leave it highlighted then open rxvt and type wget -c (with a space after the -c) then hit shift/insert at the same time..then enter... and the download should start with error correction and resume.

Eric

PrairieDog

PostPosted: Mon 17 Dec 2007, 21:17    Post_subject:  

Caneri wrote:
He recommends using wget with the "-c" to get iso's

Thanks Eric, I never thought of that!
KF6SNJ

PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec 2007, 00:31    Post_subject:  

That is what I do every time I download an ISO. I do this so that if something goes wrong and I lose my connection, wget can pick up where it left off. Really nice.

Oh, if anyone is interested, I got an "A" on my Introduction to Old Testament class.

cafluegg

PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec 2007, 01:13    Post_subject: downloading right now  

Thanks prairiedog! I'm downloading the ISO right now as I type this reply. I won't be able to do anything with it until Tuesday, however.

I will be sure to report back how it all goes... Smile
PrairieDog

PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec 2007, 07:52    Post_subject:  

KF6SNJ wrote:
I got an "A" on my Introduction to Old Testament class.

Well Done Brother! 2 Timothy 2:15 in action!
cafluegg

PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec 2007, 22:25    Post_subject: Success
Sub_title: Well... kinda'

Well, I was finally able to get churchpup installed! I had to install it a couple of times before it finally worked, but I'm chalking that up to inexperience.

e-Sword, on the other hand, is a different story. I had to follow the same tutorial that I followed to install it onto my UCE machine in order for it to install correctly. Everything works; however, I have to open it up through the terminal every time I want to use it. I have to type in the following command within the wine folder to run e-Sword: env WINEPREFIX=~/.wine_Esword wine e-sword.exe

Any idea why I can't just click on the e-sword.exe file?

If I can figure this out, I will be a happy happy man... not that I'm not already happy... Smile

By the way, I love what you all are doing. This is a perfect alternative to the bloated UCE. UCE runs fine on my P4 3.2ghz machine, but it just drags on my 1.66 ghz 512mb sony vaio laptop. Churchpup has given my laptop a second wind.

Thanks guys!
KF6SNJ

PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec 2007, 23:04    Post_subject:  

cafluegg,

Why not simply use BibleDesktop, which comes with ChurchPup? It uses all the same modules that e-sword does, and it doesn't need wine to work.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 17 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 15, 16, 17 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum