Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 18 Oct 2019, 19:41
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Can applications be shared by multiple Puppies?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]  
mikegt4

PostPosted: Fri 07 Dec 2007, 21:21    Post subject:  Can applications be shared by multiple Puppies?
Subject description: saving applications for different distros

Having caught the Puppy distro fever bug, I have several CDs for different Puppies. I have some applications (ex. xnview) that I would like to use regardless of which CD that I booted from. I remember someone posting that they keep applications on their HD for just such a reason but I haven't been able to find that thread again. Being on dial-up, re-downloading applications for each CD is a real pain.

Is it possible to save the application to HD and still run it from a Puppy CD? I found some info on the ROX website but it's over my "linux noobie" head and may not even work with a Puppy CD boot.
http://roscidus.com/desktop/about_rox
muggins

PostPosted: Sat 08 Dec 2007, 05:13    Post subject:  

mikegt4,

If you're running from a frugal hdisk install, or from a cdrom, it's useful sometimes to have a directory, external to the pup_save.2fs file system, containing scripts & other programs that you don't want to have to install again, or lose if you do an upgrade.

But you need to try & glean a basic understanding of the linux file structure, and the particular program that you want to keep. So that for a fictitious program abc, it might have an executable /usr/bin/abc, required libraries stored in /usr/lib/abc, and various other files stored in /usr/share/abc.

If you then create directories, /mnt/home/myprogs/usr/bin, /mnt/home/myprogs/usr/lib & /mnt/home/myprogs/usr/share, then move across the relevant bits of abc, then symlink these back to their correct locations in the file structure, abc should work.

Why do it this way? You can then easily make a script, that will symlink any programs that you've moved to /mnt/home/myprogs to their proper locations, then run this script with any puppy version, and it's as easy as [pun]abc[/pun]!
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: