which is the best way; unleashed or remastering ?

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Joydeep

which is the best way; unleashed or remastering ?

#1 Post by Joydeep »

Dear Puppy developers,

Could any one kindly suggest the best way to make a new distro ?
remastering or using unleashed ? I have already installed puppy-3.01 in my hard disk.
And I like to build a puupy which will have xvesa server only and not the x.org. Plus it should have Adie and not gnney..... plus some other packages which don't come with puppy. and finally I want to carry that puppy in a USB stick. So this is the present scenario and I need your kind suggestions.

One more question. How A FULL installation differers from a frugal ?
Does both the installation first loaded in the RAM and run there after ?

thanks

ttuuxxx

Re: which is the best way; unleashed or remastering ?

#2 Post by ttuuxxx »

Joydeep wrote:Dear Puppy developers,

Could any one kindly suggest the best way to make a new distro ?
remastering or using unleashed ? I have already installed puppy-3.01 in my hard disk.
And I like to build a puupy which will have xvesa server only and not the x.org. Plus it should have Adie and not gnney..... plus some other packages which don't come with puppy. and finally I want to carry that puppy in a USB stick. So this is the present scenario and I need your kind suggestions.

One more question. How A FULL installation differers from a frugal ?

thanks
Hey joy
ok here's the thing, I've sen some of your other post on here and basically your new to Linux or puppy. I think you should take your time before diving that deep into it, I spend a min of 8 hrs a day trying to fix my "Fire Hydrant". I waited over 12 months before even trying what you want to do, And the way xorg and vesa are tied together in the 2&3 Series, But wait i think the puppy 4 alpha right now has vesa installed and not xorg, I might be wrong but i think its that way, If you are remastering for yourself then try it out with the alpha, its a true alpha, a lot of this need fixing, but its a great way to learn how to do things.

Remastering 101 it is not as easy just running the remastering scrip , have have to have an idea of which files in the root folder to move manually or you'll lose you settings for firefox like skins, bookmarks etc, or your login in for gaim, etc. You should manually move .purple, Choices, .mozilla
plus others depending what you have installed, make sure you use a cdrw to test them out, if not it might cost you a small fortune in cd's :) Also try out a program called "PetBeGone" It will remove packages that come preinstalled with puppy, But do not remove XORG it will crash, even if your booted in xesa.

I think really the best way is to go the unleashed. Just read the documentation about it and knock yourself out, Give it a shot.:)

ttuuxxx

cb88

#3 Post by cb88 »

hmm.. a script that auto cleans /root would be really helpful so web cache and optionally bookmarks etc...

perhaps it should go through a text file of directorys to delete/copy that way it can easily be edited
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

Joydeep

#4 Post by Joydeep »

<qoute>
Hey joy
ok here's the thing, I've sen some of your other post on here and basically your new to Linux or puppy.
</qoute>

Well I am really new in puppy but have a little linux experience as I hv been working with debian since last 10 yrs.

I like to repeat one topic again :-)

How A FULL installation differers from a frugal ?

apart from this I am very much interested to know the scripts that actually run after the first boot of puppy. I believe there I can find the xvesa and xorg configuration issue.
many thanks to all of you for your GREAT support

Pizzasgood

#5 Post by Pizzasgood »

Full HD installs don't load into ram. They function the same as a normal operating system.

Frugal HD installs load into ram. They are essentially identical to using Puppy as a LiveCD, with the exception that the kernel, initrd.gz, and pup_xxx.sfs files are stored on the harddrive rather than CD, and the boot loader is Grub from the harddrive rather than IsoLinux from a CD. Otherwise, everything is the same.

I prefer Unleashed myself. It's more hassle to get set up, but afterwards it offers what I view as a more stable development environment. There are fewer opportunities to forget to do something, especially if you edit the createpuppy script to automate all the choices.

Off the top of my head, I believe the startup process is thus:
*within initrd.gz:
/init (or /sbin/init in pre 3.xx Puppies)
*within pup_xxx.sfs/pup_save.2fs
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit
/etc/rc.d/rc.local0
/etc/rc.d/rc.local
(those also call/include some of the other scripts in /etc/rc.d/, but none influence the X server)
/etc/profile
/usr/X11R7/bin/xwin
/root/.xinitrc
whatever is referenced in /etc/windowmanager (which gets changed if you start X with xwin YYYY)
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Joydeep

#6 Post by Joydeep »

Thanks a lot for your mail. It is really helpful