Pup214R v1.00 - Puppy Linux 2.14 Revisited, is now available

News, happenings
Dougal

Re: example menu.lst generated by Mepis

#151 Post by Dougal »

prehistoric wrote:@Dougal

Here's a brand new menu.lst from an installation of SimplyMepis 7.0 for your collection of examples from other Linux systems.
Thanks, I guess I'll just go for the "title" lines (seems like most installers don't use comments anyway, so I won't be messing anything up.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

rerwin

Re: Host Misidentification Problem

#152 Post by rerwin »

Thanks, Dougal, for accepting my MAC address client-ID fix. I have discovered two other instances of dhcpcd calls that should be changed, too. I have edited my original post with the following:
While the above change alone appears to correct the problem, for consistency, two other calls to dhcpcd should also have the "-I ''" inserted. Line 861 in net-setup.sh should be:

Code: Select all

dhcpcd -I '' ${INTERFACE}
And for rebooting, line 221 of /etc/rc.d/rc.network should be:

Code: Select all

dhcpcd -I '' ${INTERFACE}
Be aware that this fix is appropriate for only dhcpcd 3.14. If the older dhcpcd is substituted, the fix causes problems -- you don't want to go there.

EDIT re 3.1.8: This fix also works with dhcpcd 3.1.8, used in the 4.00 alphas, although the line numbers to change are different. I experimented with making the choice optional, and now have it working except for a user interface. Since WinXP and Ubuntu still use the MAC address-only client ID, I see no benefit in adding the new client-ID format before the mainstream OSes do. Another reason to use the fix is that the new format results in a new IP address assignment for each pup_save file/partition. Also, after setting up networking without a pup_save and then saving to a new pup_save, the reboot to start using the pup_save results in a new IP address being obtained, different from that gotten before the reboot.
Richard

Dougal

#153 Post by Dougal »

I've implemented using the "title" line in the grub menu for adding the new entry, if anyone wants to try it...
Attachments
puppyinstaller.gz
(19.57 KiB) Downloaded 405 times
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind