wish list for next puppy release

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
ecomoney

#76 Post by ecomoney »

Interesting stuff Synth/PG...I will point it out to Edupup (puppy for kids) developer Slapshot.
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

glengainer

#77 Post by glengainer »

computerophil wrote:I wish that Puppy stays as it used to be small, quickly and realible,..

The atands to put too many things into it I feel disturbing espezially there shouldn't change the primary Puppy feeling (JWM) , Seamonkey is a perfect joice (inkl html-editor + mailclient) please remain with Abiword (I don't like OpenOffice)

So the only changings I would like is Java, maybe Skype and a radio.
Maybe there should be a "puppy" puppy with just the basic software with the traditional <100MB and a "dog" puppy with the extra stuff that people like (open office ect) with bigger size (but still fits on a cd 650MB )

Also can someone make a just web puppy please just a web brower installed (Don't make me beg like a dog :P )

technosaurus

#78 Post by technosaurus »

browser only pup ... download gpup and install opera and flash (you may want gxine & plugins too) then remaster... should be ~60mb or so if you really worked at it you could probably strip it down to ~50mb by deleting unnecessary files at the last stage before it builds the pup_XXX.sfs (I found it easier to add packages to tiny core or just use slitaz or xpud for this purpose)
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

dcbevins

My 2 Cents

#79 Post by dcbevins »

I've used puppy on and off since 3.0. I am just setting up 4.2 as we speak.

4.2 immedieatly seems busy. It looks nice but clutered. You have tons of icons on the desktop, a big fat clock, things on the top and sides that jump at you, a menu that is more or less the same as a right click on the desktop menu.

I like icewm better than jwm, not sure why. Could someone figure out a way to make icewm themes with backgrounds override rox pinboards background image setting?

I would like to see all the duplicate ways to do the same task greatly reduced. I don't need a way to start something from the desktop icon an icon in the panel, the main menu, a right click menu, or the new control panel. This redudancy IMHO complicates things, not makes them simpler and more user friendly. The right click menu seems like a waste with the main menu present. Other funcitons would be more useful.

I know this has been said before, but the way packages are handled is rough. This to me is the biggest drawback to puppy. Puppy is the fastest linux distro I have ever tried, and I have tried many with diffrent configurations. It makes it the only choice for some old machines I have, (I am not doing win98). But I have new grey hairs from trying to find the latest or at least a newer version of an app I desire or one which I can't find a working pup. Chasing down the dependancies is ghastly. The pet manager has a sparce choice of apps.

Pup packages make things easier. However, those these are riddled with missing dependancies. Trying to find a web page with the pup for your puppy version is time consuming, certainly a turn off for new users. Also, searching through library sources has the same problems.

Can't all these pup sources be added directly to Puppy? A offical unoffical warning could be added if needed. But a way to look at all these pup's, filtered to your puppy version directly from some mechanism in puppy would be great. Same for all those pup's with library files.

Could some script be added that used ldd to at least give some warning that a pup might not work before you install?

If hosting all these files is a problem, maybe a mechanism that point to source files confirmed to be able to be compiled in a certain version of puppy and a way to grab them, compile them and install them with an uninstall option.

A one click button to install compile support. Maybe adding a defualt make command that if type asked, "Compiler Missing Install? (y/n)

How about bug fixes. Could a way to auto update be included instead of having to hunt down every patch? What about a way to auto update to a newer version with puppy in place as in going from 3.0 to 4.2

As far as apps go, nothing fat please. I can add fat later. Just basic tools that work.

Also, I would like an Instant Messanger by default. I can add one later, but as Xchat in 4.2 is great but only handles irc.

I realy like puppy. The speed keeps me using it. Don't slow it down whatever you do. I don't think it needs any new features, other than keeping up with old and new hardware, and a better way to manage installing applications. Avoid the feature creep goblin.

ttuuxxx

Re: My 2 Cents

#80 Post by ttuuxxx »

dcbevins wrote:
I like icewm better than jwm, not sure why. Could someone figure out a way to make icewm themes with backgrounds override rox pinboards background image setting?

Also, I would like an Instant Messanger by default. I can add one later, but as Xchat in 4.2 is great but only handles irc.
IceWM backgrounds: Yes you can add specific backgrounds to themes and they change with the theme selection. Buttttttttt not with the version on 4.2 or really with any version of Icewm released on puppy to date, basically another bin file called backgrounds, and the source might have to altered to use it on puppy, You see puppy by nature is somewhat hacked together as small as possible to give you the most bang for your MB, but we also use 4x4 pixel images stretched as backgrounds which we couldn't use with the icewm method, It would have to been full images and would add a lot of bloat, plus the bin etc.

IM clients: In the forum under software there are numerous versions of IM clients, pidgin, amsn, ymessenger, etc
Xchat was the smallest and most user friendly I'M client and made a great 'Live help'
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

ecomoney

#81 Post by ecomoney »

@ dcbevins Thanks for the feedback

The idea of having access to a live support chatroom directly from the desktop is supurb IMHO, but it mustnt be mixed up with with IM via other methods. Users still need a separate Gaim/Pidgin for that task, and as one of the major purposes they use computers for they would need it installed by default, even if it meant losing the spreadsheet or the mail-reader! Who needs a personal wiki?

Perhaps a "pTheme" programme would allow a set of different predefined windowborders/gtk themes/icewm themes and backgrounds to be implemented in one click? Linux's theming capabilities are a big draw to windows users. Good to know it can be done.
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Colonel Panic

#82 Post by Colonel Panic »

glengainer wrote:
computerophil wrote:I wish that Puppy stays as it used to be small, quickly and realible,..

The atands to put too many things into it I feel disturbing espezially there shouldn't change the primary Puppy feeling (JWM) , Seamonkey is a perfect joice (inkl html-editor + mailclient) please remain with Abiword (I don't like OpenOffice)

So the only changings I would like is Java, maybe Skype and a radio.
Maybe there should be a "puppy" puppy with just the basic software with the traditional <100MB and a "dog" puppy with the extra stuff that people like (open office ect) with bigger size (but still fits on a cd 650MB )

Also can someone make a just web puppy please just a web brower installed (Don't make me beg like a dog :P )
Todd Richardson already has; do a search for Surfpup :)

My main wish is for full control over the savefile. Specifically, I'd like to see a "manual" option, where Puppy only creates a savefile when you ask it to, and an "automatic" option where it saves to a savefile at predetermined intervals and also when you close Puppy down.

Also, it would be good if Puppy recovered better from crashes, booting back into X Windows when restarted after a crash or lock-up instead of booting back up to the console and then requiring you to set up XOrg again. I've seen a fix for this elsewhere on the forum.

Pizzasgood

#83 Post by Pizzasgood »

@synth: I intend to look into getting proper multiuser working this summer, and if I succeed, I will release a puplet with the changes, along with directions on DIY. I'll also see what I can do about getting the capacity into Puppy itself (Puppy would still run as root by default). However, that is not a guarantee that the future Puppies would be anywhere near as thoroughly tested in multi-user mode as in root-only mode. But it would be usable at the least.

I personally prefer running as root. But there are definitely times when proper multiuser would be handy.

For now, I suppose something like this would work. Note: I haven't tested this stuff so I'm not entirely certain it will work, but I think it should.

Add a script to /etc/init.d/ that runs looks to see if /tmp/POWEROFF exists. If so, delete it and then run 'wmpoweroff'. Else, check if /tmp/REBOOT exists. If so, delete it and then run 'wmreboot'. Else, sleep for five seconds.
/etc/init.d/powerdaemon

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
if [ "$1" = "start" ]; then
  while [ 1 ]; do
    if [ -f /tmp/POWEROFF ]; then
      rm -f /tmp/POWEROFF
      exec wmpoweroff
    fi
    if [ -f /tmp/REBOOT ]; then
      rm -f /tmp/REBOOT
      exec wmreboot
    fi
    sleep 5
  done
fi
Be sure to set it executable. Note: that code won't take effect until the next time you boot.

Then to power off or reboot the computer, all they would need is to create one of those files using the command 'touch /tmp/POWEROFF', for example. Basic scripts could be set up to show a dialog and then create those files, like so:

#!/bin/sh
Xdialog --yesno "Shutdown computer?" 0 0
 [ $? -eq 0 ] && touch /tmp/POWEROFF

#!/bin/sh
Xdialog --yesno "Reboot computer?" 0 0
 [ $? -eq 0 ] && touch /tmp/REBOOT
Then set the menu entries to point to those, or add desktop icons. There will be up to a five second delay between pressing "yes" and the actual powerdown or reboot, unless you decrease the length it sleeps in the first chunk of code I posted. Maybe three seconds would be better. It does almost nothing, so it wouldn't be slowing the machine down or anything.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

river~~

Combined iso: bootable and win autorun

#84 Post by river~~ »

A downlaoadable iso with qemu and the windoze files to provide an autorun menu, one of the options on that menu would start qemu & puppy.

Then you'd use it as a stand alone boot CD just as now, but also if you put the CD into a running winbox, it would be one click into Puppy.

This would not be the standard download, but an "optional extra". Yes, I know we can each make this for ourselves, but the person who most wants it is the newbie who doesn't yet know how.

River~~

river~~

Choices on the live disk boot menu

#85 Post by river~~ »

I'd like the download .iso to include choices on the boot menu. There would be a fairly short time to choose (~3sec) and the default would be to boot the cd as at present.

Other choices would be:
- boot the live cd into cli instead of the gui
- go into submenues for:
--- boot into puppy on hard disk (more than one option here to cope with different partitions)
--- boot into usb stick (again, is there more than one place grub can find usb? if so include all the likely ones)
--- chainload into NTLDR on various likely partitions

Again, most of the time these would be ignored - but they would be *very* useful for the newbie who finds their usb stick doesn't boot, or who breaks their MBR, or whatever. And again, those who'd benefit most would be those who are least able to do it for themselves.

The extra space taken up by the options would be minimal, so I'd suggest adding these to all the downloadable .iso files.

Master_wrong

stop calling drive partition by its code

#86 Post by Master_wrong »

I have tried to show puppy to all my friend which eager to learn puppy, and all of them have one similiar complaint... "why linux call my partition hda,sda, etc when they all have volume label ?"

thinking about it, puppy linux has great potential to be the beginners linux as we can use it with live cd and save the changes to hd instead of having to install with all those horror story about installing linux.

my suggestion is to include volume labels to the drive information on desktop and on pmount drive mounter...
so instead of seeing sda1... we will see data_1@sda1 or data_1(sda1) that would help those ppl running away from windo$

that's my 2 cent, Thank you

ecomoney

#87 Post by ecomoney »

Good suggestions River, especially the chainload windows one. Puppy is used as a rescue distro already by many windows "professionals" (as I was too), until I eventually the rescuer was more worthy of rescuing than the OS needing to be (repeatedly) rescued. Windows is more than capable of breaking its own MBR.

I believe there is a "nox" boot parameter already...perhaps it is not worded clearly enough.

PizzasGood did some very good work on graphical boot screens specified in the 3.02CE project (that wouldnt I believe add to the memory requirement, just the ISO size). Im in two minds about the startup dialogs being shown without a boot parameter. If they do they should definetely show when .sfs's are being added to the squash file system.

Here is a vid of BackTrack livecd loading, which I believe offers a compromise between an informative AND attractive first impression.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it98r5NHZG4

@ Master_wrong

I agree, I have seen that about the drive icons (weve only had them since 4 series...before it was a real pain!). Your idea would be great....perhaps with a tooltip to say "first partition on primary master hard disk" when hovered over.

Puppy is an excellent starter distro, and Ive tried a few on people. Real world feedback is greatly needed thanks for posting.

nubc

#88 Post by nubc »

In developing cutting edge software towards Puppy 5, I hope we don't get too big for our britches and abandon modem support. Of all the ways to trim Puppy, connectivity should be off the table. An OS doesn't amount to much if it can't make a connection to the internet.

straypup

#89 Post by straypup »

A choice of either the new popup shut-down menu or the old mouse over/click version. Saw a solution somewhere in the forums, but can't find it again. :?

ttuuxxx

#90 Post by ttuuxxx »

straypup wrote:A choice of either the new popup shut-down menu or the old mouse over/click version. Saw a solution somewhere in the forums, but can't find it again. :?
Here's the one for 4.2 but I have newer themes I'll start uploading soon :)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=292977
ttuuxxx

aragon

#91 Post by aragon »

@ river~~
- boot the live cd into cli instead of the gui
it's there: pfix=nox

here's the boot-option page (4.2) that you reach if you press <F2> on start of the live-cd (within the first seconds).

Boot options:
If you need particular boot options, type puppy then a space,
then each boot option. Some boot options:

acpi=off      Default on for PCs >2001, may give boot/shutdown probs.
loglevel=<n>  Bootup verbosity. 7 is high verbosity for debugging.
pfix=ram      Run Puppy totally in RAM - ignore saved sessions.
pfix=nox      Commandline only, do not start X.
pfix=noram    Do not copy pup_xxx.sfs to RAM (Puppy may override).
pfix=copy     Copy pup_xxx.sfs to RAM (slower boot, faster running).
pfix=<n>      Blacklist last <n> sessions (multisession only).
pfix=fsck     Do filesystem check on pup_save (and host part. if ext2).
pfix=clean    File cleanup (simulate version upgrade).
pfix=purge    More radical file cleanup (to fix broken system).
pfix=rdsh     For developers only (initramfs shell).

Examples:
puppy pfix=nox,ram         Run in RAM, do not start X.
cpuppy acpi=off pfix=3      Disable ACPI and ignore last three sessions.
aragon

jabol240

#92 Post by jabol240 »

Hello everyone:))
I love you all for this great distro!!!
...I know it may be a spam, what I write here, but I would like to add my wishes to this wish-list...

Multiuser, other desktop environments like xfce, lxde easy to install from pupget, rather than from the forum, and set as default, login screen to handle the above. Another file manager like Thunar or PCMan is minimum! Also Firefox 3, Opera, Wine and others easy to install via one click. Necessary: automounting partitions! In my opinion, these FEW changes would change Puppy into a very user-friendly and "I-am-new-to-linux-and-want-something-normal"-friendly distro, to win with Ubuntu! Why not exceed 100MB a little bit? Isn't this limit crazy? The computers run faster, the programs are bigger and bigger... Maybe some useful things could get in instead of counting every byte.

Lots of love

Jabol from Poland
Last edited by jabol240 on Sun 26 Apr 2009, 00:24, edited 1 time in total.

Pizzasgood

#93 Post by Pizzasgood »

Spam is stuff like offers to sell iphones and other pointless pieces of trash with antennas. Not suggestions for improvement!

You think Puppy has a small limit now? When I first started using it in 2005-ish, Puppy was about 46 MB, and the "limit" was 50. Over the years it has inched up to 60, 70, 80, 90, and now 100. So I wouldn't worry about that. Over time it will inch up higher, as the average "old" computer becomes more powerful.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

ttuuxxx

#94 Post by ttuuxxx »

jabol240 wrote:Hello everyone:))
I love you all for this great distro!!!
...I know it may be a spam, what I write here, but I would like to add my wishes to this wish-list...

Multiuser, other desktop environments like xfce, lxde easy to install from pupget, rather than from the forum, and set as default, login screen to handle the above. Another file manager like Thunar or PCMan is minimum! Also Firefox 3, Opera, Wine and others easy to install via one click. Necessary: automounting partitions! In my opinion, these FEW changes would change Puppy into a very user-friendly and "I-am-new-to-linux-and-want-something-normal"-friendly distro, to win with Ubuntu! Why not exceed 100MB a little bit? Isn't this limit crazy? The computers run faster, the programs are bigger and bigger... Maybe some useful things could get in instead of counting every byte.

Lots of love

Jabol from Poland
I hope we never change Rox, its a perfect file manager, it takes very few resources, provides a pin board for icons etc, most file managers don't provide environments, ROX is more than a file manager. You can find thunar in the software section, we had a hard time keeping puppy at 100MB during 4.2. Due to extras we added, it looks pretty good, compared to the rest of the 20-150MB Linux's its the best looking, distro you can get.
If anything I would like to see some sort of openbox, blackbox xfce with rox version in the next version, that would be ideal, xfce still has xdg .desktop issues but each release its getting better.
I'm more for resources over size, if a program is twice the size and takes 1/2 the resources, then we would be better off with a 130MB puppy that older pc's could really enjoy.
VLC is like that with gxine. VLC is about 4MB larger but takes something like 50% less resources when playing dvd's on older pc, basically it would allow older pc's that can't play DVD's be able to, But size does matter with puppy.
Pfind Vs Search Monkey, Search monkey is 118kb pet and is maybe 3 times larger but takes 1/2 the resources because it isn't using gtkdialog3.
I still think a cut down version of Gimp would be great also, I think I have one at 3.2Mb pet. How many people actually install that? tons, I would rather see Gnumeric and inkscapelite out the door and replaced by Gimp. Or BMP instead of Pmusic and alsaplayer. Plus Bur2iso should have 'Quick Format Disk', really if you have to open Pburn to format the disk then why not use PBurn to burn the iso? well unless its a new disk, but people using cdrw/dvdrw must find this pain, I know I do.lol
we don't use automounting partitions due to security reasons, if its unmounted its way more secure, I think in the forum theres a hack for that also.
ttuuxxx

CavedOOde

#95 Post by CavedOOde »

hallos,

1) SMP (enabled in the kernel)

2) Wine

3) Virtualbox (as a working pet)

4) NVidia /Ati drivers (although thats already there for every release)

end

It would be bigger and it will most likely shock alot of people but it would be worth it =P Ow well.... if nothing changes i will live to LOL

Greetz
Caved